New School Year Resolutions!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.SLF, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

So, it's that time of the year and we are heading back to school for another glorious year. I thought we could share our new school year resolutions! I'll start first (obviously):

1. I am going to go to bed at 10 each night so I can wake up at 5 each day! (so I can workout, shower, get ready, eat breakfast, and be to school by 6:30) This is a pretty lofty goal because I am not really a morning person.

2. I am going to stay on top of everything this year and grade papers as I get them. I allowed myself to get behind the last couple of years and it's a beast to get from under.

3. I am going to have a positive attitude each and every day!

4. I want to stop procrastinating! I am finishing my masters this year (hopefully) and have this massive portfolio I have to complete by January for revisions-I must stop procrastinating or my advisor is going to whack me upside my head!!! :blush:

I think that is all for my resolutions and can't wait to read everyone else's.

:woot::woot:

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2008

Good for you!

Here are mine (we'll see if they really come true):
    1) Clean my desk off every day, making sure everything is filed away.
    2) Keep organized! Keeping my desk clean will help that.
    3) Limit my Saturdays to 1 a month, after the first month of school (I know it won't happen in the 1st month).
    4) Leave everyday no later than 5! I can do this. I know I can. I just have to put my mind to it. Matter of fact, it's 4:30 and I'm getting ready to go home. Now, I'm not expecting this one to start until after the 1st day of school. Too much stuff to get done before then.

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

My only new school year resolution is to STAY ORGANIZED. I've spent so much time organizing my classroom that it would be a shame if I let it go!

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 7, 2008

1. Clean my desk every day before I leave.
    2. Prepare all materials for next day before I leave.
    3. Grade papers the same day they are turned in.
    4. Develop stronger parent-teacher relationships.
    5. Stay away from negative gossip.
    6. Don't join every committee! I will limit myself to 3 this year.
    7. Try to develop an actual grade-level team.

6. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

Oh - I always start the year with lofty goals which I forget by November. But I am game to try again this year!!!

1. Have an organized desk - I'm going to try to file my papers at lease once a week, if not every day.
    2. Clean out my mailbox at the end of each day.
    3. Set up a assignment filing system that actually works - I was thinking maybe a hanging system with a folder for each class.
    4. Get to the school at 7:45 and leave by 5:00. No more 7:00 evenings!!
    5. Correct assignments asap. No 2 week pile-ups before report cards . . .
    6. Start and end each day with a smile!

7. amyd

amyd Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

1. Finish my internship.
    2. Graduate

Ok, so it may be a little different than everyone else but I wanted to join!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2008

1. Stay organized! I don't want my desk to look like a bomb exploded on it.

2. Keep on top of my lesson plans. I want to plan one month ahead for the duration of the school year.

3. Move at a faster pace with the curriculum. I think we actually need to get about twice as far as we got last year, so I'm going to push a lot more this year.

4. Avoid negative gossip and negative people. I've posted about this very topic recently, and I received a lot of good advice.

5. Implement AVID strategies in my regular Latin classes, particularly in regards to the tutorials/collaborative inquiries.

6. Earn 11 graduate credits so that I can move over on the pay scale to the next column: Masters + 16. With my step down for the next year, that'll be about $3,500 more before any other cost-of-living increases.

9. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Oh God, I started with the goals before the year even ended. Here are my top 5 goals!

1. Keep a clean desk.
    2. Be a better writing teacher.
    3. Stress less!!!
    4. Leave school by 4:30.
    5. Take off the "teacher hat" on the weekend.

10. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

1. Keep my desk clean and organized.
    2. Grade papers and put in grade book at least twice a week.
    3. Keep teacher/parent communication open.
    4. Don't eat snacks during the day.
    5. Stay positive and manage a smile even when I don't feel like it.
    6. Get lesson plans done on time-this year I'm using a template on the computer!
    7. Let my principal, custodial staff, and office staff know they are appreciated.
    8. Prepare for the next day before going home.
    9. Have sub plans ready at all times!

I'm exhausted thinking about all of this! :yawn:

11. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I'm stealing most of Cassie's since hers are almost exactly the same as mine.
    1. Keep on top of my lesson plans. I want to plan one month ahead for the duration of the school year.

2. Move at a faster pace with the curriculum. I think we actually need to get about twice as far as we got last year, so I'm going to push a lot more this year.

