New [School] Year's Resolutions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by time out, Jul 20, 2012.

1. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 20, 2012

January 1st is a time for new beginnings for many people but teachers are a different breed. I find that I like to use the summer to create new goals for the upcoming year.

Here are my resolutions for the school year:
    1. Be more assertive/confident when dealing with parents - Last year, a couple of parents really put me through the wringer. I tried way too hard to appease everyone and ended up getting hurt the most.

2. Stay on top of paperwork

3. Plan more efficiently

4. Reorganize my classroom library

5. Use more formative assessments/document more

Oh my, I think I could keep on going but am going to force myself to stop there. Don't want to get too overwhelmed :)

So, what are your resolutions?

3. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Jul 20, 2012

Max Security Prison Classroom School Year Resolutions (which is kind of a misnomer because we teach year-round)

1) Not get shanked, suckerpunched, beat up or otherwise killed.
    2) Minimize my "F-Bombs" down to 5 per hour.
    3) DON'T tell any, nor let my students tell any gay jokes.
    4) Don't get a play put out on my by a gang.
    5) Oh, when I get around to it after playing cop, teach something!

4. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 20, 2012

6th grade science new school year resolutions:

1. Stay more organized in the classroom!! Reduce the clutter, and keep it clean so I can find my own things better.

2. Stay on top of the grading more.

3. Be more firm and in control, and do not allow students to derail or sidetrack a lesson. Deal with the distractor kids sooner to reduce problems sooner.

4. Plan more in advance. Last year was my first year ever teaching science, and there were many days that I was planning THAT MORNING what to do -- right up until the period that I was teaching it!

Environmental Science resolutions
    1. Plan the semester out! Have an idea of where I am going before school starts so I am not winging it.
    (side note: there are no true objectives for this class, and I was thrown into it last year, as well as being new to science. I have to manage the school recycling program, as well, with this class, so it was a lot to handle all at once)

2. Do more projects - incorporate art?

3. Focus less on landfills and trash, and do more with conservation/reusing.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

1. Stay on top of grading. It's just too easy to put it off!
    2. Be more firm and consistent. I was a little too easy last year and want to set a better tone this year.
    3. Create a better plan for students who are struggling. I feel like I can do a better job reaching out to some of those kids.
    4. Plan more in advance! I'm already doing that this summer but I need to do it even more!

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 20, 2012

1. Watch my time management. We are departmentalizing, so I will be using a timer to make sure I don't "steal" time.
    2. Stay on top of entering grades in JPams. :whistle:
    3. Work on keeping personal issues out of teamwork. (Easy to do with one, she's amazing the other is....well, it'll be a challenge.)
    4. To not compare this year to last. I had probably the most amazing group I've ever had last year. It won't be fair to measure this new group by them.
    5. Remember to have fun!

7. trulyunic

trulyunic Rookie

Jul 20, 2012

My first year teaching resolutions:

Ask lots of questions of my mentor teacher, admin and other teachers

Be confident in my abilties and knowledge

Be organized!

Have procedures in place and help students learn and do them correctly

Enjoy the experience!

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 20, 2012

Veteran 5th grade teacher:
    1. Look on the positive side of things every day, and stay away from negativity.
    2. Implement more math problem solving and do number talks daily
    3. Utilize Responsive Classroom strategies to build classroom community
    4. Enjoy the new school building and our new staff
    5. Plan ahead

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

I don't know if it's so much a resolution as a change in focus.

Last year, I played a lot with showing my kids to let the problem lead them-- to take the information in a geometry example, and kind of play with what it can help you find, and from there follow the trail to the answer.

(Not a solid explanation, I know. I'm still trying to figure out how to explain this. But geometry isn't always linear; the path from A to B is frequently kind of convoluted.)

I would like, particularly with my honors classes, to concentrate a bit more on this aspect of geometry.

Exactly how, I have no idea. And the odds of it getting much of my attention until after Disney probably aren't good.

10. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 20, 2012

Returning to classroom teaching after 6 years

1) Keep my desk clean!

2) Keep a balance between work and home.

3) Don't say yes to anything "extra" unless it is something I am willing to give up personal time for.

4) Keep on top of all the paperwork.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

1. Strengthen collegial relationships hrough supporting teachers as a coach.

2. Continue to be an advocate for kids' learning.

3. 'Fly the flag' for what the professional educators do well in our district.

12. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 20, 2012

1. Be firm and consistent with expectations and procedures. Use classroom meetings as a managing tool.
    2. Try out Cafe this year.
    3. Reorganize math this year.

I suppose organization should also be one, as I tend to pile things... :0

13. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jul 20, 2012

Resolutions

1. I will respond more readily when certain coworkers engage in their
    juvenile behavior so they will not think that I agree with their
    nonsense. I have a few quick responses ready.

2. I will not act on the contempt I feel for a teacher who attacked my professional reputation. I can fake it in words and actions, but my body language tends to give my true feelings away. I have to figure out how to fix that.

3. I will efficiently organize the materials for our new math and writing programs.

4. I will rotate book categories in my classroom library so I can have more counter space.

14. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 20, 2012

This year I will be piloting a 1:1 Nook tablet program, so my resolutions will be technology related.

- Find ways to incorporate technology in a meaningful way. (Not just skill and drill.)

- Differentiate learning in all subjects. (Contracts, Choice boards, project options, etc.)

- Focus on making students independent thinkers and problem solvers.

- Offer "parent resources" on classroom webpage.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

I am starting at a new school, so I have a lot on my plate already. My biggest goal will be to create units with this new curriculum based on Understanding by Design. That's going to be a chore right there. Aside from that I want to work on putting together more cutesy displays.

16. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Jul 20, 2012

I was JUST thinking about this this summer, how my new years resolutions should be September-August and not January-December.

