New second grade teacher! Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Susie Q, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Susie Q

Susie Q New Member

Jun 25, 2006

Hello, I was recently told that I will be teaching second grade in a brand new school. I am extremely excited, but I am also a bit nervous. I interned for a kindergarten classroom and I have no idea on how a second grade classroom is managed. I have several ideas, but they seem so cutesy and so kindergarten like. Does anyone have any ideas they can share? Thank you.:angel:

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 25, 2006

What kind of ideas are you looking for? Themes? Classroom setting? Books? Activities?

I have to say there is soo much to do in second grade.

Peer mentoring is a big concept that I do in my room since it is an inclusion classroom (regular education and special education together). I teach my children to to mentor another child who is having difficulty with finishing up a task or answering a question.

This year I create challenge packets for the children who finish their work early. I start this in January after they have the routine, and that all the other work needs to be finished before doing the packet. I start with 10 pages of a variety of activities (2 pages of reading comprehension, 2 pages of math - depending what has been taught to them, 2-3 pages of brain teasers, antoynms, synonyms, ABC order, following directions, etc). The children love it. I tell them it is the last thing to work on.

Pig Day - March 1st - I send home a letter in the beginning of the year regarding reading a certain about of books before March 1st (example: 60 books from Sept. to Feb.) Each month I send home a reading log to be filled out and returned. I tell the class that we will have a pig out party (junk food) if each child reads at least 60 books. I calculate the number of books each month so they can pace themselves. My class read 1,670 from Sept. to Feb. and then from Mar to June. The total number of books for the whole year was 3,951. I counted each chapter in a chapter book. I make this fun. The children had a blast doing this.

I thought I would give you a few ideas of what I do in my room. Don't be overwhelmed. Just choose a few things to do this year. Don't try to to everything you want in your first year. If you want anymore ideas, just ask. You can PM me if you want.

Jenglish97