New Spec Ed Teacher

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by bnickie, Nov 2, 2006.

1. bnickie

bnickie New Member

Nov 2, 2006

I am teaching a MOCI class (this is my very first year teaching), and I feel like I am drowning...... I have 7-9th graders and their academic ability ranges from lower then a pre-school (this would be my guy that is labeled SXI) to my highest student who is at a 2nd grade level. I have 7 hours in the day and I feel like things are falling apart. I basically have my first hour as doing small jobs, second hour is calendar which we do as a job and I am also going to start brain gym this hour, then 3rd hour I have pretty much down as reading/writing (it is hard becuase everyone is at a different level so I can not just teach as a large group) 4th hour is math although math is falling apart because I don't know much to do with them (my highest guy struggles with money) I have to think of some different social skills to work on. Some people have told me to go with a theme and that will make it better.
    I AM SO LOST!!!! I went to school for 6 years for something I love and now I feel like I am so lost I hate it.
    Any suggestions

3. teacherbeader

teacherbeader New Member

Nov 2, 2006

Hi Bnicki,
    I can appreciate how you feel. Thirty-four years ago I started teaching special education. In Wisconsin, we call your type of category Cognitively Delayed. I would suggest some of the following if you have them at your disposal: Find a friendly teacher who is working with the same type of student you have and spend time talking with her/him. If you have a program support person, contact them to help you. I found with low functioning older students, it is best to have many short activities planned rather than longer periods. If you are on the school's schedule, break your periods into shorter sessions. Don't forget to read to the kids. They LOVE to be read to, no matter how old they are. If your school has a parent organization, contact the president and get parent volunteers (reg. ed. parents) to come in an hour or two. Do you have any community resources? The public library in our town welcome the classes for 'literature hour' actually they read a story or two to the kids and let them pick out books. The first thing you have to do is get over trying to meet EVERY single need of each child. Get a routine down first and that will come. The best advice I can give is: relax. (Yeah, right) You sound very conscientious but don't feel like you can't ever show an educational video once a week that fits into something you're teaching. This may give you a few minute's break. Hope this helps,
    beadteacher