New School is Great!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Starista, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

Good Morning Friends,

I have some happy news to share! :love:

As many of you know I left my school where I had taught for 6 years to accept a position at a different school for this year! Third grade. :)

I'm not a risk taker. At all. This was a huge leap for me, but I was getting frustrated with a lot of things at current school and decided that, despite the horrible economy, I would see what else is out there.

I was hired in May... telling my former P that I wasn't coming back was one of the most difficult things. I did it ASAP as I didn't want her to have stress about finding a replacement for me. (I hope that doesn't sound like I think I am this thrillingly awesome teacher -- just meant that I know it can be stressful). She was nice (enough) and wished me the best!

About three weeks later (or so, who can keep track of dates during the summer) I go to my new school to sign my paper work, fill out payroll, etc! My new P takes me to my classroom and shows me my manuals, etc... As many of you also know, I am pregnant. :dizzy:

At this day when the P was showing me my classroom I was about 7 weeks. We had an early Ultrasound due to several previous losses and the OB said "we can see a heartbeat this time.. it looks good, but you're still not out of the woods." Still... I felt compelled to tell her. Probably should have waited for the standard 12 weeks. But I just blurted it out in a super fast voice! She said "I am so happy for you! I will keep you in my prayers!" And HUGGED me. I love hugs.

Just when you think the story is enough to put my mind at ease about feeling guilty about starting @ a new school pregnant... three days later she sends us a GREETING CARD in the mail (US Mail, not an ecard!!!) congratulating us!!!!!!

I go in again yesterday to drop her off a candle that I got as a kind of "thank you." (Bath and Body has some candles 75% off right now.)

She sat with me for 2 hours answering allllll my questions. :)

I assured her that I would do everything in my power to ease the parents' fears about having the "pregnany teacher." At my old school, I was 1 of 3 second grade teachers... and parents had no reservations expressing how they didn't want to get "stuck with" the pregnant teacher.

She said she had no doubt in her mind about that!

She has a great sense of humor, is relaxed, and we hugged AGAIN!

I went to my classroom and met the 5th grade teacher who is also very friendly and answered all my questions. :)

As there is only one class per grade at new school, I will likely lean heavily on the 2nd and 4th grade teachers, but was so wonderful to meet the teacher in 5th! :)

I will be a newbie to 3rd grade, and have some nervousness about not having "the other 3rd grade teacher" to learn from. At my old school there were 3 of us per grade! I think as long as I follow the standards and prepare them for 4th grade -- I'll be ok. :hugs:

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Starista, I'm so happy for you! Congratulations on the baby and new job. You have a lot to look forward to. Sounds like the new campus is going to be a wonderful place to work.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Yay! Yay! Yay!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2010

That's wonderful!

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

Don't you just love it when things turn out well? btw, I would have blabbed about the pregnancy too - such a good omen that the P was cool.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

This is great! I'm so glad things are working out!

8. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

I think its great that you were open and honest with your new principal and I'm glad its working out so well :). I also changed jobs after 6 years - with a move of about 800 miles to my new school - and then adopted my son 1 year after starting my new job.

It is so refreshing to start at a new school. I don't know how people who stay in the same school their whole careers keep themselves fresh (but I have seen many who do). I changed schools/jobs after 6 years, then after the next 8 years and have now been where I'm at for 4. I'm still loving it so figure I have at least a couple more years here.

9. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

Congrats on the new job and congrats on the pregnancy! Lots of changes but exciting, wonderful ones! I hope the upcoming year is filled with learning, laughter and love!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 30, 2010

That's great! Sounds like you have found a wonderful new home.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

Congratulations!!! :)

12. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

:):):):):):)

Your new principal sounds like a real gem.

13. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

God has blessed you! Congratulations on the baby, the job, and obviously a life full of love and happiness. I am sure you had your trials along the way, so finally you deserve this blessing. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years now, but it hasnt happened. I havent given up yet, but adoption is on our list once I hit 30 only because I am overweight and I dont need age as an added risk.

I wish you the best. keep us posted on your new school...again congrats!!

14. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Congrats on your new job and the baby!!

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 31, 2010

What a relief to find a great school!!! What is your due date?

16. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 31, 2010

That is great news! It's so hard to be new in a school! I'm glad your P and staff are welcoming! :D

17. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 31, 2010

Thank you all so much for your kind words!

My due date is February 21, 2011. However I read that many first time moms will not deliver until later than their estimated due date. We'll see what this turkey decides to do! :lol:

As difficult as it was to make the decision to find a different school, I am truly happy that I did. I realize that the economy is in shambles and the teaching jobs are so difficult to find, but I couldn't accept the fact that I was unhappy where I taught.

I loved the kids and loved, loved, loved my co-workers. I met two amazing ladies at that school who have become my kindred spirits. :) I had fine communication and standing with the parents. When my classroom door was closed and it was just students and me busy -- I was fine!!

The morale was so low. :(

I hadn't been happy there for what was going to become 3 years for many reasons. For awhile I worried that I was becoming one of those cantankerous (sp?) cranky women who aren't happy regardless of where they work. :( I didn't want to be like that. I found myself having to wear a rubber band around my wrist and "snap" it every time I felt like complaining about things!

I realized it just couldn't be like that everywhere... I am positive that my new school will come with its share of problems and things that upset the faculty & staff. Hopefully, as I am going into my 10th year teaching, I will be able to focus on what's important: educating the children and ensuring they're happy and safe and thriving! :)