new room

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Touchthefuture, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 9, 2014

Hi, again I am new to 4th grade and I will be going into a completely empty room.I will only be teaching reading but will infuse Science, SocialStudies and the Arts into that content. I am looking for suggestions on critical things to put up in the room or things I need to have. I will be on a low budget so will try to make things as well. HELP!!!!

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2014

You'll need to display your standards as you teach them...you can put these on large poster paper or on sentence strips. Also, you'll need mailboxes for keeping student papers and other communications that go home regularly. A classroom library is a must, with leveled texts of different genres. A few posters about reading would be nice but not too many. Things on the wall should be for the lessons you're teaching, not for wallpaper. Students with ADD may be distracted more easily. Have lots of construction paper on hand as well as other types of paper for foldables, folders, word maps, graphic organizers, etc...you will need to display the ABCs in cursive and print depending on your school. Try to get your hands on current wall maps and globes. Your school should have a few somewhere. Remember to borrow from your school's library so you can keep some books on rotation. Also, your own public library is a great resource. You will need bags for students to keep their own books in if you want them to have independent reading choices available daily...large ziplocs work well. Also, get some of those "book size baskets" from your Dollar Store before they're all gone. The more the better. You can use them for your classroom library books and also for your students' group supplies.

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 9, 2014

thanks for your input. I was thinking only a few reading motivational charts and the rest will be anchor charts for what we are working on.

5. TXTeacherW

TXTeacherW Rookie

Feb 14, 2015

One of the things I learned very quickly my first year was not to over do it on the decor-type posters. There are some that I love and kept, but you will need lots of blank space to hang anchor charts. I use the large sticky note chart paper, as well as the over-sized post-its. I constantly catch my students referring to our anchor charts or looking at them while they are doing their work.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize how old this post was. :D