New Staples Policy (Re: $.01 deals)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chicagoturtle, May 24, 2012.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

May 24, 2012

I'm sure many of you got the e-mail from Staples today- but it seems starting this year you will need to use your rewards card to get the $.01 deal and you will pay full price on up to 25 and get the money you would have saved if you bought it for $.01 back on your rewards card. I'm pretty sure this is going to stop the deal of going to multiple Staples at a time. I'm pretty sure I'm interpreting right. Luckily- we almost have enough folders left from last year. Really the folders are the only deal I go to multiple Staples a day for.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2012

That stinks!
    I know it is abused, so I completely understand. I didn't buy anything last year since they added the $5 additional purchase requirement.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 24, 2012

Say it ain't so!! :(

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 24, 2012

Boooooooooo!

Man, I stocked my first classroom so much with those penny deals. We're still using all that Staples glue! Folders too! Markers and crayons have definitely taken a hit, but they lasted all year. I would have been broke without them.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 24, 2012

Jeez, first Staples, what's next...Vistaprint?

Oh, the horror!

7. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

May 24, 2012

I saw the email too... It's disappointing. I have used tons of those spiral notebooks that I got last summer!

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 25, 2012

I signed up a few months ago but did not get the email. Is it possible it's only some parts of the country?

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 25, 2012

I do need a laptop though, so looks like I'm stuck buying one from them so I can actually use the cash since they don't just cut you a check for the difference, you will have to spend it at the store I assume.

Do the other stores have the same kind of deals (up to 25 of each for teachers)? The only other kind in my area is office depot.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 25, 2012

Can you use the rewards card for the penny sale the next week?

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 25, 2012

Could someone post the e-mail?

12. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

May 26, 2012

I would also like to see that email. I get emails from staples all the time and have not received that one.

13. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

May 27, 2012

Here is a copy of the email I got:

Important change for teachers.
    Extended limits on Extreme Deals are now 100% back in Staples Rewards.*

Last year you took advantage of extended limits during the Back to School season. This year, instead of getting an instant discount on additional quantities of Extreme Deals, you'll get 100% of your purchase back in Staples Rewards up to 25 items.
    Just look for Extreme Deals on the front cover of our weekly ads for July and August 2012. With these savings, going back to school will be a lot easier.

*Get 100% back in Staples Rewards when you buy any Extreme Deals during Back to School (July/August) 2012. Valid for Teacher Rewards members only. In store only. While supplies last. Maximum quantity eligible for Rewards is 25 including items purchased as part of the Extreme Deal. Items purchased over Extreme Deal limit will be charged at reg. retail price. Price eligible for Rewards is the amount paid at checkout after application of all promotions, coupons, instant savings, and Rewards redemptions. Purchaser is responsible for paying applicable sales tax. No cash/credit back. Limit one Staples Rewards account per person or at any mailing address. Staples Rewards are issued online monthly when the value of the Reward is at least $10. Rewards expire no less than 60 days after issuance. Monthly balances of less than $10 will roll over each month until the minimum is met for that calendar quarter. If the $10 minimum for the quarter has not been met, the balance will expire at the end of the quarter. For full program details, visit staplesrewards.com.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 27, 2012

Is it possible that they sent it to people that used their account at more than one store and are trying to prevent them from doing that in the future? That might explain why everyone didn't get it.

15. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

May 27, 2012

I only went to one staples last year and got 25 of everything I didn't really work it to get more than the limit...

16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 27, 2012

I wonder why they haven't sent it to everyone then. Are you all in the same part of the country? I'm in NJ and no email. Did anyone from NJ get the e-mail?

17. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

May 27, 2012

I only got the stated limit at my local store as well. I know that the one time I asked for more than the limit the store manager gave it to me and I did not even use a reward card.

18. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 27, 2012

I am very upset - the rewards are available on the quarter - by that time school is well underway and it is too late to get the supplies.

If they are using the rewards card to cut the cheating, then why can't they use the card to keep people from using it more than once for the same purchases or even send us a special coupon that is used just once since the cards are limited one per address anyway? We could then us the coupon that is sent to us with the reward id printed on it, the coupon is surrendered with the purchase, and can't be used more than once? There have to be other ways to do this. We are paying for more and more out of our pockets and this feels like one more slap in the face.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 27, 2012

I always look at it as, "These people don't have to do anything nice at all. I'll take whatever I can get." It will be nice to get to restock or make another purchase later in the school year.

20. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 27, 2012

I enjoyed the deals while they existed but I doubt I'll be doing a whole bunch with this new policy. Paying up front and getting the rewards later will be nice, and I'll take some advantage, but nothing like I did before. That's okay - their store, their policy. I appreciated what they gave me in years past.

However, I won't be spending more money out of pocket than I did last year or the year before. The school is buying very few supplies for us this upcoming year. I won't be making up the difference. If I run out of rubber bands or staples, I run out. I am so tired of spending more money on other people's kids' education than they do. So I called it quits about a month ago.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 27, 2012

Totally feel you, NCScience!

22. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 27, 2012

Someone should start a petition we could all sign. I would but I'm to irritated by the fact that I never got to use the offer once.

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 27, 2012

A petition for what? To demand that they continue to give us free stuff? It actually COSTS the company money to sell us items for only a penny or a quarter. Those items are intended to get parents into their store to buy the rest of the supply list there. Loss leaders. The company graciously GIVES teachers these deals to help lighten our load.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 27, 2012

That's what happens when people abuse things like the Staples sales. I remember many posters complaining that the mean people at the store would only let them get a certain number of something so they had to go back 10 times. A few people ruin things for the rest of us. I agree with NCScienceTeach. We should not be spending so much money on school supplies.

25. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 27, 2012

TV Networks bring back TV shows that lose money sometimes because they don't want to alienate people. Or they bring them back to stop the mass delivery of Peanuts to there offices (oh I miss Jericho:(:(:()

Teachers spend a lot of money at staples. If they suddenly threatened on mass to stop, the deal would be back. They could still raise money by increasing the amount of money you have to spend to qualify if they really needed to. It's not like all of us only spend 5 bucks when we go. They might as well set it at 20.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 27, 2012

I will miss the deals, but I don't need to fight anybody to get them back. I took advantage of the penny sales whenever I could because the cost to me was nominal compared to the payout of having supplies available for my students. If it turns out that I can no longer buy supplies for my students, then I simply won't do it anymore. I cannot afford to buy supplies at regular price and then get reimbursed. I also can't afford to spend $20 or whatever before I am eligible to take advantage of special offers and penny sales. It is what it is. My students will just have to find a way to bring their own supplies.

27. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 28, 2012

Nope. Before the limit teachers would go through the line over and over and spend no additional money. I don't know many teachers who go in and spend more than the $5 and they only spend the $5 to get the penny stuff.

I also work retail, and many teachers have a sense of entitlement and it drives me nuts :dizzy:

28. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 28, 2012

Although I'm bummed about the change I can totally see how this decision was made from a business perspective. Will I get less stuff? Of course. But I will still buy from them, take advantage of some deals, and appreciate the great customer service I get when I shop at the one local to me.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 28, 2012

I completely understand their decision as well. They are a business, after all, and not a charity.

I find everything there to be overpriced, however, so the penny deals and teacher appreciation deals were the only things I was interested in.

30. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 28, 2012

Yes, I can usually get stuff cheaper at Walmart. But the Staples is 2 min away so sometimes convenience wins out. And we always get our cases of computer paper from there as they usually have a rebate special of some sort for it. I finally remembered to use a $24 Visa card from them that we got for a rebate a month or so ago. Used it this morning to shave off $24 from my grocery shopping bill.

31. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 28, 2012

I have no problem with their new policy. They are a business and need to think about their bottom line.

I have an issue with using their rewards, though, because of something that happened. I don't remember the dollar amounts, so the ones in my example are made up.

I had $8 in rewards. I bought 2 $10 flash drives. Later I returned one and they only gave me $6 back since I used the rewards to buy them. That made no sense to me. If had only purchased one flash drive that day I would have only had to pay $2. But since I returned one they kept half of my rewards money.

(I have no idea if I typed that out coherently, but I was upset because I didn't see their logic. I have no desire to use their rewards anymore.)

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2012

I've posted this in previous 'Staples' threads before:

"I'm a former marketing major, my original college degree is a BS in business and had a career in sales and marketing before becoming a professional educator. The crazy penny sales and VERY discounted items you see in store ads (crayons for 12 cents, pencils for 19 cents, etc etc) are called 'loss leaders'. The stores are not making ANY money on these items(sometimes they are actually selling the items at BELOW cost)- they are enticements to get you into the store where you will hopefully spend money. Hate to break it to you, but stores are in business to make money, not to give away items...even if you are a teacher. "

I didn't get the email, but the 100% back on your Teachers Rewards card is a way to reward you for your store loyalty and a way to get you to come back and make a purchase at another time. In these economic times, both educators and businesses do what they can to 'save a buck'.

A petition is a just bit ungrateful, IMO.

33. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 28, 2012

:yeahthat:

34. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

May 29, 2012

Didn't get the e-mail (just double checked to make sure I didn't accidentally skip it)

I agree with Cza. I appreciate the rewards that I get for shopping at their store.

I took advantage of a reward for buying paper (100% back) and a triple rewards on recycling ink cartridges and ended up saving 80 dollars off of my new Nook Tablet. I would not have purchased it w/o having the rewards and I absolutely love it.

35. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 6, 2012

That sucks! The folders is the only thing I need more than 25 of and yes I go to multiple stores! I have to buy over 100 and the penny deals on them are helpful. Guess I won't be going to Staples his year! :(

36. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 6, 2012

Amen!!!

37. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2012

Last year was my first official year teaching and I didn't utilize the deals, it seemed complicated lol- now it just seems 100x more complicated. Luckily my school provides pencils and the kids are pretty good about bringing in supplies. I'll go to Target for deals on crayons. That's really all I need in terms of supplies. I'll probably end up buying some pencils too, but I have more than plenty of notebooks and folders.