I am starting my second year at a brand new school, we've had some changes with our beloved principal retiring and now we have a new one... but I am now in my second year of full day kindergarten (I had only taught half day, six years ago!)

1. Be more organized, find real places for things - we just kind of all shoved things last year.

2. Get rid of things I did not use last year.

3. Re-do science and social studies plans, and make them more hands on (DONE! Thanks to a co-worker going on maternity leave in Oct, I have a semester of science and s.s. done!)

4. Keep working on implementing daily 5

5. Try to be a more cohesive group with my team! :)

and, as always, be the best darn teacher I can be!

17. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

1. Remember how fortunate I am to be employed a job for which I feel I was made.
    2. Look at each day as an opportunity, not a chore.
    3. Be more patient with my students, more understanding; look at them as what they are... young people who've been entrusted to my care by my Maker. (No pressure! ;) )
    4. Give the students reasons to look up to me as an important adult in their lives.
    5. Don't feel guilty about eating chocolate. :)

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

1) Stay organized as much as possible and be able to see at least a portion of the top of my desk at all times :)

2) Leave school at a good time to beat traffic and to spend time each day with my son.

3) Grade papers in a timely manner.

4) Be patient and understanding with my students.

5) Don't sweat the small stuff and find a reason every day to be excited about my job.

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 20, 2012

I need to be better organized too!

Reading Conscious Discipline right now, hoping to have new strategies-this group coming up is a difficult one.

I also need to be better at assessing and tracking data. Not only for my kids but because our evaluations this year are dependent on being able to show the correct amount of progress.

I want to use every minute of the day better. I feel like even though I try to use the transitions wisely, sometimes we waste time we could be using for instruction.

20. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 20, 2012

Third grade language arts and science goals:
    1. Create science "kits" as I go for all of my weekly experiments/hands on activities that hold materials for the lessons and a copy of the lesson plan there with them as well.

2. Implement (my modified version of) Literature Circles with all the new trade books that were purchased for my room this past year. :)

3. Take more time to ENJOY the little ones. I'm all about building relationships with the students, but I had a lot of outside (personal/family) sources of stress during this past year that took their toll.

21. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 20, 2012

1) Be consistent and set the tone from day one. I feel like I started the past year off too easy and had to get meaner as the year went on.

2) Keep my desk, paperwork, and students more organized.

3) Don't be so afraid to speak up with concerns and suggestions.

4) Don't cave to parents!

I could go on and on, really, but that could get a little overwhelming!

22. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 21, 2012

1. Keep EVERYTHING more organized -- student work, handouts, the room, student notebooks, RTI (if we still have it next year), everything! Not feeling like I was organized was one of my number one stressors last year (my first year).

2. Get enough sleep every day. There were days last year that I would go into school with 3-4 hours of sleep. One or two days I got less than that. Most of the time, I averaged about 5 or 5.5. That is terrible!

3. Always have lessons planned at least a week in advance.

4. Eat healthy and bring my own lunches. I definitely NEVER spent enough time preparing my own meals, and that includes dinners! That has got to change because I am going to make my wellbeing a priority this year.

5. Keep firm in the organizational structure of the class (workshop model), student behaviors, and academic/social expectations I set for my students.

6. Return grades and feedback quickly!

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

I really want to improve my literacy centers. This is a hard one for me, as I want to be working on creating new things, but I don't know what grade I'm teaching this fall. Hoping to find out on Monday.

24. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 21, 2012

1. Keep better documentation across the board.

2. Identify and address goals for specific students early on (ex: organizational skills, struggling readers, etc.)

3. Bring lunch more- eat in cafeteria less.

4. Don't complain about things I have to do anyways. Just do it...and move on.

25. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Jul 21, 2012

1. Be kind, for everyone I know is fighting a hard battle. As an offshoot of this, pay attention to the quiet students and make a sincere effort to draw them out.
    2. Organization of papers, esp. the meeting notes and follow-up with that. I'm dept. head now and I have to be on top of this. I am getting a bunch of wall mounted magazine holders for this purpose.
    3. A consistent grading schedule. One day per class per week during my prep.
    4. Filling gaps in my content knowledge and skill set. So far this summer I have read and added to my curriculum: Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria, How to Write a Sentence, What's the Big Idea?,Talking in Class, The Padeia Proposal, and Write Like This. Still to finish: How to Read a Book, Socratic Circles, Don't Forget to Write, and 101 Tips for New Teachers and Their Mentors.
    5. Do not engage in backtalk with students. I was better about this last year, but this year I am just going to present the choice and stop talking so they are forced to keep the argument going by themselves.

26. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2012

1. Stay calm and positive, regardless of the circumstances.
    2. Make time for me.
    3. Use the implementation of Common Core as an opportunity (again, positive) to better organize & align my lessons & materials.
    4. NOT gain weight from stress!
    5. Remember not to label my kiddos in my brain. Regardless of their behavior - they are children, and many of my students come from horrendous backgrounds.
    6. Make time for prayer & meditation.
    7. DOCUMENTATION

27. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 21, 2012

1. Become more consistent by not letting students push my buttons or not reacting to those button pushes.

2. Talk positively to myself and others.

3. Do meditation and/or exercise to reduce my stress levels so I can be a better teacher, wife, and friend.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2012

That is one of the hardest things to do!!! It's so hard to connect wtih those B+ quiet kids.

29. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

1. Work to create better common assessments. I had hoped to work on that this summer, but our "blueprints" for the exams won't be released by our district administration until a week before school starts. :( This means I'll be under a terrible time crunch, but the ones we've used the past 2 years have been horrible. I can't in good conscience give them again.

2. Continue to find more Web 2.0 resources for my room and not be silent when the district arbitrarily blocks something. I'm going to stand up and speak much more!