New Student Teacher

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Harmony2, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 27, 2012

Hey everyone!

Just wondering who else will be sharing the next few months with me??

I will be in a 3rd grade placement. I am meeting my CT tomorrow to get the room ready. I am very excited, but also very nervous; because life always has a way of making the road more adventurous, I have not been in the classroom in two years. :eek:

Previously, I worked as a One on One Exceptional Assistant with Students having Behavioral Issues, and also in a 3-4-5th grade LD classroom. This, in addition to my Field Placements and BA/Masters coursework. I know I have the training, but I am afraid of being "rusty". I am also praying for a "good fit" with my CT; I do want a CT that challenges me and is not afraid to push me to my limits...but I am not sure where they are right now,lol.

Looking forward to sharing, venting, and learning throughout the next 75 days!!

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 27, 2012

NJ I see! Enjoy it!

4. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 27, 2012

:)

5. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 27, 2012

Mathemagician..if you are indeed what your name implies, I may be consulting you. :). My Masters Thesis was on Math Anxiety, and while I can say I am much more comfortable with Math, I much prefer teaching Language Arts, :)

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 27, 2012

Sure thing! Good luck!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Best of luck to both of you!

Harmony, don't sweat being rusty. After a while, being in a classroom becomes a part of who you are. I left teaching for 5 years to be home with my kids, then returned...it felt like I had never left.

Hang in there, and have fun!

8. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 29, 2012

Well so far so good!!! My CT is very very nice, and has already given me a ton of stuff. :)

We spent all day yesterday and today working on the classroom, and it is a great experience to see it turning out so well. They had painted so all of her stuff was in storage. I am basically seeing a complete room creation in progress. It makes me really want my own, I have to admit, lol.

We seem to mesh as far as our personalities. We are the same age, and have a lot of similar interests and philosophies as far as teaching. She is a career changer like me and has shared a lot of tips and ideas as far as what I should do as soon as I am finished in order to get a position.

Today I came home laden with teachers manuals to read and get familiar with, though I will be mostly observing the first couple weeks.

I so hope things stay positive, as she has helped me lose some of my "haven't been in the classroom in a while" anxiety. :)

9. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 29, 2012

....oh, and I consider it a bonus that I did not
    A. Jam or break the copier
    B. Jam or break the laminator

:)

10. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 29, 2012

On Day 1? With your own curriculum? Wow.

I am observing at least the first full week, and possibly by the second full week I might take on a lesson or two. I will write my own lesson plans but I was already given the district curriculum as a guideline and my lessons have to meet their guidelines as well as all the standards. I also have to stay on their pacing schedule. I couldn't imagine creating my own curriculum, unless by curriculum you are referring to lesson plans?

11. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

Hi,
    I'm currently student teaching as well. I went in for teacher pre-service week and the first day of school but my official day as a student teacher is tomorrow. I have a 5th grade placement and my supervising teacher is great so far. We're both laid back which can be a good thing or a bad thing. Either way I'm looking forward to graduation. lol

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

This is how I eased my way into being alone after the 3rd week.
    We had 2 block classes, 77 minutes each (same content / grade)
    Week 1: observed teacher. By Friday I think I did warm up with with them.
    Week 2: teacher taught 1st class, I started with the warm up for the second, but somehow I was able to go keep going teach the same lesson as he did to the 1st class. Didn't do the entire class period, only about half.
    By week 3 I was teaching part of the 1st class, and the entire 2nd class every day.

After that he told me what he wanted me to cover within the week, which activities I should include, etc. He provided me with the warm up activities, as he already made them before.

As time went on I had more and more freedom with the activities, etc, certain topics, it was great.

13. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Sep 1, 2012

Hi, I am also student teaching this semester and my first placement is 5th grade. This past week we got set up and the kids start on Tuesday. Looking forward to hearing about everyone's experience!