New Puppy-housetraining??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss84, May 5, 2013.

1. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

May 5, 2013

I'm so excited about getting my new puppy (toy poodle) in a week!! :D I'm almost 100% ready (supplies, vet appointment, name, etc) except for the potty training!! The breeder starts them on the washable pads, but eventually I'd like to ween her to going outside. BUT living on the 2nd floor of a condo-that isn't going to be quite easy when she is this little w/ out all of her shots. I was thinking of putting the pee-pads in a holder (or small plastic tub) on the balcony? Getting her used to use the pads OUTSIDE and not see the inside of the house being a place to use the bathroom. Thoughts? Suggestions? ANYTHING?!:lol:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2013

What an exciting time in life...it was for me! I had a dog that's about the size of your puppy (no more than 15 lbs). I 1st got him when I lived with my parents in a 2-story house & we built a good-sized "bathroom box" that we kept in the garage & lined with newspapers. The cleanup or odor wasn't nearly as bad as you may think. Yes, I'd carry him into the box where he'd go & then I'd pick up the pooh right away & into the trash can right next to the box. This eliminated ever having to actually go out into the outdoors in the elements & my parents' house didn't really have any area in theier backyard where a dog could eliminate.

When I moved into my 2nd floor apt, my BF built my own bathroom box that I kept on my balcony/patio. There was no bad smell & I'll just put him in the box every 2-3 hrs where he'd go. This is perfect if you don't have time to regularly take him for walks. During the day while I was at work, he'd be sectioned off in my bathroom & laundry room, but he never took to the wee pad & kept there just in case. Of course when I was home, he'd have free range of the apt.

I think the next small dog I get, I'll train him to ring a bell hanging from the doorknob if he needs to go out OR try this bathroom method: http://www.doglitter.com/

The above site shows little videos on how to train your puppy too.

Have fun & good luck!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

Dog litter did not prove to be effective for us. He was afraid of it...but would be brave long enough to grab some in his mouth to eat. I'm glad we just use the great outdoors. Works for us. :)