New Student

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by JaimeMarie, Feb 20, 2008.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 20, 2008

I know this sounds silly. but I am a relatively new teacher. That is my excuse (errr story, I always get these sayings mixed up) and I'm sticking to it. hahahahahaha

Anyway, I am getting a new student on Monday (right after we all return from break). I have her name on her chair, cubby, coat hook, name on the wall with everyone elses. But the problem is I do not believe she has been in school at all. I think they home schooled her. But these aren't the type of parents that really did it. So how do I make it an easier transition on all of us. I already spoke with my class last Friday and explained that we would have a new friend and how they needed to teach her how to do things in our school. So what else can I do? And how do I fit one more kid in that classroom. We already are tripping over each other.

3. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 20, 2008

I think you've pretty much done all that you can do before you meet the child. Preparing your students for a new friend is about all that you can do until you get to know that child. I've been through MANY new kids this year (it seems like everytime I get one I loose one, then I get one all over again!) and each time it's the same. The kids welcome them to the room and make friends. The new one eventually gets used to our routine and fits right in. Once you see how they react to being in your room you can figure out what needs to be done to make it an easier transition. The only thing that I can think of to recommend, would be to make sure you're putting their desk/seat by someone who will be a help to them, (not a child that talks and doesn't do their work, or a child that calls names).

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 20, 2008

Thanks KBuren. I think I put her in a good place. But I'll check again first thing Monday morning. Friday when I found out was hours before vacation started. Who knows if I paid attention to where I put her chair.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2008

Do you also have a welcome packet for the parents ready?? When I taught kinder, I had a packet, not only of my classroom procedures and rules, but also alphabet cards, number cards, colors, shapes, sight words, fluency books, etc. I explained to the parents to use these to play games with their child. I also told them what we have learned so far in the year. This way, it gently pushes the parents to work with their child a bit more. By the way, my first teaching job was an overflow kindergarten class. I was constently losing and getting new kids. Half the time, they would show up in the middle of class. Then, I had to stop everythig to talk to the parents and inform them on this and that. Because of this, I had to always have name cards, packets, everything ready to go. I had 40 kids go through my class that year.

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 20, 2008

I had this happen...family "home-schooled"(not really). So I did all of the things you did, plus I assigned a student helper. They basically partnered this child until everything sunk in. This helper child was asked specifically to make sure that the new student came to story rug, hung up coat, put name on paper, etc. And I chose a student who was only to happy to do this task. They were a mini-me. :)

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 20, 2008

NOOOOO I forgot to get one out. I'll be busy early Monday morning.

8. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 20, 2008

Good luck! :) Let us know how it turns out! I love the idea of a packet for the parents!! I'll have to work on that over the summer if I don't move up next year ;)

9. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 20, 2008

I hope it works out well for you. Kids learn fast. I was going to suggest the buddy thing too.

You know I home school my kids, but I do make them put their names on their papers and I don't let them act like wild beasts (most of the time). I hope that your new student feels comfortable quickly, I'm sure he or she will fit in before you know it.