3. Avoid negative gossip and negative people.

4. Since I'm starting my masters in September, I want to stay organized and SANE!

12. smannes

smannes Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I was just talking with a coworker about these things:

During school I'm in bed by 8:30 so that's not a problem for me. I'm usually so exhausted that my body doesn't let me stay up longer.

Anyway. I will not procrastinate this year.
    1. I'm going to plan early enough that I'm not scrambling the night before/morning of getting my materials.
    2. I will leave school by 4:30 each day (last year I was lucky to leave by 5:30. I usually arrived at school at 6 and didn't technically have to be there until 7:20).
    3. I will set a plan for my lesson plans and stick to it. Ex. plan Math & Science for the following week on Monday, Reading & SS on Tuesday.
    4. I will be more organized. At the end of every day, everything will be put in its appropriate place.

Ok, I know there's more but I'll end up writing a book if I keep going. The above are the major ones.

13. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

These are great goals! I really hope I don't forget them by November!!! I really need to follow my set goals!

14. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

Oklee-Doklee

Here goes:

1.) My lesson plans will be done in advance...to the tune of about a month. It is easier to plan at my age level (pre-k/kinder).

2.) I will be firm with my students...fun, but firm!

3.) I will have a place for everything, and everything will be in its place...or at least in that area! (HA!) :lol:

4.) I will def. stress less....I want to have fun this year...If I am having fun, hopefully the kids will be too!

There are a ton more...but these are the main ones. :2up:

15. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Aug 7, 2008

1. Keep my classroom organized and neat.

2. Go to bed every night by at least 11.

3. Grade papers daily instead of letting them pile up.

4. At least twice a week leave school at 3:30 so I can go to the gym.

5. Stay positive and try not to spread any negativity. :)

16. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

Oh, yeah...sleep...I will not stay up too late doing things I can do the next day/later....I need sleep! :yawn:

17. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I'm a newbie so I'm not sure how well these will go but here goes:

1. Bed by 10am so I'm up at 5am
    2. At school at least a half hour before start time so I can get myself ready and in the zone
    3. Correct and return work at a faster rate
    4. Stay after school at least a full hour after release time
    5. Have a life outside this job

18. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

Great idea! Here are mine:

1. I will STAY CALM before IEP meetings.

2. I will teach the kids to do what they are capable of doing, even if it would be far easier to do it for them; even if we're having a bad day and we're rushed and we all just want to be finished with the task, even if the principal is waiting and tapping his foot while I prompt the child through the task, I will not take away the child's opportunity to increase her independence.

3. I will not bring my work home with me. I will go in early if I need to and I will stay late if I need to, but when I do finally come home, work will stay behind in the school building.

4. I will drink water all day long. I am SUCH a better teacher when I'm hydrated. Does that sound silly? I'm always thirsty and tired when I'm teaching and I always end up with a headache, except for on the rare days when I remember to bring water. This year, I will bring water every day.

5. I will stay true to what I know is best for my students, even if others disagree. I will be open to new ideas, of course, but I will trust myself, too.

19. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

Stay Positive!
    Not allow little things to get to me.
    Going home at 4:30 and not taking anything with me

20. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 7, 2008

1. Pick a subject each day and fill in my plans for the following week.
    Monday-Reading
    Tuesday-Writing
    Wednesday-Word Study/Math Intervention
    Thursday-Math
    Friday-Social Studies/Science
    2. To not let my filing get behind, it can only get as tall as my red tub, then it has to be put away!
    3. Keep reading binders up to date.
    4. Make copies for the following week on Thursdays
    5. Make timely updates to my school's website
    6. Make said website awesome :)
    7. Go home before 615! Take a bag and force myself out of the building to go run.
    8. Grade papers in a more timely manner.

I really hope to utilize my plan time more efficently, and get to school about a half hour before my report time (740). We have to be there at 810, kids come at 900. I think that's it.

21. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I'd like to add the upkeep of my class website. I had it last year and barely used it but I am determined to make it more prevalent in my class this year.

buck8teacher: You all start at 9??? What time do you all get out of school? That would be great for me! I could definitely use a later start each morning!!

22. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Here are mine:

Finish lesson plans for the following week by Thursday and make copies and organize materials on Friday.

Grade something every day (hopefully, whatever assignment was turned in that day).

Keep my desk clean and keep up with filing.

