New Principal

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dr.gator, Sep 2, 2009.

1. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

Did you get a new principal this year? If so, how is it going? Would you go back to what you had or are you glad that the change was made? What is your new principal doing that is better than your old, and what did your old principal do that your new should have kept doing? Just wondering your thoughts on the topic.

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 2, 2009

Posting to keep this one alive.

I've had the same P for about 6 years, I've enjoyed him most of the time. He's not perfect, just human and God knows I've sure had worse!!!

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 2, 2009

I don't have a new principal this year, but my mom (9-12 grade English) does. He was the third choice and it is very obvious why from the stories I've heard already. They aren't my stories to tell so I won't share details, but he sounds like an idiot!

The second choice is over the bus and maintenance operations of the district. That makes no sense to me!

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

We had a new principal come in last year. She is better. She developed connections with all of the staff including the paras. She had several meetings with the paras throughout the year.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

We got a new principal last year - literally two days before school started. It was great. The old principal was a holy terror and the teachers had a little party in the school parking lot after the special board meeting where she tendered her resignation. The whole feeling of the school was different last year. People were actually happy to be at work. I think things definately worked to our advantage.

7. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

We have a new principal this year. He was our 2nd choice, but thinks he was our first choice. None of us would ever let him know though. I think he handles new situations by trying to control EVERYTHING, but is beginning to realize that just won't work very well. He has some great ideas, but has a hard time truly listening when someone questions his great ideas. It takes A LOT of time to talk with him, but he will come around. I worked for him before when he was a assistant principal and it was such an unhealthy environment with a crazy P, so I am not sure how much of what I knew about him is about trying to survive craziness or is actually how he normally is.

It is hard to really compare him to our former principal because he was hired 2.5 weeks ago. There are so many things not done because we didn't have a principal that we are just trying to get what absolutely needs to be in place for students on Tuesday. However, he is terrible at facilitating discussions. He wants to have discussions (which is good), but he can not facilitate a group discussion. Hours of a meeting with nothing decided at the end...yuck.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 2, 2009

We got a new P a few years ago and I wish I had nicer things to say but...

My old P was fantastic and was very involved with the students and had a ton of activities and incentives for the students. New P canceled almost all of them her first year. She doesn't seem to like kids and we've caught her lying a few times. I'm getting used to her and a few of us have persuaded her to let more fun activities happen so things are improving. The first year, I put in a transfer, I'm glad I stayed though... I love my school.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2009

We have a new vice-principal this year and, so far, she is fabulous! She's brand-new to administration, having been in the classroom last year, so she clearly remembers what it's like on our side of the fence. She's funny, has a great sense of humour and has been asking us a lot of questions about how we have traditionally done things at our school. I'm looking forward to working with her.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

I'm new to my school, but so is one of our assistant principals, and he is wonderful!

11. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Sep 3, 2009

This is my principal's 3rd year at my school. I thought that she might start the year better than the past years but I was wrong. She only know the kids that get sent to the office. She never walks the halls or visits classroom. She delegate her work to others and then complains that if the teachers would have control over their classes, she could get her work done. Our old prinicpal was so good. I really miss her=(

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 3, 2009

We have a new principal and so far so good. He seems very nice and is always out i the lunchroom and outside school or watching the kids eat breakfast.

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2009

My principal was new to the school last year, but not new to the district. He wa actually working in the central office when a situation occured at my school. So he stepped into the position with about 6 weeks left of the school year.
    I am new to the district this year. I have say I think he is wonderful. He treats us like we actually have a head on our shoulders. He lets us teach, and have dignity at the same time. i have seen him just about every where, but mostly I see him the hallway spending time with the kids. My last principal was a micro manager, and pretty much dictated EVERYTHING that happened in my classroom. Right down the minutes I spent letting the kids take a break. She also had henchmen that would come in and do her dirty work for her. She had no respect for us teachers or my opinion any respect for the kids. She was a high school teacher and has no clue about how elementary kids should be taught. It was an awful situation. God was looking down on me when he pointed me in this district's direction.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2009

We got a new P last year. That's all I have to say. Except that I'm thinking of retiring earlier than I had planned.

15. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 17, 2011

Since this was done back in 2009 I wanted to see if anyone who posted to this has any updates?!!!

I especially want to hear from swansong1!!! Have things changed?

My school maybe getting a new P next year but we are not sure yet.

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 17, 2011

Our principal has her ups and downs. Still not a huge fan, but I've gotten used to her. She still lies a lot which is the one thing the entire staff (not just teachers) has seen at one time or another. we know it could be worse (there are some really bad/crazy principals in our district) but most of us remember when it was much better.

17. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 17, 2011

I don't have an update, but I will be starting the new year with a new principal and new assistant principal. I'm a little apprehensive because our new P has no administrative experience, and we will have 4 or 5 new teachers too. They haven't hired the AP yet, so we'll see how that goes. But... I'm keeping an open mind and hoping for the best! :)

18. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 17, 2011

Wow! Comaba I wonder what it will be like with a new P and AP.

19. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 17, 2011

Oh, I do too!

