New School - 8 ELL Students!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kindergartenker, Sep 26, 2007.

1. kindergartenker

kindergartenker New Member

Sep 26, 2007

Hi Everyone,

This is my second year of teaching and I just got hired in a new district. I love my school, and I love my district. But I have 8 ELL (ESL) students in my classroom. I am having a difficult time holding their attention, and they also seem to be my behavior problems. Does anybody have any suggestions or activites to use with ELL students? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

3. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007

You need to go outside of the box to teach them and make them understand. Use a lot of visuals, concrete examples and hands-on activities to hold their attention span.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2007

Not sure I have much advice. I have seven new English learners this year and am having some similar problems. It is so hard to have their attention. I try to imagine myself in their shoes. Sitting in a room all day with someone going on and on in a language I don't really understand. I'd be hard pressed to sit quietly and look at that person for hours, too.

I'd continue to try to make your lessons as engaging as possible. Lots of movement. Lots of hands-on. Be dramatic.

I do know it will get better!

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2007

We have very high numbers of ELL kids here in So. California.
    I think it's around 75-80% in my school. :) There are good classes to learn how to teach these children so they don't fall behind. Maybe you can find a few books. They need lots of visuals and modeling. Good luck!