New principal blues

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clynns, Aug 14, 2011.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Aug 14, 2011

I hope this doesn't come off rude but I'm just kinda looking advice. I've been teaching 6 years and have had the same principal who hired me. She has left and this year we have a new principal. She seems really nice but is totally different than the previous one. I find that I keep worrying about how things are going to change and be so different. It took me a good five years to really feel like I've figured most things out. I just don't know how to go about adjusting to someone new and all of her new ways. I guess I'm like my students... not good with change. Any advice on how I can adapt to the change the right way?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

The best advice I have is that you should just sit back and watch for a while. See how she interacts with others, listen to her expectations, that sort of thing.

At my school we have two deans (used to have three), three assistant principals, and one principal. That's six administrators if my math is correct. None of those administrators was there when I started at the school five years ago. In fact, in the five years that I've been there we've had...seven different deans, seven different assistant principals, and two different principals. We've had to adjust a lot. You just get used to it. Every administrator wants things done a little differently, and if you want to be successful, you can't be resistant to that. You just have to roll with it.

Good luck! Change can be a good thing! :)

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2011

Since I've done many leave replacements, I've worked for all types of principals! Keep an open mind, you may realize that change is good!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

Change is good. It gives an opportunity for growth.

The entire mood of your school will change this year. It may be palpable. You may be asked to do new things, or old things in new ways.

It's a paradigm shift, and that's a good thing. It leads to growth.

Sit back and enjoy.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 15, 2011

Principals come and go... They move on to bigger and better schools/positions. Our job is to support our students. The role of the principal is to support teachers, community, and students. MOST principals do a good job because they care about the future of the school. Take a deep breath and give your new P a chance. This might be the breath of fresh air that you have been waiting for and did not even know that you needed.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

I'm on my fifth principal and second superintendent since joining my district 12 years ago. Administrators move on. Move up. Retire. Trust that your new principal will support your faculty, staff and students.:love:

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

Change is always intimidating, but isn't always bad. Hopefully once the dust settles you'll be more comfortable with the idea. Best wishes.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

The nice thing about any changes that the new principal makes is that you'll be there from the beginning. You'll get the inservice, the training, etc.

I second sitting back and watching for awhile. Implement the changes that the new principal outlines but wait to react to any of them.

10. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 15, 2011

I agree with the previous posts about just sitting back and observe. I would also add that you do not let the opinions of others affect your perception which can then make you worry more than it's needed.

In my experience, there seems to be a few teachers who react to change in a negative way and affect the environment of the school. They may start blaming the new principal for everything that is bad if they are asked to change something.

11. clynns

clynns Companion

Aug 15, 2011

Thanks for all of the advice! Our school was in a bit of turmoil last year so I'm looking forward to things getting better. We just worry about changing what has worked for us.