New Resource Room Teacher

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kidatheart, Mar 15, 2009.

1. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Mar 15, 2009

I was just informed that I am going to be moved into a resource room (math, lang arts) next year. I am currently an inclusion teacher. I am a little nervous. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

:confused:

How do you start the year? Do you assess to see what they know? What type of base line assessments do you do? :help:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2009

When I taught in a Resource Room a couple of years ago, I didn't start my program the first week of school (with my principal's approval). I felt that the students needed that time to be in their homeroom classrooms, to get to know teachers, classmates and routines. I spent some time in the classrooms, getting to know the students (all of them, not just mine), observing them, assessing and prioritizing needs and helping the classroom teachers do some diagnostic testing with all of their students. I also read the student files of all of my students and created a timetable for the resource room that would work with the schedules of all of the teachers. At my school, within the first month of school all students do a diagnostic writing sample, math screening, spelling assessment and reading assessment (PM Benchmark or DRA). I use this data as a starting point with my students.

Good luck with your new venture!

4. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Mar 15, 2009

I do exactly what Mrs. C. said! I am a K-5 elementary resource teacher.

5. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Mar 16, 2009

I'm a resource teacher in high school, my problem was getting a hand on classroom management. I now use a reward system and I have assigned seating.

6. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Mar 17, 2009

We have block scheduling, 3 blocks a day for the main courses - math, LAL, and sci/ss combined. The resource kids are assigned prior to starting the year, so they never go to reg ed classes for math or lal. They are mainstreamed for sci/ss with an inclusion teacher.
    It would be interesting to have them join the reg ed classes for the first week or so, but do you find that they feel stigmatized because they are then pulled from the class?

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2009

I assume that they are also mainstreamed for phys ed and specials? Either way, everyone will "know" that they aren't there for the whole day. As far as stigma is concerned, I think that it is only there if the school climate allows it to be. I've been very lucky in my schools; it's just accepted that some students are in the classroom for the whole day and some for only part of the time. I think that the peer modelling and relationships from the mainstream class are very important.

8. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Mar 24, 2009

Thanks so much! Well, I received confirmation yesterday afternoon - I am going to be in the next grade level up, so I'll have the same kids I work with now - a great group for my first year in resource. I am very happy not to be in 7th grade because they were tough when I had them as 5th graders last year!