NEW Preschool Teacher HELP

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sschap03, May 15, 2008.

1. sschap03

sschap03 Rookie

May 15, 2008

I just got my first job as a preschool teacher for an academy. It's great, it is education based. It starts in two weeks. I just started school to get an associates degree in elementary education and then will go on to my BA. I am very scared, Ive never been a teacher before. I am scared that I wont be able to teach lesson plans. Can you all help and give me some advice?:help:

Thank you.

3. yorkyfan

yorkyfan Rookie

May 16, 2008

4. rosew

rosew Companion

May 16, 2008

congratulations

Are you replacing a teacher or is this a new class..my advice would be to try to shadow a teacher in the school..if yours is a new class then maybe one of the other teachers..because you can learn everything there is from books, but experience is the best, and also I think it will make you a lot more comfortable when you do start..

what age group are you teaching

Rose

5. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 16, 2008

One thing great about teaching younger ones, if you do something wrong, like say the wrong letters, sing the wrong song etc. You can just laugh and say oops silly me. If you have a curriculum to follow, get the lesson plans now and start working on the first few weeks. Check with teachers and the administrator to see if there are specific things you need to cover, discipline proceedures etc. Find an experienced teacher there than can be your "mentor". Someone you can go to with any and all questions.

You need to establish discipline just like in any age group. Be tougher at first, then you an ease up if the class is doing well. Make your discipline simple and consistent. Some ideas I've seen besides the stoplight (red, yellow, green) is worms in their apples (so many worms means you take away a privilege etc.) Positive dicipline works well for younger ones. I could get my whole class of 24 (17 of which were boys my last year of teaching) 4-5 yr olds quiet and sitting in their seat properly within a count of 3. It takes lots of repetition and practice to start but so worth it in the long run.

Do you get an existing classroom? Do you have to start from scratch? The curriculum we used in the private school was very academic and I enjoyed adding more hands on learning to supplement our class time. Just be patient with yourself, expect to be exhausted for a few weeks! Also wash your hands alot, disinfect surfaces frequently and use hand sanitizer. You are not used to being around all those kiddy germs.

I'm so excited for you!! I'm hoping to be back in the classroom this fall...after a 10+ yr. hiatus.

6. sschap03

sschap03 Rookie

May 17, 2008

Thanks

I should be getting the 3 year olds. It is a brand new classroom as well as a new school. Its starting off with only three rooms (2,3,4). It is opened by two women who have been in the business a while. It is academic based. They are taking me next week to a kindergarten class who we will be doing the same routine as them< so that I can watch and see. My class room is jungle themed, the walls and the ceilings are done as a jungle with animals, there is a computer, tv books tables. I went to the book store today and got some learning flash cards to teach ABC, 123, animals, and opposites. They are traceable as well as touch and feel. I am very excited! I am in school to be an elementary school teacher. I will finish my first semester in four weeks. (only four more years to go). so this will be great practice for me. The school also goes all year round. I am trying to do a lot of research to help. thank you.:cool::thanks:

7. sschap03

sschap03 Rookie

May 17, 2008

Thank you

I get a brand new classroom in a brand new academy. I get the 3 year olds. My classroom is the jungle room. The walls and ceilings are all decorated that way, and the room has computers, tv's, posters...... I got some learning cards today, ABC,123, animals, and opposites. The two girls who are opening the academy (as of now only three classrooms, 2,3,4) are taking me to a kindergarten class who we will be doing the same simular routine they are next week to get a feel of it and watch how the kids are handled within the setting. I am also trying to do a lot of research on the computer. I am very excited because I just started school to become an elementary teacher. I will finish my first semester in only 4 weeks. (only four more years to go) so I think that this will be a great experience for me. Thanks for the advice. What is your favorite age group?

8. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 18, 2008

A new classroom in a new school how great is that? And the jungle theme will be so fun!! I found this great book at the library the other day its called "The Giant Encyclopedia of Circle time and Group Activities for children 3-6" Its almost 500 pgs thick! Lots of great ideas Do you get a budget? You can go crazy getting things for the room, start by seeing what the curriculum is, what is already provided, etc. Then add from there...the visit to the kindergarten room will be a big help.

My favorite younger group is the 4 to 5 yr olds. Thats where most of my experience is. And I taught in a very academic setting. I found I had to supplement to allow the kids some time to be "kids" and get the wiggles out! But wow....what they learned in the year I would have them was amazing. I loved seeing the "lightbulb" come on above their heads when they got the concepts.

