New Student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by stephanie90102, Oct 25, 2006.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Oct 25, 2006

Today was my first day as a long term sub, and surprisingly, it went pretty well. That is, until I received the biggest shock. I was told I was receiving a new student tomorrow. Eeekkk! I already called the original teaher and she told me where things were to set up her desk, but at the same time, I don't know how to welcome her into the classroom appropriately. This is first grade. Does anyone have any tips?? Thanks! Stephanie:eek:

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 25, 2006

well I'm not sure if I'm the right one to answer this because I'm not a teacher, but I would welcome her to the school, welcome her/him to the room. show her where her desk is, explain where things are in the class, and then that the teacher is sick and your there for the teacher until the regular teacher is not sick. Maybe if you have time let the kids in the class say some things about the teacher (and pray that they all say nice things). ;)

4. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Oct 25, 2006

greet her at her eye level and let them know that you are really glad she is here. also, you could think of a reliable student to help the new student out throughout the day. the most important thing is to make the new student feel welcomed, safe, and comfortable. good luck!

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 25, 2006

I think what 1st-yr said about giving him/her a buddy for the day is a good idea. For the most part kid's (especially that age) would probably be excited to be "in charge" of someone for the day, and love telling him/her all about the school, kids, teacher, etc. Plus it would eliminate the whole awkwardness of the new child picking out their own group to hang out with.

I would definitely NOT have them introduce themselves to the class, maybe have them tell you an interesting fact about themselves and you introduce them and their fact to the class. Maybe something about a pet, then this would get the class talking about pets and they could all see they had something in common with the "new kid". Hopefully this would start conversation or self introductions (during recess, perhaps) later in the day. Good luck! :)