New Room

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by brandi0718, Jun 9, 2008.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I am moving into a new room this year and it is much bigger than my room last year. I also purchased 5 rectangle tables to use instead of desks...(a fellow teacher and i got the tables off of ebay). Our school district got a grant and they are re-doing the rooms...we will have new windows, counters, flooring, paint, etc. I am very excited about setting up my new room and I have been looking at all of the classroom themes that will be used this coming up year. I am wanting to kind of do a "color" theme. I just LOVE colorful stuff, but I don't want it to look tacky. Any ideas, suggestions, or pictures of colorful classrooms?

3. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

Here are some pictures of my 4th grade classroom two years ago. I don't know if they're what you're looking for, but I tried to make it as colorful as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are pictures of my room from this past year: http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/204053/overview

4. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

Oh my gosh where did you get your noise level chart? I love it!!

5. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 9, 2008

Love the colorful room!! I was wondering if using primary type colors as a theme would look good....and wow, yours is great!

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

7. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

Thank you :)

8. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

That one is cute too. I like it!! Thanks! You have just been so super helpful!! Thanks again!

9. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I have seen that noise chart at Lakeshore

10. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

Is that a website?

11. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 9, 2008

I love colorful rooms too. I always select a pair of curtains for my room, and plan around those. Some rooms are so dull and dark looking. I don't even want to be in them. I can not even imagine how the kids feel.

12. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I feel the same way. I figure that with as much time as I spend in my room each day, I might as well enjoy what I see. I know that some rooms barely have anything up, for whatever reason, and I think about how depressing that must be for their students.

I wish we could hang up curtains in our rooms. I would definitely do that to add some color/personality. Unfortunately, our Fire Marshall is way to strict. We can't have any type of cloth in our rooms, nor anything hanging up in the hallway or from our ceilings. I feel like our school looks like an institution with how white and stark everything is. :( At one point, he even said that nothing in our rooms could be laminated, which, as you can imagine, threw the entire staff into an uproar. I think we were able to get that "rule" taken away since teachers laminate EVERYTHING. We are able to have 100% of our room covered, which was only 50% the year before, so that was the only good thing that came out of that battle.

13. BellJ

BellJ Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

I wanted a colorful room last year, but I really like for everything to "match." I ended up doing polka dots! I found a great border that was black with multicolored polka dots and I used it on my boards. The black kind of grounded the room and I was able to use lots of colors for my baskets and backgrounds. It was so cute!

I wish I had taken pictures. :(

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 9, 2008

Why do they make these rules? How often do fires start in the classroom? I would be more concerned with microwaves, coffee machines and potpourri pots if fire is such a concern. Do they think some kid is going to take a lighter to the curtains? Normal buildings have curtains... our office hasn't been told to take them down. It's so strange. And frustrating.

15. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

Ah, something else I forgot ... we also aren't allowed to have microwaves, coffee machines, or refrigerators in our rooms either. It's just a shame that a lot of the fun has been taken out of school in terms of what the environment looks/feels like. And the frustrating thing about the whole situation is that every Fire Marshall is different in terms of their guidelines. One says we can do something and then a new one comes along and changes everything.

16. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I was thinking the polka dot thing. I have several kinds of polka dot border and I want to get some of the big colorful circles that you can get from Lowes and put on the wall (they can be removed if needed) and I really wanted a polka dot rug for carpet time but I couldnt find one within my price range so I found one with different colored squares on it--just hope it doesnt throw the room off.

17. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I know that as soon as Target starts to put out their Back to School stuff, they usually have $20 rugs (that's how much my orange rugs were) in the off to college section that you might try to find a polka dotted rug in.

18. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

Thats a good idea---do u think it would be big enough for a class of about 24 to sit on---or maybe put 2 rugs together?

19. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

I guess we have a really laid back fire marshall because the majority of the teachers in my school have strings of lights or paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling as well as fabric and we can have refrigerators, microwaves, and coffee pots all in our rooms. I guess we're lucky, but I don't have any windows. sigh...:(

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 9, 2008

I'm hoping I get lucky at the private school. I asked about hanging things from the ceiling, and the principal said there is a ladder that tall (very high ceilings), so I'm guessing that's a go. I was told that we couldn't wear open toed shoes because of Osha, though, which is really strange, as I won't be working around food. I thought that was the big thing? I'm trying to decide if this means peep-toe shoes, too.

21. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 9, 2008

We are not allowed to have microwaves etc either, but because they are not instructional. We are only allowed to have electronics and such in our rooms if they are instructional. Go figure?

22. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

Yeah our school has door and hallway decorating competitions where the kids can win a party for the class and when I was student teaching we had a huge tree that went up the wall across the ceiling and over to the other side of the hall. It was made of bulletin board paper and came in contact with lights. It also had leaves and fabric and strings of lights run through the branches and this kind of decorating is typical at my school. And I am so glad!!

23. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

One of my GLE's is on following a recipe. My actual lesson is giving the students a puppy chow recipe. Having them sequence the steps (First melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter, next...) and make the chow.

There I tied using a microwave into an instructional standard!