New School Year Resolutions

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by leighbball, Aug 5, 2005.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2005

We make them in January, why not now too?? A new year is a new year! What do you resolve to do this school year?

For me, its organize my time better. I've probably taken on too much this year with grad school, becoming the district program coordinator for a service learning grant, and a few other things. I feel like if I can get a good handle on organizing my time both in and out of school, I will be able (for once) to leave a little time for myself each day. And thats something I really need to do for myself. I burned out by the end of the year last year and I promised myself I wouldn't let it happen again.

So whats your resolution??? ;)

3. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 5, 2005

Great question!! :cool:

I resolve to not think I have to grade every paper, to get my grades entered into our school's on-line gradebook every week, and to keep my new class website current! :) Wish me luck!! :)

4. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 5, 2005

To do better than last year. (The phrase, "Successful Simplicity" works for me!)

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2005

My resolution is to have every child in my class reading above grade level by the second week of school! A girl can dream, can't she? :D

My biggest resolution is to keep my closet clean enough to avoid injury when looking for something. I spent two hours on it yesterday, so maybe for the first year ever I'll be able to keep it relatively organized.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2005

My "new school year resolution" is to remain positive and lead our kindergarten team with confidence.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2005

mine is to not stress out so much....and so far im doing well, I have not been able to get into my classroom at a new job yet, and usually that would stress me to no end (being my plan was to be there at least 2 days by now). But I told myself I can not control the fact that their is work being done, and Im not the only teacher who can not get into his.her room.....
    wish me luck as the year goes on!
    I also want to manage my time better.....I tend to get distracted, trying to to 10 things at once!

8. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 6, 2005

It's only my first year, but I already know my biggest need. I NEED TO LEARN TO SHORTCUT. I'm not talking about shortcutting quality--I'm talking basic stuff!! I never know when to quit researching...when to quit looking for "one more idea"...when to "just do it." I resolve to shortcut...I resolve to shortcut...I resolve to shortcut...

My partner teacher is already scratching his head, just listening me to me "plan" out loud now and then. I think my door decoration idea has him concerned! :D Anybody else share my area of weakness????????

9. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Great thread, Leighball!

This year I'd like to work on Love & Logic behavior management strategies with my students and also improve my filing system (and my filing abilities!)

~Jaicie :)

10. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 6, 2005

To force myself to not be a perfectionist. It is okay if I repeat lessons from last year and lose some of my creativity. It is okay if my bulletin boards are not always the ones with the most pizazz. If I give up having to be perfect for my students, I will have more time for my family and myself. I hope I can maintain this attitude throughout the year. I tend to dive so deep into the school year that other areas of my life suffer. :(

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 6, 2005

Keep my classroom clean and orderly (and enlist the kids to help.)

Post grades weekly

Be more myself/and share my love of reading/learning.

12. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 6, 2005

My resolution is to ALWAYS THINK POSITIVE. I usually try to, but last year there was one teacher that just "urked" me the wrong way. Then I would feel down for the whole rest of the day, and wouldn't give my all to my classroom. This year, I'm going to try to think positive no matter what and just let her comments "roll" off my back. (easier said then done, but I'll try!!)

[​IMG]

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2005

I have to work on being positive, too, Amanda. I tend to be too critical, so I need to mind my own business a bit more. It's just that I always want to go one step further, improve things, and I don't always express it in the most helpful way to colleagues. It drives me crazy to see people who could be doing so much more just do the same old, same old.

14. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

My resolution, like every other year is to keep my desk neat! I tend to have mountains pile up on it and I don't see the bottom until June. I would also like to try some readers workshop methods I learned in a book that was recommended to me, by Debbie Miller. Thanks whoever you are-it is great so far!

15. Aoide

Aoide Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

I always make "school year's resolutions" instead of new year's resolutions. I guess my year just runs from August to May with two lost months in between. :)

I have lots of them. Keeping up with my gradebook is definitely high up on the list. But the hardest one is going to be to change my home habits. I want to take my showers at night, get my clothes ready at night and go to bed at a decent hour. I don't want to have 5 or 6 hours of sleep at night anymore and rushing around in the morning. However I am so entrenched in my patterns, it is going to be very difficult to change them, but I'm going to try!

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2005

Oh, yeah, Aoide, that helps so much. I always shower at night and get the outfit ready because I leave at 6:40 - still half asleep. I babysit two kids in my classroom from 7 until 8:30. This year I swear that I am going to put together 5 outfits (that fit) on Sundays and wear them in that order no matter what. Wasting time on clothes in the wee hours is just a pain.

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2005

I resolve to become more organized & to be able to see the bottom of my desk each day! I also want to handle papers less & stay on top of paperwork.

18. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 9, 2005

My resolution is to file away masters when I am done copying them. I NEVER do this until I have a huge pile and then it takes me weeks to get it done. Maybe this year I CAN do it!

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2005

This year my resolution is to learn how to say no...I know this sounds strange, but I over book myself to the extreme. Last year, I did more than a full load of classes, plus 2 jobs and as many volunteer hours at the school as I could squeeze in. I said yes to every teacher that needed any help, and would cancel plans with friends at the last minute cuz they needed me at work. This year I want to have some fun (at least a little ;) ) The world will go on without me, haha

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2005

Oh, it is so reassuring to hear that others are "paper-challenged" (when it comes to organizing) as well! I usually have the somewhat dubious honour of having one of the messiest desks in the school :eek: ! This year I am determined to try to keep things under control a little more--being able to see the surface of my desk, marking and filing (and sending home more often!) the students' work, and being ruthless about what I keep and what I don't. Former students who know me well have never been sure whether or not I can do it...but everyone can change ;)

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2005

I had the messiest and noisiest kindergarten room in the school. The way I look at is my kids are in a developementally appropriate program, it's their room and they are engaged & learning. I use a lot of different activities to reach each & every student, that takes alot of supplies & equipment & I don't always have the energy to clean up to everone else's standards at the end of the day.

22. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2005

I usually leave most of my mess and then clean up in the morning (not food and stuff, but scrap paper, pencils, etc). By the end of class I'm just too beat to clean up... haha

23. dee

dee Companion

Aug 9, 2005

I know the feeling about seeing the bottom of your desk- I would like to be able to do it also. I too would like to be able to put things in folders and files as soon as I am done with them. Doing this will save me lots of work later in the week or month

24. lvtchr

lvtchr Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

To All the Dreamers Out There,
    We must face these facts:
    There are not enough hours because...
    If we took the time to file things away every day we would have no time to prepare to teach.
    If we graded every paper as soon as it was turned in we would have no time to file things away, spend with our families, or prepare to teach.
    What we need is to find our own happy balance. What do you need the most to keep you okay and can you do this and be the best teacher?
    Sometimes that means a messy desk or the kids just don't get their papers back right away, but wasn't your weekend or workout worth it to you and your students.
    I stress like all the rest, but all I can do is my best. Isn't that what we tell our students.

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2005

I'm resolving to get a housekeeper! I want one to come and tidy up once every two weeks or so. I've been wanting one for years, and I'm hoping this is the year. I hate spending my weekends cleaning! Not really a school thing, but it will make me happier and a happier me makes for a happier class and family. :)

26. lvtchr

lvtchr Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

Way to go kinderkids,
    It starts with you or as my husband says, "If mom's not happy, nobody is allowed to be." You can only be your best if you really have "your" needs taken care of. It is not being selfish, it's being a women, wife, mom, teacher, a leader, a giver, you need to give to yourself.

I apologize to all the male teachers, but if you teach, really teach, change the gender and do the same.

27. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Aug 10, 2005

Teacherspet24 ... a little off the subject, but if you liked and felt inspired by Debbie Miller's book, try a new book out by Kathy Collins, called "Growing Readers." I cannot put it down (sad, I know) ... it's a combination of Lucy Calkins and Miller, but with very practical information on how to teach mini-lessons and do conferences that encourage our young readers to think critically and deeper.
    As for resolutions, I'm with all of you who talk about organizing better. I waste so much time looking for things that should be filed or put in the same place every time I'm done using them ... I'm only in my third year, but I know I could be a better teacher if I could just tame the paper monster.

28. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

DinDenver, Thanks for the recommendation on the book. I will look into it after I am done with the 2 I have. Does anyone have a recommendation for 2nd grade books for a classroom library?

29. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2005

ok. I've made on resolution, my next is to use the circular file more & not be such a packrat!!!

30. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Aug 10, 2005

Learn to prioritize and cut down on the procrastinating (to say "stop procrastinating" would be completely unrealistic for me :) ). I always have a bunch of projects that I'm working on at the same time, and of course I'm always the most interested in working on the one that doesn't need to be finished the soonest!

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2005

OMG, of course I didn't even keep my resolution for one day. I didn't pick out my read-alouds. Tomorrow ....

32. NCP

NCP Comrade

Aug 10, 2005

My resolutions are a mix of teaching/personal:
    1. File things at the end of the day, not the end of the year.
    2. Leave school with my room the way I want to enter it in the morning.
    3. Stick to my workouts three days a week. I feel so much better when I do and need to stop cutting those out.
    4. Read books for personal enjoyment.

33. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Aug 10, 2005

srh, don't worry, you're not alone on this!!!

love2teach, I understand you well!

:D

Besides managing my time better and learning to shortcut, I expect to improve at many aspects of my teacher practice, particularly the teacher-student relation.

34. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2005

Mine would be to plan ahead and have my things prepared ahead of time. I am always running around searching for things last minute. And to be more organized!!!!!!!!!!

35. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2005

Its so nice to know that I'm not alone in my thoughts and stresses! I feel a lot of the same ways you guys do. Here's to a great year and keeping our resolutions (ahem...upsadaisy...hehe):)

36. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

School Year Resolutions

..... I resolve not to have the messiest desk in the school. (My colleagues will laugh when they see this .....)

..... I resolve not to be the last one to turn in article for newsletters.

..... I resolve not to spend more on my classroom than I do for food.

..... I resolve not to spend any time on school stuff one day each week, preferably Sunday.

Trudy

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2005

Haha, ruralneteach .... more than for food. Whew.

Leigh, OMG, I just realized I didn't do it yesterday either. Today, for sure!

38. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 12, 2005

MIne...

Survive. Period. ;)

I'm taking a class in the fall, on top of a new classroom (1st real position), moving, etc... yeah. Surviving will be good. ;)

Well, and not going totally crazy. ;)

39. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

And here I thought going crazy was a requirement!

40. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 12, 2005

hehe... semi-crazy is, but perhaps i don't want to be entirely crazy. ;)

41. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2005

Okay, so I have one more resolution to add to my list...

Take better care of my fishie...I spent a good hour scrubbing the fish tank (with him out of it of course) and placing new gravel and stuff in it. The poor thing was treated like dirt at the end of the school year...by this time of the summer, his water was disgusting. I actually felt guilty today. So I pledge to treat Crazy (my students named him last year) with more respect! hehe

And one thing I'd like to try and stick to, but I know I probably won't...leaving school by 5pm. We get out at 3:40pm and I usually stay until almost 6pm...I'm so exhausted by the time I finally get home and eat (I have a 45 min drive) that the night is wasted. So, except for the night when I have grad class until 7:30, I will do my best to leave school by 5pm :)

Upsadaisy- how'd you do today????? :p