New student... On a day I won't be there

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 9, 2020

I will be getting a new 1st grader on a day when I will not be there.

What do you suggest to do to help the student on a day when the rest of the class is relying on sub plans?

3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Mar 9, 2020

1. Ask some of your best students to show the new child around and be kind.
    2. Make sure the sub knows and adjusts levels if needed. :) Leave behind lower level copies of assignments just in case.
    3. Do you have any clue what this child's background or level is? ( You could use a computerized program that your school uses for awhile if you know the student is on a different lvl.)
    4. Maybe give the new student good partners for morning and afternoon. I have had kids show up who do not read in the past. Maybe tell the partners to read to the student if needed.
    5. If the kid can write or draw, maybe have them work w/ a partner to tell about themselves.
    6. Maybe use a game for the kids to get to know each other.
    7. If the other kids are working and you know the sub well, maybe ask her to do some quick checks on reading, writing, and math.
    Good luck! ;)

Backroads likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 10, 2020

Yes, I agree about giving the new student some buddies to show him/her around and what to do to follow the sub plans. They will have to make do until you come back.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2020

I may be late replying, but it has happened a few times in my career and I never did anything special. The students seem to always naturally take a new student under their wings.

If I have advance notice I'll prep some things (I teach K so I label coat hook, cubby, make a book box, etc.) and of course I let the sub know.

Several years ago I was out for 6 weeks and I got a new student on the first day I was out.

Backroads likes this.