New school post office (wee deliver) suggestions needed!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by tgi1515, Aug 4, 2008.

1. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

:help: I just found out that I am on the committee to form a Wee Deliver Post Office for students (Pre-K to 5th) to deliver mail to one another. I have some ideas, but would like to avoid the "hard knocks" route if I can. Also, if you know of something online, please send the web address, I need all the help I can get. :unsure:

I'm starting to feel a little stressed about the beginning of school anyway. We are teaming up with Head Start (I think this is a good thing) but have been told very little. I'm also supposed to get a new teacher's aide, but have been told nothing. So, thanks ahead of time for your tips and ideas.:wub:

3. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I participated in Wee Deliver two years ago. Basically we partnered up with another class (I was K and my buddy was in 3rd). We matched each of our students up with a partner. Every other week we would send them a "letter." So we were writing twice a month and receiving twice a month. I felt as though it was a lot of work for me. My kids, in the beginning could not stuff their envelopes, address them, etc. After we wrote the letters we wrapped them with one rubber band and put them in the main mailbox. Once a week students would stay after school and deliver the mail. There was a schedule which we were supposed to follow (certain days to have letters in the box by). Good luck.

4. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

I haven't done this but I have read about it because I am thinking about starting this at my school. I was thinking of it as much less structured (I think it would be very difficult in K - especially with deadlines). Students would be able to choose to write to anyone in the school that they want. At the beginning of the year it might be more structured - especially the first year.

5. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Students are encouraged to write to anyone. However, there are also times where they must write to a given student from a class. This is up to the teacher if they would like to participate. I chose to do this as it was frowned upon if you did not. This also guaranteed that the students would have things to deliver. Not every class did it.

6. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 4, 2008

Our parents are encouraged to write letters to their children and then they are deilvered through Wee Deliver. The kids love getting notes from home. We have delivery every Thursday. 4th and 5th graders apply to work at WD, either as sorters or deliverers.

7. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

What were you reading? I'm trying to find information on how to organize and set it up.

8. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I don't know what I was reading. I heard about on a group and I just googled it. I haven't had any luck finding information about setting it up. We are just going contact the local post office.

9. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

this idea comes from when i was in 4th/5th grade! we had a school post office program as well. to kick off the program they had every student in the whole school design a stamp! they had a panel of judges that chose the top 3 or 4 stamps. those students received a prize of some sort and those were the 4 stamps we used for the letters. it definitely got everyone excited about the post office.

the 5th graders also helped sort and deliver mail. you had to be chosen. but i believe we filled out a little job application too. and you held the position for a month or two and then it switched to other students.

we were able to write letters to anyone in the school. i do remember in the beginning we did write more structured as a whole class to assigned students to get the hang of everything. but as the year went on you just ended up writing to who you knew!

best of luck with this!

10. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Hi. I've been on vacation in nice cool, misty, Texas, but I contacted our local Post Office before I left. They weren't sure that the USPO was still doing the wee deliver program. I'm supposed to contact them on Monday when I get back to see what they find out. Thanks for all your info. I'll let you know what I find out.

KM... I like the stamp contest. I'll put that idea in my bag of tricks.

I googled wee deliver also. I found several sites but none that gave "start up" directions. I did find a few applications for employment that I will use.

Thanks for your help!! :)