New Signature Options and Promotion Package

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by Amanda, May 18, 2009.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 18, 2009

For those members who have their own websites or businesses, you can now purchase a membership upgrade to include special privileges that will allow you to self-promote within guidelines. The options are as follows:

1) Signature Link. If you want to link to a site (commercial or not), you can upgrade your account to allow a signature with link(s).

2) Promotion Package. Includes the Signature Link option along with posting privileges in a special subforum in The Marketplace. For more information about that subforum, see this.

There are other options to be announced, including a Site Supporter package. It will include an option to have a signature (without links) by default. Other benefits are still being ironed out at this time and announced with the official launch.

For more information about the subscription fees for these new options, click here. When upgrading to these options, the privileges are granted automatically so there will be no more waiting to get the signature. :thumb:

What does this mean for current signatures? They will remain active until July 1, 2009. At that time the signatures will be disabled unless those accounts have been upgraded to either the Site Supporter (which includes a basic signature without link) or the Signature Link option for a signature with a link.

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 18, 2009

Hi Amanda,
    I saw some of the prices and honestly there's no way I can pay $78 a year to keep a link in my signature. I'm sad to see that teachers who post their class links in their signatures as a RESOURCE to other educators are being hit with this. I think it a little unfair to those who have added so much wisdom and encouragement to the community.

:(

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 18, 2009

Amanda, does that mean that ALL signatures will be disabled unless one has a paid subscription or just the ones that currently have links?

5. Amanda

May 18, 2009

I can clarify questions here, but please PM me or use the contact us form if you have a disagreement. I'll respond to what's been posted so far.

The usergroup that currently has signature privileges will be removed so this will affect all signatures that were created before this point.

The new options for signatures will solve many issues with managing them and I'll discuss a few. Until now they were only available by request and only for those with personal/non-commercial sites. Each request had to be reviewed manually so it took a while to process the requests, plus it isn't always 100% clear if a site is strictly personal and non-commercial. Regardless of what type of site it is, incoming links add value to it. The signature link is an automatic upgrade so members choosing it get the option to add a signature right away and the question of whether or not a site is commercial or not is no longer relevant.

Another side of the coin is that we have many requests by members who want to share their commercial sites without spamming the forum. The signature link is now an option.

For those of you who want to share your teaching site but don't want to pay for the upgrade, you can still link to it in your user profile and discuss it on the forum when it relates to the discussion. I am considering some other new features that will make sharing ideas and sites more convenient.

There are many other improvements upcoming so this announcement is a little pre-emptive, but I wanted to address the signature links and promotion package so it wouldn't be suspicious if you see members begin posting links in their signatures.

6. Amanda

May 19, 2009

I received a question regarding links on the forum. Apparently, some have the misunderstanding that this announcement pertains to all links and that no one will be able to share any links in the discussions without paying a fee. NO, not at all...

This only affects SIGNATURES, the little blurb that would be tacked onto the end of every post you make. Discussions can still go on as they always have. You can, as always, share links in your posts as long as you aren't promoting your own site or a site you are associated with or would otherwise benefit from advertising. For those teachers who have personal sites of their own, they still can share those as part of discussions when it relates to the topic.

Also, the promotion package does not grant someone the ability to advertise their site all over the forum so we won't see an increase in "spammy" messages. It will be limited to a special forum in The Marketplace.