new room!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kem, Jul 25, 2007.

1. kem

kem Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I'm looking for some ideas and advice from all of you kindergarten teachers. I am starting my first year teaching, and will be a new section of kindergarten. Although I will be sharing some furniture, manipulatives, etc. with the other teachers in my school and district, I am in the process of making lists of things that I may want or need. I'm looking for your input on furniture or other materials/activities that you love and couldn't live without. My biggest question is on shelving...what works well for you? Thanks!

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Regarding your question on shelving - are you looking for storage for your supplies or for students that they can access?
    If you can get cubbies from your school/district, those were my favorite pieces of furniture. I used them to hold tubs of supplies, games, small white boards, everything!!

One of the cheapest things I used were beans. I bought every single kind and used them for counting, sorting, patterning, art projects, Bingo dots, having them glue them onto letters, numbers, their name. We planted lima beans - I didn't ever cook with them, but you could!

Good luck on your first year in kinder - I loved it!

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 27, 2007

My best suggesting is to buy the smallest furniture offered. If you buy small tables, you can place them together to make one big table, but you can't take apart one big table to make small ones.