NEW SMALL APARTMENT! Need Decor ideas Pictures are included

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Feb 8, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 8, 2017

Hi you guys,

After a draining day of moving yesterday, me and my fiance has finally somewhat settled in. The place is so small, but sort of cozy. I am still trying to adjust to a small place. After a few tweaking here and there I think and I hope it will grow on me as my fiance is already enjoying the space over the larger apartment. He really likes it. Friday we will be putting up curtains and next week I am going to buy a kitchen cart and microwave cart for the Kitchen. The only bad thing about the apartment is an odor. The odor smells like a really old house. My fiance thinks that the odor comes from either the AC not being for awhile or the new flooring or paint. It was built in 1984 so it has a popcorn ceiling and sliding doors for the closests. The cabinets were put in a month before we moved in. I believe the landlord is trying to revamp all the apartments with new utilities
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG] n [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Feb 8, 2017

Gonzo makes odor eliminating rock bags that might help with the smell. It sounds weird, but they certainly worked on getting the paint smell out of a car after it came back from the body shop. Those would take care of it if it's paint or like a mothball old smell. If it's a musty/mildew-y old smell, check for mold and put out some DampRid. DampRid comes scented and unscented. A closet pack of that would keep your clothes from absorbing the smell too. You can get both at Home Depot, Menards, etc. for less than $10.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2017

Is the front door directly leading into your living room? Regardless, you should go
    With limited yet high impact wall decor. I'd lose the dart board. Consider a mirror, maybe black wall decorations: quote canvas, shelving for candles, metallic accents. Flat screen tv? O you have a dining area? What is bedroom like?

You had odor issues before moving in. If it's adhesive from carpet or other construction material fumes, you should be questioning.... not good for your health.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  5. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 8, 2017

We ended up buying scented candles, and fragrances to kill the odor. I mentioned it to the landlord and she said the smell is from the renovation and the fact that no one lived in it for a some months. The place now smells Perfect

6. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 8, 2017

The bedroom is junky with clothes because we haven't unpacked everything yet. just clothes in baskets and bags. I am unsure on what decor for the bedroom

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 18, 2017

Your bathroom is nice, yet simple, so that's great. I love home decor. My style is a combo of organic, modern, beachy decor. I love color too!

I remember when I was apt hunting. This one place had an "old odor" to it too. I didn't pick that place. I think for the amount I paid, I chose the best place.

8. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Feb 19, 2017

That tall lamp in the living room, where did you get it? I like it a lot!

9. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 19, 2017

I got It from Wal-Mart for just 20 dollars

10. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Feb 20, 2017

I have a strange obsession with decorating/decor/organizing for small, cozy spaces, so forgive me because I am all over your apartment. It reminds me a lot of my first place- although we bought a house last year, prior to that my husband and I were living in a glorified studio that I actually loved. I spent a lot of time working out storage solutions that were both functional and decorative.

Your kitchen looks like it is similar in size to ours, though with slightly more cabinet space! We had a cubby shelving unit kind of like this that I put colored bins (for pretty cheap) in and used to store kitchen stuff like canned goods and other non perishables, tupperware, paper products, etc.

Mirrors are always good to make a space seem larger. Over your couch could be a good spot, since placing in near a window with natural light can also help make things seem brighter. Mirrors seem to be less common in kitchens, but the right one on that empty wall by your refrigerator could look nice too.

TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Tuesday Morning (I don't know if you have any of these stores near youz?) are my go to for inexpensive decor. A pretty, large, canvas print from one of these places can be as cheap as 15-20, and would be a great way to add color and personality.

If your lease permits, floating shelves can be a great, decorative way to take up dead wall space and provide more storage.

Okay, I'll stop now before I seem like an absolute nutter.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 20, 2017

Your new place looks really nice. We are looking at downgrading to save money as well, though rents are about twice what you're paying where we live - hooray for California, lol. I recently watched the Minimalism Documentary and it made me realize that we're paying more for space we don't even need, and I'd rather use the money saved for something else, like vacations and experiences. Obviously if we had kids it'd be different, but we don't yet. We're in a 1060 sq ft 2 bedroom right now with the 2 of us - we just don't need the second bedroom. I'm now looking at a bunch of one bedrooms that are between 600 and 700 sq ft.

We've had really good luck in the past with Hobby Lobby for decor. They have LOTS of sales and they usually have a 40% off any regular priced item coupon, which is useful for big decor pieces like canvas art, etc. Not sure if you have one of those nearby. Kohl's has good stuff as well, if you have one of those. Do you have an Ikea? I swear by Ikea. Shelves like the ones Cupcakequeen mentioned are $67 at Ikea. We have 2 of them right now and they hold up very nicely.

Do you know your square footage? I'm just curious for my own interests, because I'm looking at lots of smaller places right now. We've lived in 670 sq ft before and found it plenty big enough for the 2 of us, and our utility costs were much cheaper back then. We apparently enjoy living in places where it's basically necessary to run the AC nonstop for 3 months. ;)

Tired Teacher likes this.
  12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 20, 2017

yellowdaisies, my fiance' & I do well in my 700 sq ft apt. He just wishes he had a backyard. We both need more closet space because I do not have a walk-in closet. Other than that, it's good enough.

Tired Teacher and yellowdaisies like this.
  13. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 25, 2017

Cool place! By the way, we have the same exact couch & love seat. We just got a new house and have started from scratch on decor- a bit at a time, making it the way we want it. I wanted a muted patriotic throughout the kitchen/dining/living room. (Navy, maroon, ivory). Here are a few things I have learned recently:

1) Area rugs are your friend. They come in all colors & designs imaginable and bring the space together. The one you see in the living room pic was from Wal Mart ($70). But it matches our existing carpet and the black works to offset all the navy & maroon.

2) Plants are also your second best friend. Especially leafy ones- In these pictures below are Majesty Palms. Cheap & beautiful (we have 3)

3) Textiles, textiles, textiles. Lots of throw pillows & blankets give it a cozy & upscale look.

The second picture shows the overview between. We have an open floor plan. The third pic shows the bench we got on Craig;s List to visually break up the space. The quilt is handmade from my mom as a wedding gift years back.

Good Luck!

Living room:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OKAY so Bedroom is "Shabby Chic". Again you can see the area rugs making an impact. Also more throw pillows!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2017

I like that bench, RussianBlue!

15. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 26, 2017

Thanks!

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 26, 2017

I think you've both done very well with smallish spaces. Clean, homey, comfortable. When my husband passed away years ago, I moved from a 3500 sq ft house with a huge pool to a 1300 square foot condo. It does have a garage, thank goodness (no basements down here and the attic isn't usable). I love shabby chic and have elements of it throughout, but I had to get rid of lots of collections. I'm glad I did, mostly. I will never get used to the narrow galley kitchen, though.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  17. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 28, 2017

Russian Blue, that quilt is beautiful!

18. elena manisa

elena manisa New Member

Jan 15, 2020

I taught in Abu Dhabi from January 2010 to December 2015. One of the reasons I stayed so long was the amazing financial benefits. I was able to live a luxurious life, in an excellent apartment while saving more than $ 1,000 per month. I was able to travel, participate in many social events, pay off all my debts and save! In the end, I bought property in a new house in Abu Dhabi. Now I'm preparing an apartment for rent

futuremathsprof likes this.