New Special Ed. Coteacher and books

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Tropical, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Tropical

Tropical New Member

Jul 17, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I was just hired as a new special ed coteacher. I have no clue what to expect. Are there any books or websites that can give me a few pointers on teaching strategies and filling out the paperwork (what paperwork would I be responsible for besides IEPS?). I am so nervous about this new year. What are the responsibilities of a special ed. coteacher? What is expected of me? How would I be evaluated being that I am not the content teacher and the classes that I will be coteaching in isn't even my background...
    Can someone please give me some insight, I am a nervous wreck.

Thanks a bunch.

3. bridge

bridge Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Hi, and welcome, Tropical!! I understand your nervous-wreckness. I'm changing positions this fall, and am majorly struggling with getting prepared. The people on this forum have given me great ideas.
    I taught sp.ed. for the past 10 years in a variety of ways. I'm not sure of the title, sp.ed. coteacher. I realize that is what you're having trouble with, but I'm thinking that it is similar to our "inclusion teacher" position here in TN. Since NCLB, the state has pushed hard for all or almost all sp.needs students to attend regular education classes with support from special ed. teachers. So for the past 2 years I have been an "inclusion teacher". I've taught no classes of my own, but attend the regular ed. classes with my assigned sp.ed. students. I've also done the normal sp.ed. duties such as write IEPs and conduct IEP meetings........ Does this appear to be what you'll be expected to do? I have some ideas to share (it's rare when I don't!!), but rather than writing them all out, I'll wait to see a response from you. I can share what I did and learned the last couple of years. It was a confusing couple of years, but I survived!
    By the way, is your background/training in special ed.?
    bridge

4. Tropical

Tropical New Member

Jul 17, 2007

Hi Bridge,

Thank you sooooo much for your response. That is why I am freaking out...My background is Business Education..not even close to being special ed. I truly need help...and you are right I will be considered an inclusion teacher. I am assigned to about 30 students and will coteach in their math and language arts classes. So with that being said, what is expected of me? What will my job role consist of? How will I be evaluated when my background is not even language arts or math. How do you fill out IEP's and conduct meetings and what should I do the first day of school. I can't give a syllabus so what do I do?..Please help me, I am so nervous...

5. bridge

bridge Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

What grade(s) are you responsible for? How severe are the disabilities?
    Who is your special ed. supervisor? Do you have a central office where the system special ed. people/ head honchos are? Who was responsible for hiring you?
    Are there any other sp. ed. people in your building? Call the principal and find out how you can contact them. Have you written any IEPs at all? I think that Florida may use some type of standard form, and if you can get a look at one of them, they aren't too hard to write. But there are a lot of legalities, and you have to be aware of them. Why don't you go to the Florida Dept. of Ed. website and see what kind of info. you can download there.

I taught sp. ed. in 6th grade, primarily, in TN. We did a lot of inclusion the last couple of years. My schedule (and my aid's) all day was to move with the kids to their regular ed. classes and help in any way I could. I helped the reg. ed. kids also, if I had time. I felt the position was more of an aid job. But ideally, you should be helping the reg. ed. teachers plan their classes so that the needs of the sp.ed. kids are considered even before they get to the classroom. If the reg. ed. teacher is agreeable, you may get to teach sometimes, but some of the teachers don't like anyone else to teach their classes. I wouldn't worry about that at all to begin with. That can be worked out within the next couple of months. Have you been able to read the kids IEPs yet? You'll need to know what modifications and accommodations they have written in their IEPs. Besides getting some local help, you'll need to learn about your students' needs first. Are your supervisors aware of your qualifications? Surely they plan on some training for you!!

6. logicrules

logicrules Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Tropical, if I'm reading your post correctly you've been hired as a special education teacher, and sounds like inclusion to me, as well (I've heard the term co-teaching as well, which is what inclusion really *should* be in my humble opinion). However, forgive me for asking the question: are you certified in special education? Maybe in your state this isn't necessary. But in mine (Texas) you must not only have a teaching certification but be qualified to teach in your subject area. Inclusion, however, doesn't require you to have a math or language arts 'content' qualification. Only if you had your own self-contained classroom (teacher of record). But since your teaching specialty is business education I can understand why you would be nervous. I recently interviewed for a resource math (spec. ed) position on a high school level. My special ed certification only clears me to teach through Jr. High, not high school. I realized if I had been offered this job I would eventually have to pass a rather tough math state exam in order to be considered "highly qualified."

Is your teaching certification in business education and not special ed?