New Sub

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by liz07, Jan 12, 2007.

1. liz07

liz07 Rookie

Jan 12, 2007

I'm hoping to start subbing soon for grades K-5 and I've been reading over the messages here for ideas and have come across some really great ones.

I would like to know if anyone has advice on small prizes I can give out for good behavior, I don't want to just give out candy, and would like different ideas for different grade levels. I would really like somethings to be somewhat educational but I'm open to all ideas!!

I look forward to your responses!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 13, 2007

stickers work for ALL grades... and you can find REALLY good deals on them. :) Other things that are fun but may be more suitable for whole-class rewards: coloring sheets, word searches, logic puzzles (the school-agers at my center LOVE Suduko puzzles), crosswords, 5 minutes to talk with their neighbors, board races, silent ball (toss a small nerf-type ball around the room but you can't talk)...

does that give you some ideas?

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 13, 2007

Right - stickers are always fun! Also, you can find good "junk" at Oriental Trading.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2007

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 13, 2007

Gumballs from the gumball machine. Get a small gumball machine at the Dollar Store for a couple dollars.

7. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

Jan 14, 2007

I get pencils in different holiday themes and all the elementary school grades love them

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 15, 2007

The $1 section at Target has some good toys/prizes usually. Plus they change it up every so often too, I'd say every 3 weeks (at least) they have a whole bunch of new stuff. Plus then the old stuff goes on sale for 50% off...! But buying $1 or even $0.50 things does add up...so that's why I normally get that stuff to give out as 1st and 2nd place prizes for a game or something...

9. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Jan 16, 2007

I just bought pencils in the $1 bin at Target for this purpose. They had 10 pencils in a package (which is a great price) and they had sports or heart themes.

10. Waiting 4 Cert

Waiting 4 Cert Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

Pencils are golden in the K - 5 range.. I'm covering a 3rd grade maternity leave and I swear everyday pencils are a major issue. If you want to a small gift that you will reap the benefits of, go with the pencil idea.. :)

11. liz07

liz07 Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

All of your suggestions are excellent! I go to Target pretty regularly and have never seen the $1 bins your referring to, I'll definitely have to make a trip in there to look.

THanks again everyone!

12. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 7, 2007

What a great Idea!!!!! I am going to use that one for sure!

13. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 7, 2007

I normally break the class up into teams by rows or groups of desks. I will put on the board a table with the teams on top. When I introduce myself in the morning I explain that each team will get a mark for bad behavior. The team with the least amount of marks at the end of the day will get a reward. Some days the entire class is rewarded because no one gets a mark...but most of the time, there is a clear winner. I like this method because the students help manage behavior among themselves in their respective teams. They shush each other so their team won't receive a mark. It usually works wonders!!!