new reward system

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sizzla_222, Nov 14, 2012.

1. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Nov 14, 2012

hey guys,
    first year teacher here. I have just started a new reward system in my 3rd grade class today. So far I am very happy with it! The kids have been amazing!!! I know that it is only the first day but I hope it keeps working!!

I have a pretty crazy group.... they were getting a lot of negative consequences, like losing recess etc....It wasn't helping with classroom management at all. I did have a positive part but it was too hard for some students to achieve.

It is relatively simple..... the class is split into teams, they can earn points for positive actions. The team with the most points at the end of the month gets to choose their own positive reward, pizza, ice cream, or electronics party etc. I had them come up with team names and each team has a leader for the week too. Students will sit with their team for the whole month.

It gives them something to work for and it gives the students some accountability as the rest of their table tells them to behave so they can get points.

3. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Nov 14, 2012

I am a first year so i am definitely still trying to work things out.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2012

You may want to do something small to encourage positive behaviors throughout the month. Maybe a little celebration for the team with the most points at the end of the week or the team who earned the most points that day. This might help you hit more teams with positives throughout the month.

Just a thought...

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 14, 2012

Just out of curiosity, what is the other team doing while the winning team gets pizza and ice cream? Also what do you do if the same team keeps winning month after month and the kids think it's unfair?

Can you do something where the entire class wins a reward if they all exhibit a behavior and still have them work at keeping their classmates accountable?

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 14, 2012

For 3rd grade I would probably do some smaller rewards, but more frequently, such as every Friday. Also, how do the teams win? Is there only 1 possible spot for a winner team? I would do it that everyone can technically win, so it's more fair, they all have the chance, as long as they fulfill certain requirements. That way a certain team might not feel unfair because they have one or more behavior problem students in their team, and other teams lucked out.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 14, 2012

Sizzla,

I think you're on the right track! I use a similar system with my kiddos, except it's weekly. The team with the most points at the end of the week earns a scratch and sniff sticker, pencil, piece of candy, or something else that's cheap and easy.

Also, I switch the groups each Friday.

I've seen improvement in my students with behavioral issues because their "teammates" are constantly encouraging them to pay attention, keep their desk clean, have their "tool box" (pencil box) neat and organized, etc. The kids really help keep each other "in check" so they can earn a point for their team.

There have been times when all teams had the same number of points at the end of the week! In that case, everyone gets a reward (usually five minutes of extra recess time or they get to eat their lunch in the classroom with me while we watch a video).

Again, I really think you were wise to have noticed that there was an issue with poor behavior in your classroom and you're working toward trying to remedy the situaiton!

~YTG

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Nov 14, 2012

Definitely agree with others that it would be helpful to do 2 things:

1) Smaller intervals of cashing in points (e.g., daily, weekly at most)

2) Remove component of winner & loser. Let teams potentially compete, but against themselves to see how many points. All points, regardless of whether that team has less, can be traded in for something.

I think we all really hate to be downers on your new idea :), but we want you to be successful and - while it's working on the first day - there may be some potential problems you run into. However, if you chose to keep it the way that it is, please come back and report how everything goes after the first month and point trade-in is complete!