Another year, I had a new P and AP, but the P had been an AP in the district so he was familiar with procedures, policies, students, etc. The AP was brand new, both to our district and to admin, but I really liked her. So, I'm keeping an open mind. It might be a great year!

20. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 17, 2011

Clean slate I guess.

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2011

Nothing new here! Still love my job and still have the world's greatest principal. I could live without some of my coworkers, though. I think that's a different thread though.

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 17, 2011

We are getting a new principal in the fall. Our current principal is retiring. I'm looking forward to working with our new principal.

23. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 18, 2011

I had a new principal this year! NOT A FAN! I wish our old principal would come out of retirement! Our new principal has been caught lying numerous times (he didn't think we would check with other people in the district), didn't want to deal with discipline issues ( he made the school social worker deal with them, including sending them home early after they trashed her office) while he did nothing, moved the secretary's desk in front of his door so no one could have "easy" access to him! You need to go through the secretary to "see" him. He would "sneak" around the building during the day. He would listen from the doorway (hiding so you couldn't see him) and that is how he did his evaluations on staff. And then to top off the year, he decided that since his staff was strong and questioning things he was doing, he had over 80% of us transferred to other buildings in the district! When he transferred us, he used this formula-if you were a strong grade level, you were broken up. If you had friendships in that building you were broken up and separated in the other buildings! WHAT A MESS!!!! And to make this harder, our hard work paid off. We brought up our test scores over 15 percentage points over last year!
    Ok-just a little bitter with the new principal! He did not end the year well with anyone on staff! He didn't even speak at our year end luncheon!

24. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 18, 2011

This is the second year for my principal as he took over after the previous principal retired. It has been a huge change for the entire staff. For what I've heard, teachers enjoyed complete freedoom on almost every aspect and are very unhappy because this new principal is imposing more restrictions and is watching more closely what teachers do.

Of course, teachers did not react very well to this change but they can't understand that the type of freedom they enjoyed was very rare. I've worked at 3 different schools in the same district and I find this school to have more freedom than any other school that I've known or heard of.

It's becoming a little ridicously and tiresome to keep hearing many teachers complain about trivial things but I guess that if they were used to doing everything they wanted now they're having a hard time dealing with having rules.

25. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 19, 2011

The best principal I ever worked with was great because she had an outstanding VP. They had similar visions for the school, got along well and always put the students first.

The other principals I worked with...well one had a VP that was gunning for the P's job(so she would undermine him) and the other cannot keep a VP to save her life (she's a micromanager and has a hard time letting someone else be in control. we have had...get ready...THREE VP's in one school year. And rumor has it the current VP quit and isn't returning to our school next year)

My current P, is good, but because she hates to delegate, she is often overwhelmed and it makes her crabby and she'll have these days where I swear she's got horns and a tail and everyone is scared to cross her path. On those warpath days, we all pass the word down the hall to be on your toes incase she comes storming into your classroom

26. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 19, 2011

lol

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2011

I must be OCD. I want everyone to answer this post in the order in which you originally posted so that I can keep updates in order. And if you changed your name, go back to your original name. If you are not one of the original posters, then you should wait for two days and post in ABC order after everyone else who previously posted has had a chance to update.

And if you are a student, please hand me your paper with your name right side up and facing me so that I can read it. No, not that way. STOP. Come back here, you. What's your name? How would I know that? It's not on the paper which you handed to me upside down. Wait. Everyone stop giving me papers until I get to you. Don't get up. No. That's right. Lisa is the only one who did it correctly. Johnny where is your paper?

Sorry, folks. I'm going bonkers around here since there is so much to do and so little motivation to do it. My brain sees chaos and wants to order things, but my body says "Go see what's on A to Z."

28. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2011

Oh, and my principal is about 5 years old. Literally. But he's got a good heart and is very friendly. Seems efficient. A bit manic. Definitely ACDC, I mean ADHD. No problems since I know him now and understand where his point of view lays. We have lots in common, like a competitive drive. We both want to beat out all the other schools in the county. We both are a bit short with people who are idiots. We both speak our minds to each other.

29. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 19, 2011

I hate being lied to! She should lead by example!

30. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 19, 2011

For five years, I worked for a principal who truly inspired me to be the best teacher I could possibly be. If I could choose my top three role models in life, they'd be: my mom, my dad, and my former principal! She's one of the most amazing women I've ever met.

After being bumped and transferred to another school this year, I can honestly say that my principal is the complete opposite of my former principal. He is disorganized, lazy, and has no control of his teachers (there were a ton of quarrels amongst the teachers).

Whenever the head honchos came to my school to visit, he'd take them to the SAME five classrooms to observe (one of those classrooms happened to be mine). They thought we had wonderful teachers, but they have a skewed vision of what was happeneing at our site.

Thankfully, my VP is pretty strong and runs the school herself. It's quite sad that whenever we (the teachers) have a question or issue, we bypass our principal's office and head to our VP.

Anyway, I'm nervous about working under a different principal this coming school year since I'm going to middle school. Luckily, though, I've heard nothing but positive things about him.