New Special Ed Teacher...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by upstatenytchr, Aug 31, 2009.

1. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

Hello Everyone,

I will be starting a new special ed position next week. I have done pre-school special ed as well as gen ed kindergarten. I will be a consultant/resource room teacher between 2 schools. I have just been informed of this.

I will share a room at one of the schools and have my own at the other. At the school where I share a room, it looks like I will be with the 3rd grade inclusion class. I was also just informed that I have a room here. However, this grade level may change depending on scheduling conflicts between the two schools.

At the school where I have my own room, I will be taking on kids that the full-time sped teacher at this building cannot take on, so I'm guessing I could be doing multiple grade levels.

Since I was basically given somewhat of a picture of what I am doing last week (plus having jury duty which ended last Friday) neither of the rooms is set up, I don't know what I'm doing, and I'm freaking out...how will I teach these kids???? I have no special ed experience!!!!! Please help with some advice/suggestions....what should I set these rooms up with??? What rules should I have...I'm so scared and nervous!!!!

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2009

Look at your students' IEPs first to get an idea of what you're supposed to be supporting them with and their strengths. They will need accomodations and modifications in their general education classrooms too. The teachers should be aware of this too.

Classroom Set-Up: Should be more functional, not necessarily artsy. I would use centers with your students because it will give them a time to work on basic skills while you help students with smaller groups.

It depends on what kinds of instructional activities you are going to be doing, you may want a calendar in your rooms. I would also post a schedule so that they know what resource subject you are covering during that time.

You will need individual desks for them to do "independent work" as well.

I would ask for some tables so that you can work on smaller group instruction.

You want to get some materials that will help them with basic academic skill development, drills, ect.

For behavior issues, I highly recommend this site:
    http://www.redandgreenchoices.com
    It gives your students consequences (both positive and negative) when they choose to do something.
    Ex: Picture of student disrupting teacher= picture of student not getting choice of reward. It allows your students to be in charge of their OWN BEHAVIOR CHOICES.

Some of your students may have behavior plans, so be aware.

4. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

Hi Aspie--

Thanks so much for your response...I really appreciate it! I couldn't access the link...is there another place I can get this information?

5. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

try googling

redandgreenchoices.com

BTW, You're welcome. I enjoy helping other teachers.