New Scholastic "Reading Club"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iteachbx, Aug 2, 2013.

1. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

Has anyone checked out the Scholastic book club website since they relaunched yesterday? It's completely different. It's called the "Reading Club" now. Except I can't get onto it! After I log in it asks me to update my information and when I do it just starts the whole update your information thing all over again. :( I've been waiting for weeks to get on and order some new books with my bonus points.

Update: So I figured out how to get on it- and I'm tad bit disappointed. Now each flyer is supposed to be grade specific. So you can download SeeSaw say for 1st or K and it says in huge letters across the top of the flyer FIRST GRADERS. I used to send SeeSaw home with many of my 3rd graders who are reading on a 1st grade level. The kids knew they were getting different flyers but I feel like this really just shoves it in their face. They loved the SeeSaw orders they never really cared or felt like they were missing out. But how can a 9-year-old get excited about something that says FIRST GRADER across it in huge letters? :mad:

3. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

I just checked and was able to log in to my account.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2013

That's really disappointing. I'm surprised they didn't think that through because it will surely hurt sales. I too would send home multiple catalogs, but probably won't use them if they are labeled for first.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

Not only will hurt it their sales its gonna hurt my bonus point total! lol Can't decide what I'm going to do.

6. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Aug 2, 2013

I haven't logged in online yet, but I got 3 catalogs at school this year:

The 4th grade catalog with it written large across the top like you said
    A 3rd-6th grade catalog with quite a large variety of books, and the middle 2-page spread is organized by Guided Reading Level
    A K-6 catalog of books

So maybe you could send home a 3rd grade and a K-2 packet. I can't remember if the 3rd-6th catalog had the grades listed on it or not, I can check on Monday.

7. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

I would send them your feedback about the grade level across the top thing. If enough teachers complain about it (for a good reason), there's a good chance they'll change it.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

Yeah I'm definitely going to. I see what they're trying to do, and it's organized nicely and really geared towards the interests of each grade level. They're just neglecting the fact that there are plenty of kids who need books that are actually written for younger children. I don't know if they have it in the catalog but there was something on the site for readers approaching grade level in each grade.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

It's so disappointing. I teach HS special education and the kids love those SeeSaw books and never really realized they were too young. Now, they won't be getting any Scholastic orders sent home because I'm not going to send home a 17 year old with a flyer that says FIRST GRADERS on it. In the past, there were always some references to grade level, but they weren't obvious enough for students to notice. :mad:

10. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 2, 2013

Well, I'm looking to reading resources since I'm basically starting from scratch. I guess that'll be one less place I have to bother with.

11. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

Everyone, please contact them with your concerns! A quick email works. They're much more likely to change it if they hear from more people.

12. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 2, 2013

I went on for the first time today and I also was having a hard time logging in due to the updating screen freezing. I am disappointed with the new online setup, as well as the way the catalogs are labeled. I used to love scholastic book clubs, but I am less than enthused with the scholastic reading club.