Of course, these are the same things I say I'm going to improve at every year...

23. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 8, 2008

Here are mine:

-Keep on top of which teachers still owe me materials, be they lesson plans, newsletters, etc.

-Schedule observation days (and the sub to cover my class) early in the year and let nothing get in the way

-File at least 3x a week and send home papers (especially math) every Friday instead of every 2 weeks

-Dust under my shelves

-Try a new room arrangement and move the students more frequently (I tend to find what I like and it stays that way)

-Incorporate at least 1 new idea into each subject area each week

-Enter grades at least once a week (no waiting until close to report cards)

24. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I really like a lot of these! My two biggies are related:

1. Keep up with grading and entering grades into the computer. I like the twice a week idea.

2. Keep my desk from looking like a file cabinet exploded on it. If I grade and pass back papers more frequently, the piles will be smaller, yes?

3. Develop and stick to a butt-kickin' writing program that I LIKE. This will be my first year with a state writing assessment, and that freaks me out a lot bit, but I figure the admin wouldn't have put me here if they didn't think I could do it!

4. Exercise. It will keep me happier and make me kinder to the kiddos.

25. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2008

I want to make a resolution to keep working out. (I'm joining a gym so I don't have an excuse in winter). I've been really good at it in the summer, but worried about one school and grad school happens again in the fall how it will go. Also, I want to be better about eating. I did WW at my school last year and since I am switching schools, joined on my own, but it may get harder for me to do it.

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

My goals:

1.) end each day with a clean desk

2.) grade papers daily

3.) enter grades into gradebook at least weekly

4.) keep up my workout schedule that I started this summer.

27. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 8, 2008

1 major one and a lot of smaller ones:

TOP priority: Improve paper organization!!
    Already started this over the summer:
    1)organized loose worksheets (hundreds of them) into binders by chapter and lesson in the textbook. Since they are all together and fixed into a binder I won't be doing a mad dash to find what I need, making a mess and wasting precious time.
    2)Throwing out (recycling, actually) tons of paper my former packrat self would have found merit in keeping.
    3)Decided on a paperwork filing strategy that I will maintain throughout the year. I've described it in other threads.
    4)Earned gift card for staples desk apprentice. I haven't bought it. This will be the only thing on my desk. Everything else must go to my tall shelf I've already called my paper tower. Everything that goes there will have to go to its appropriate spot because it will be full of organizing trays.

Throughout the year, I will:
    1) Grade papers daily (I have planned almost 12 weeks of the year so I will have more time for day-to-day tasks now)
    2)Take the first few minutes of 3rd period to clean off my desk. Staying at the end to do it just doesn't work for me. 3rd period is the start of my Gifted class so I figure it is my best chance to make a routine.
    3)Designate a student helper to return graded work--otherwise I never remember.:huh:
    4)Throw out stuff ASAP. Deal with short tasks immediately if at all possible.
    5)Make a conscious effort to stick to one task at a time. I tend to start too much and finish too little, making messes everywhere I go.
    6) Keep the students after the bell if the room is not tidy and desks are not in place. (I was in a far-away hall, but I've moved closer to most of their other classes so I feel I can finally do this without causing a stream of unfair tardies.)

As far as other goals:)
    1)Have 2 big bottles of water for everyday and drink them. I will actually bring in several at the beginning of the week and keep them in the class. better to have room temp water than none at all.
    2)NEver eat the vending machine food or sweet breads at meetings. (Keep a lot more snacks than I used to and also some non perishable meals. I already purchased 7 meals to keep in the classroom.)
    3)Incorporate choice more frequently into assignments.
    4)Never join the complainers. I never join the gossipers, but I do join the complainers and I always feel worse after I "vented" so negatively.
    5) Keep up with workouts 5 times/week
    6)Call parents more frequently.
    7.) Get everything ready the night before so I can leave before the 7:15 school zone starts. I have to pass 4 schools on the way to mine so this will save both time and gas and stress---because I am always barely making it and my room is further from the entrance this year so I can't slip in as easily.

okay that's it. :2up:

28. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 8, 2008

Mine are simple:
    1. Keep out of the gossip loop.

2. Learn some staff members names (new school).

3. Learn the new IEP paperwork quickly.

4. Amaze the admin. with my brilliance---okay, that's a bit optomistic, but shoot high :)

29. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 8, 2008

Teacher's report at 8:10. The kids come at 9:00, and we get out at 3:30. Teacher's can leave at 3:40. However, our middle school has a different start time.

30. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

1. Go to the gym 3-5 times a week immediately after my after school commitments.

2. Try more content reading and writing strategies. The kids are getting worse and worse every year. Their writing is atrocious, they use personal pronouns, have no analysis, and really don't argue anything. It's not the teachers all of my MS teachers have stayed the same. In terms of reading, I have realized that textbook reading for Social Studies is not done much in Elementary School and the kids need to learn how to do so. This is our department's goal.

3. Apply more differentiation to my classwork and projects.

4. Use the technology avaliable to me much more.

5. Try to utilize more of Marzano's strategies as well as focus on the deeper levels of Blooms Taxonomy (including the questioning).

6. In History I have it down so my class can be both fun, interesting, and most importantly educational. I need to work on this for my Geometry Class (Even though I have no support or resources). I will be doing a Geometry Journal this year and trying to incorporate more hands on lesson plans.

7. Finalize my unit lesson plans at least a month ahead of time.

8. Implement at least two major papers in my AP USH class, we do a lot of DBQs and FRQ's, but no real major take home research papers.

9. Try and get along with the Math department. Its hard though they do not want to try any projects, hands on activities, or new ideas. Its the same routine everyday: hw check/review, lesson, and classwork. It gets boring for me as the teacher.

10. Do something with our head football coach. Half is honors US II class failed the MCAS practice test, and they got the US I stuff well, but not US II this is a problem. I understand football is important, but he is a teacher first.

31. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 10, 2008

I will laugh more and enjoy the kids more.

32. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

This is my second year..boy, did I learn alot last year.

1. Document, document document..everything.
    2. Show admin that I do have classroom mgmt and it wasn't as good as it could have been because I came in late to the school year...basically, show 'em what I'm made of.
    3. Do lecture notes/lesson plans more than just a week ahead of time. (I'm 3 weeks up now YES!!)
    4. Return test papers the following Monday to go over (we'll take tests on Thursdays..yes I have it down to specifics)
    5. Don't get worked up over nothing and fear for the worst.

I know there's more...

33. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 10, 2008

Ok, I'm a first year teacher so these are my goals for my first year of teaching.

1. I will do my lesson planning at least two weeks in advance all year.
    2. I will make all necessary copies and laminate everything I need laminated at least one week in advance.
    3. I will not leave until all the necessary supplies for the next day's lesson are out and ready.
    4. I will impress my coworkers with my classroom management skills. (This may be more of a prayer than a goal!)
    5. My students will actually learn something from me regardless of all the first year mistakes that I will doubtless make.

34. mkeeth

mkeeth New Member

Aug 10, 2008

Paperheart, in a previous post you mentioned having a licence plate saved on your computer. Do you still h ave it and can you email it to me???? I aprreciate your help. mkeeth

35. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 11, 2008

1.stay organized
    2.document everything
    3. communicate better
    4. stay away from gossip
    5. keep parents better informed
    6. lose weight
    7. excercise more
    8. eat more healthy

36. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 11, 2008

1. Keep positive, even when no one else is.
    2. Be the one constant supportive force in my students' lives.
    3. Just say no to more presentations for the district without compensation.
    4. Join 1 committee only.
    5. Arrive at school by 7:20 and leave by 5:00.
    6. Allow others to be in charge of grade-level meetings and PLC's. I can't run the world (no matter how much I love to). It's time to pass the torch to others on my team.
    7. Use my gym membership and eat clean.

37. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

I hope to:
    1) Improve parent teacher communication with carbon copy notepad, more calls home with "good news", and monthly newsletter

2) Improve social interaction and independence among my students with Morning Meetings and First Six Weeks of School approach

3)Improve Organization by distributing papers into mailboxes daily, creating tentative lesson plans on Thursdays and making copies on Fridays.

4) make more time for fun projects with the kids By utilizing the Mailbox Magazine more.

Oh man. I don't know if I can do this. :unsure:
    Anyone else getting more ovrwhelmed just thinking about it?

38. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

This year I resolve to:

1. Sketch out lesson plans 3-4 weeks in advance, write them up in detail Thursday night for the next week.

2. Keep my desk clean

3. Dress professionally each day.

4. Exercise after work 3 times per week.

5. Not bring work home more than 1 time per week.