:/ New SS teacher in need of advice/help

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Armyflower, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Armyflower

Armyflower Rookie

Feb 23, 2015

I recently started working for a school teaching middle school social studies and I love it but I think I am in over my head, the school is a new charter school and the population I teach face many challenges, I enjoy the kids and their attitudes at times because they are the reason why I decided to teach but I don't have a lunch break and I feel burned out by 2pm. I start my classes at 8 am and I do have a planning period of about 30-40 minutes but most of the time spent in meetings and running around meeting the needs of the students. By the time lunch time comes around, I am left with 15- 10 minutes to eat my lunch. I love being in the classroom but I feel so tire and low energy, did I mention that I don't even have a chance to go to the bathroom because I teach back to back. Trying to stay positive.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2015

Hang in there! This sounds a little like my first year teaching at a private school. I only had a 30-40 min prep twice a week, and we had to do unpaid lunch and recess duty every week. It was on a rotating basis and some days it would end up that I had no morning break, no lunch break, and no prep. I honestly found it so draining that I ended up changing schools.

Is there any way you can carve out that lunch time for yourself? In my current school, I have had to say no to students wanting to make up work at lunch (we have designated office hours for that purpose anyway), as well as no to lunch meetings whenever possible. I just know by now that if I don't get at least 15 minutes to sit down quietly and eat, I will crash and burn by the end of the day. You have to take care of yourself first in order to be able to take good care of your students!

4. Armyflower

Armyflower Rookie

Feb 24, 2015

thank you :)

thank you for the feed back, if it continues I think I will have to find a new school for the new school year, having a break to just breath is so important.

5. allyv

allyv Rookie

Mar 20, 2015

Wow sounds a lot like me! I also teach a charter school that is relatively new, and I just started actually, and since I started, I realized I practically hit the ground the running! First thing I noticed: 15-20 minutes to shove your food down your throat! I started leaving the food on my desk and taking quick breaks while the kids work to shove something in so I don't have to rush during lunch -_-

I also know what you mean about the bathroom, but honestly, I don't let back to back teaching stop me from going to the bathroom. While the kids are switching classes and the halls are being monitored by other teachers, I run to the bathroom and quickly use it. I can't teach with a painfully full bladder!

But the worst part of it all?! I teach at TWO schools! So at least be happy you don't have to do that! :)

6. Armyflower

Armyflower Rookie

Mar 22, 2015

Hi

Wow two schools that is a lot, I started to also use the bathroom and take a break because I cant make myself sick, I would be no good to the students and my family. Thanks for sharing its nice to know Im not alone.

7. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 21, 2015

Feels similar to my school. I have no prep period.... officially they make it before school 7-8am. But that isn't really a prep period. I also only have half an hour for lunch. I also have to do lunch duty twice a week. Three days a week after school we have some kind of obligation until 4pm. So those days I have no prep period, basically no lunch, don't leave til 4 and still don't have anything ready for the next day.