New Special Education Teacher

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teach4joy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. teach4joy

teach4joy Rookie

Dec 11, 2008

Okay Hi guys. I have some pretty exciting news, I have just been hired for a severely handicapped 1-2 grade teacher. This is my first teaching position (I've done substituting) and I am starting mid year. Does anybody have any advice, lesson plans, or activities I should do the first few weeks for when I start. Something like introducing myself to the students and trying to make connections with them and the parents. I am really looking forward to starting but kinda nervous as far as the class goes. Should I leave the schedule how the teacher had it before or come up with my own? What type of supplies There are 8 students, 3 aides and 1 one-on-one in the class. The students are basically learning life skills, and I haven't been able to look over and any IEPs. Anything will help all of your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

3. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Dec 12, 2008

Set up a schedule (see old posts) but stick to it. Set a routine and don't change it for at least the first few weeks

routine and consistancy are everything

4. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Dec 12, 2008

Come up with some fun activities for the first week (until you get to know your students): cooking (fruit salad, baking cookies etc) is always a great choice!
    Make a BINGO with students' names.

Send out a Welcome Letter to the parents the very first day! Make some sort of home-school communication books for all of your students to send out weekly/daily notes.

Look at their IEPs to see when they're DUE!!!! You don't want to be surprised with the IEPs coming up. Create a calendar for the IEPs.

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

5. teach4joy

teach4joy Rookie

Dec 13, 2008

Thanks so much for both of your inputs! I already came up with a tentative schedule. Oh and I made a parent letter introducing myself to the parents, the Principle wants me to mail them out before the students start. Thanks Chokita for the Cooking and Bingo ideas... those both sound really fun, especially the cooking. I was thinking of buying those spiral notebooks for each student to send messages back and forth daily, so I could write about their day and parents could write questions or comments to me... also maybe a monthly newsletter. Okay I have a good start, but still keep the comments coming... more the better =)

6. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Dec 13, 2008

It's hard to start mid-year. I transferred to my current school also mid-year, in January, 1 year ago, so I just had to jump in and try to float!
    Good luck! :)

7. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Dec 13, 2008

Congrats! That's exciting. I have a school to home note that I made here: http://www.positivelyautism.com/downloads/note_homeschool.doc . You could just make front and back copies and put them in a notebook or folder with brads for daily communication. A lot of teachers I know use the spiral notebook though, as you mentioned.

I have some educational activities on my website at http://www.PositivelyAutism.com (click on "Free Materials") I also have a newsletter so I hope you'll sign up (it's free and only comes out every other month).

Good luck!

Nicole

8. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Dec 13, 2008

9. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Dec 14, 2008

My kids absolutely LOVED my "new teacher book". I took pictures of myself and things that were important to me; my cats, dog, family members, foods I like, activities I like, etc. Then I just put a few simple sentences with them and boom, easy "New Teacher" book. We read it daily for the first week. It opened up a lot of communication even though I have a very non verbal class!

10. stepka

stepka Comrade

Dec 14, 2008

What a lovely idea. That could work for all levels and age groups really, if you tweak it.

11. teach4joy

teach4joy Rookie

Dec 15, 2008

Wow... thank all of you soo much. I feel so much more prepared. These links are GREAT! I can't wait to get started =)