New Student Problems

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by kinderteacher20, Dec 6, 2006.

1. kinderteacher20

kinderteacher20 Rookie

Dec 6, 2006

I have a student who started in our Kindergarten classroom about three or four weeks ago. In the beginning he was very shy, but has changed significantly over the weeks (doesn't everyone? ;) He is also chronically absent/late; he'll usually be absent for two days, then comes in at about 10:30 the next day, absent the next day, 10:00 arrival, etc. (School begins at 8). I did talk to the mother, and she said she is going to try and get them to school closer to 8. Because of this, he does not have too good of an idea of our classroom procedures/routines. We did go over the rules, behavior plan, etc. during the first couple of days he was there, but now it seems as if he could care less. He constantly talks at inopportune times, which usually gets a lot of the other kids going, and will not listen when I ask him to stop. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

If a child is continually absent or late, then I would speak to the principal and set up a meeting with the mother. This is distrupting your class learning time and it's really quite ridiculous how the mother thinks she can bring him in whenever she feels like it.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2006

And be sure to bring up (if kindergarten is mandatory in your neck of the woods) that failure to attend for a minimum number of days is automatic grounds for retention. At least it is here.
    Kim

5. Heart2Heart

Heart2Heart Rookie

Dec 7, 2006

I would also set aside time to talk with the child and tell him your expectations again and the consequences for not following the rules such as no recess or free time etc. Make a behavior chart if you do not have one and begin marking it each day for appropriate and inappropriate behavior. Let him know that you mean business. Develop a quiet signal for him and the whole class if you do not have one. Quiet signals really work. It can be Hi-Five or 1,2, 3 eyes on me and students sit and look at the teacher. It can be a snap of the finger or something else.