New Show: Bunheads

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 8, 2012

Is anyone watching this show produced by the same producer of Gilmore Girls? She even gave the actor who played Lorelai's mother a part in this show too. There are definitely similarities in both shows. One of the 4 main teen girl dancers even looks a lot like Rory. The man who plays Hubbell played Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but he already got killed off in the pilot episode.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2012

I thought it looked dumb when they were advertising it- I started watching for the sole reason that gilmore girls is one of my absolute favorite shows of all time- I have watched the entire series multiple times and I usually never re-watch stuff. I actually like it a lot. I see a lot of similarities between the two shows. Of course the small town with the quirky characters is a big one, and I think the way they talk/banter is similar as well. I love that Emily from gg (don't know her name in real life lol) is the mother on this show and she has a very similar personality to Emily's character- some of the bantering between her and Michelle is just like Lorelai and Emily. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be around long- it already doesn't have good ratings and I don't know anyone else who watches it (I think even the silly name "bunheads" turns people off, lol). Plus there is all that controversy about the cast not being "diverse" which I think is pretty ridiculous.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 8, 2012

I've never seen The Gilmore Girls, but I saw the pilot and at least one other show of this series and I like it.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 8, 2012

I like it. :) Gilmore Girls is my all-time favorite show (I own it and rewatch the entire series every so often), so I can't help but like it. :) I agree with what waterfall said about Kelly Bishop's character's similarities to Emily Gilmore - during the first episode she made some condescending remark about the Vegas marriage, and I was like, "Emily's back!" I love the fast talking too...I didn't realize how much I'd missed that! :) Maybe I should start watching Gilmore Girls again...

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 8, 2012

Never seen Gilmore Girls, but I LOVE Bunheads.

Sutton Foster is perfect. We're going to get married; she just doesn't know it yet :).

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 8, 2012

I've been meaning to watch it. I know some "bunheads" so I'm sure they are watching it!

8. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jul 8, 2012

I loved Gilmore Girls, and I have been enjoying Bunheads as well. I didn't think it would be as good as it is. Definitely reminds me of Gilmore Girls - feels like they're right back there in Stars Hollow!

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2012

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing...I am starting to move in to my new apartment this weekend and I'll be there for a few days with no cable/tv or internet or anything. I was just thinking I'd have to bring my gilmore girls dvds with my laptop!

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

I watched the pilot, and we've been out of town since. What's been going on?

They basically recreated Emily Gilmore in the form of a West Coast bohemian ex-hippie. Interesting since many "California" versions of the Gilmore family actually fit such a stereotype.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

So, ladies..... Dean, Logan or Jess?

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 8, 2012

I just watched part of it yesterday and I really dislike it. I also couldn't stand Gilmore girls. Actually the story and plotline was good, and I could relate, because I was / am a single mom.

But the acting was horrible. "Rory" was a good actress, but her mom... Maybe it was the script or the acting, but i always wondered: who talks like that? I have never met anyone that would act or talk like that, it was just not natural. And now this show is the same thing, with the same kind of acting.
    I think it's weird that they're so similar, even with the same actress in very similar role, and the others look similar.

I would actually like to watch it, because dancing is interesting to me, especially ballet.

I used to watch Make it or Break it (actually recorded it), so I'm not against teenage-type shows. I think those teenagers have better acting skills that a lot of them had on these 2 shows.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

Jess

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2012

None of the above! Luke was by far my favorite man on the show even though he was twice my age, lol. Dean was great in the early seasons but not later and I was never really a fan of the other two. I loved that she turned down Logan at the end of the series and didn't end up in some cliche "happy ending" with one of the three boys- and we still got the "happy ending" with Luke and Lorelai together.

15. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 8, 2012

Jess. I loved Gilmore Girls, but I hadn't heard of this new show... I'll have to look it up.

16. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jul 8, 2012

Logan! He was so gorgeous, and I know he was a spoiled rich kid, but that didn't bother me. :love:

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 8, 2012

When I first heard the title of the show, I thought, what kind of cheesy show is this going to be. But since I knew it was on ABC Family, in which I watch a lot of their other shows & I loved GG, I wanted to see this too. I'll keep watching. In fact, ABC Family channel is one of my favorite channels.

Sarge, they had the funeral for Hubbell & Michelle taught the girls a dance routine to do at the ceremony. I don't care for the love/hate thing going on between Hubbell's mother & Michelle, but maybe people would think it's too boring if everyone got along all the time.

Linguist92021, BTW, I love Make It or Break It too. I read that it's been cancelled, so it's already over as of now. :mad:

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 9, 2012

I'm watching now (DVRed some episodes)
    I loved Gilmore Girls!
    Logan ;)

Linquist - I know a lot of people that talk like that and I loved Lorelei so much

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

I can say that I have seen every Gilmore Girls episode more than once. Liked the series and the wife has a DVD addiction to it. So as a result she has started watching this new show. I think it has one redeeming factor, the lead actress is worth watching.

20. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 9, 2012

I haven't heard of this show but I loved, loved, loved Gilmore Girls! I'll have to look for this one.

21. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2012

I just finished watching tonight's episode! I think "Franny" totally makes the show!

22. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

Finally got to watch tonight's episode. Sutton had me in stitches, especially with the stove breaking.

Fanny definitely had the funniest one-liner in the episode when Michelle was telling her about where all the furniture came from, and Fanny said "Wait, who killed the police chief?" "Michael in the Godfather." "Oh my god, how long did I tune you out that you went all the way there?!" :lol:

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 10, 2012

DITTO!! :D:D Looooooove Luke and Lorelai!

If I had to choose though, I would say Jess later on. I didn't like his "bad boy" thing early in the series, but when he comes back and has published a book, gets Rory to go back to school, etc - I really like him then. They were always the best fit, IMO. He challenged her, where Logan sorta ruined her in a lot of ways.

Haha I talk about this show like it's real life...