New School Year Resolutions

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by leighbball, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2005

Well, I have selected two read alouds (Hundred Dresses and Sideways School) and the first literature circle novel, Walk Two Moons. They won't get to choose this time because 1) there are only 7 kids in class, and 2) we'll probably get to see a theater production of Walk Two Moons in Nov.

We had Back To School Night last night (didn't get home until 9pm) and I had to go to the dentist in the middle of the day today, yuck, so I got out late today. But I am ready for Monday and the kids. You really have to stake out your private time, leighbball. It is really bad in the long run to be a martyr. I'm going to try not to take on much tutoring this year. I dread it all day when I have it to look forward to.

2. Aoide

Aoide Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

I hope you do better than I did last year with this one. I was determined to leave every day by 5:00, but I didn't do so well. But I'm going to try, try again! :)

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 12, 2005

I thought this was a great thread, then I read everyone else's resolutions and I keep finding more things I need to do!! :eek

Ok, here's hte basics
    * Not to leave each day until my desk is cleaned off
    * Grade papers daily to avoid a backlog
    * File papers as soon as I am through with them
    * Send positive notes home on each child several times a year

I know there are dozens more, but I am going to concentrate on these first!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2005

From Feb till June last year I worked the afterschool program from 3:45 to 5:30 5 days a week...it nearly killed me not gettng home until 6:30ish on a good day. I was so tired by the end of the year. I loved the money and the kids though, so I didn't want to stop. But I know better for this year...I'm only subbing for the afterschool program...and the rest of the days I hope to be out by 5pm. I'm learning to say no! (sometimes...lol)

Good job Upsadaisy!! :cool:

5. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

my new school year resolution(s) are: to be the best first year paraeducator at my school: to establish and maintain excellent classroom management skills: to have all paper work organized and easily accessable for teacher (even if I'm away from class): and to have my principal feel he made the right decision by hiring me :angel:

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 13, 2005

Thank you leighbball! I volunteered to open up the school one morning a week, which will be okay. I have to be in at 7am to babysit two kids anyway. Might as well have a few more. Only thing is then I won't be in my own classroom. I used that 90 minutes well this past year, getting lots done so I really felt ready for the day. But getting up at 5:30 about killed me.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2005

I find it so funny how many mention the filing papers thing. I thought that was just me, but now I'm glad to know it isn't. :p I didn't put it on my resolution because I know I won't keep that one! tee hee!

8. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 14, 2005

Something similar to love2teach. I resolve to spend less time talking to my collegues during planning, recesses, before and after school, and more time getting those 10 things done that I should be doing. Isn't it so much more appealing to talk than to work?

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2005

Talking builds relationships though! I think we really need those relationships, even if they aren't true friendships. Teacher friends understand what you are going through. But beware of the "bad" apples. Those teachers who all they do is complain about EVERYTHING!! other teachers, the principal, their kids etc.

I resolve to not isolate myself so much, but at the same time not be in that gossip loop.

10. Teener

Teener Companion

Aug 14, 2005

kpa1b2: That is one of mine as well, not to isolate, but not to get sucked into the "bad apple" gossip/complaints.

I, too, need to work on filing, but I think I am more interested in making sure my masters get filed than on the graded papers, etc. I don't want the masters to go missing til June!

I also resolve to try to organize my time more wisely and accomplish more at school so I don't have to bring so much home with me. I do most/all of my planning at home, so I don't need to bring papers to grade, notes to write, journals to make, etc, etc, etc......

And to all: Happy New Year! I hope this will be your best yet! :)

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2006

Has anyone kept their resolutions so far?

I did an okay job with my organizing time until late October when I was out for 3 weeks with my emergency appendectomy. I'm doing better, but there's still a ways to go for me.

And I've killed several fish so far this year. I think this is the last year I will be having a fish tank in my classroom. Sigh...

12. srh

srh Devotee

Jan 16, 2006

HAHA!! Good timing with this....I had some reflection time over winter break!

My resolution was to learn to SHORTCUT. And I AM getting better. I still need guidance on occasion from my partner (like, "Okay, okay...what are you DOING??!!" :-D) But so far, so good, and I'm still liking my first teaching job!