New student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by leighbball, Dec 9, 2005.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

I got a new student this week...he's a sweetheart. He's a foster child who is currently like an hour away from his home. He seems pretty smart and the kids have really taken to him. he has a foster brother in 5th grade at my school too.

I'm just hoping that I don't get too attached...I have a habit of getting attached to my students...and I have no idea how long he'll be here. DYFS has already picked him up once from school.

I just feel like he's in my class for a reason. Like I'm meant to have him during this rough time or something...does that sound crazy?

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2005

No that does not sound crazy at all. I had a foster girl in my class last year and I was devastated when she was taken out. I still worry about her! She was a handful but I feel we connected.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

I do a thing at the end of each day where I ask "How was your day?" and they respond by giving me a high five, handshake, hug, or a combo of the 3. he gave me a hug and smiled at the end of his first day...that made me feel so good:)

5. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2005

I think it is great that we can make a child like that feel good! And that we can feel really good about it too!

6. herins

herins Companion

Dec 10, 2005

For his sake, don't worry about getting too attached. It sounds like he's lucky to be in your class, and hopefully he'll get to stay for a while.

7. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Dec 10, 2005

It sounds like he could use someone getting attached right now. We have quite a few foster kids in my school and they really thrive on the attention they get while they are in school. Enjoy him while you have him, he will remember you for the rest of his life because of it.