Are you taking traditional college classes or distance learning? I'm in a distance learning program. Just finishing my first year. (but I transferred in several credits). One more term and I get into my actual teacher classes, can't wait!

9. sschap03

sschap03 Rookie

May 19, 2008

I am doing distant learning. I am at the university of phoenix. I had no college before this, I am four weeks into my second block, in five few weeks, I will have completed my first semester. I am very excited. :D Only a few short four years to go, or something like that.

I am looking forward to getting started in the teaching field. I like that I am going to have the experience. I will be in my classroom on wednesday and will see all that I have. The two girls who own this are great. They told me that if I need something just to let them know. I am going to go to the store today to price some planting things. I found a project on this site about growing flowers. I want to do it with them. They can decorate their pot and plant their flowers and water them and watch them grow, we will put one in the closet to help emphasize the importance of sun, water and responsibility.

well guess I better get going and go to the store.

What are some of your favorite activities that you did (do) with the kids?:reading:

10. rosew

rosew Companion

May 19, 2008

distance learning question

Hi..you guys that are doing distance learning are you earning a degree in early childhood or in elementary education..and if its elementary education is your plan to teach the higher grades..

thanks

rose

11. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 19, 2008

Rose-
    Elementary..K-6

12. PK teacher

PK teacher Rookie

May 19, 2008

"Online Degrees"

Hi,,, sschap,,, I was thinking about doing online college degree in Early Childhood education. How do they do it there at university of phoenix? Do they send you the course work and you take a test on the computer or what??

13. kdc_7276

kdc_7276 Rookie

May 23, 2008

You and I can go through this together!! I'm going to start being a preschool teacher in 3 weeks. I have never done this before either. But luckily, I will only be an assistant teacher, so I will have some help. I'll be in a 2 year old room. I can't wait!!

I'm currantly a programmer and parent of a 4, almost 5 year old boy and 4 month old daughter.

14. sschap03

sschap03 Rookie

May 25, 2008

You do everything on the computer, from all of your class work to all your classes. I have to say, that the people at the UOP are very nice and help you out all the way. they are in more contact with you than when you go to a onsite university. I like it, i am half way through my second block of classes. in four weeks i will have 12 college credits completed. its great. it works for me, because i get to go to work full time (i have no choice, i cant afford to work anything less) and work on my schooling around that. it is challenging and very self motivating, but rewarding.:2up:

15. sschap03

sschap03 Rookie

May 25, 2008

That's great. congrats. i am working with great women who own the preschool. they are here to help me in every way. i took a book home that they gave me to look over called creative curriculum. she said she got it when she was in school. it helped me. i have to evaluate all my 3 year olds and find out where they are so that i can begin a curriculum plan with them. so i made my assessment test the other day. i am still very nervous, but what gives the strength is that they interviewed many applicants, with and without schooling, with and without experience and they chose me. so that helps. i have to start my classes to get my certificates for childcare. do you have yours? i am going to do it online so i wont miss any work and can get it done asap. i want to get it done before my 90 days probation is done. i am not currently working, i quit my job on a whim, (bad boss, bad situation,) anyways, so even though i couldnt afford it i quit two weeks ago. when i quit almost a week later i got the call that they were hiring me to teach. i was so happy and it was worth it. now, i just hope that my husband can get a firefighters job, he finished the class a year ago, and this is a hard job to get into. he will do emt in august. i hope it will start to work for him as i am starting mine. you will have to keep us/me updated on your new position as well.. congrats again,.:up:

16. kdc_7276

kdc_7276 Rookie

May 28, 2008

I don't have my certificates for childcare. I have a BS in English/creative writing. I origionally wanted to teach HS when I went to college, but lost my nerve somewhere a long the way. I've always enjoyed working with younger kids, but I've never been one of those "crafty" type people, so I thought I wouldn't be a good elementary school teacher. I've learned through working with Sunday school and Vacation Bible School at my church that kids really don't care how good you are at crafts. LOL.

What school are you going through on-line? I want to get my certification for early childhood ed.

17. rosew

rosew Companion

May 29, 2008

bs in child developement(preschool)

Is that the same as a bachelors degree in early childhood..Im looking for a school that offers this..but the ones I found either offer an associate or masters.

any ideas