new preschool gym teacher needs ideas

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by huffandpuff, Jun 27, 2006.

1. huffandpuff

huffandpuff New Member

Jun 27, 2006

I am hoping someone can give me ideas to some more lesson plans and or music selections for a preschool gym class. Any good resources?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2006

I teach HS math, but I do have 3 kids, including a 3 year old. So here goes:

Well, my own kids have always loved "Freeze Dance" and "Animal Action." I forget who does them -- they're on the same CD. I found it a few years ago by googling the song titles.

Most kids have trouble peddling a trike up until 2 1/2 or even 3, so if you have access to some, it might be a good idea. Walking backwards, skipping, and hopping on one foot are also skills to work on.Also, to help them with balance, could you do some balance beam type stuff using one of the lines on the gym floor? Maybe try simple jumps and stuff, having them try to land back on the same line?

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 10, 2006

I just moved this to the Preschool forum - maybe you'll get more responses here. :) Sorry I didn't notice it sooner.

5. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jul 10, 2006

The hoop, ribbon and balls CD. I think you can get from Lakeshore or any of the teacher catalogs. Also, beanbag ones. I like to play musical hoops with my children. You lay out hoops in a circle and play it just like musical chairs only they step from one hoop to the other. Stress no running due to hoops slipping if they step on the edge. We have to teach our own PE and I am also looking for new ideas.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 10, 2006

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 10, 2006

Stick Horse
    What You Need:
    Wrapping Paper Tubes
    Cardboard
    Paint/Markers/Crayons
    Yarn
    What You Do:
    Ask your parents to donate some Christmas Paper Rolls (if you can not get enough use rolled up newspaper instead). Cut out horse's heads (leave a neck to go inside the tube) from cardboard and let your children design their horse. They can paint them and use yarn for the mane and halter. Help your children attach them with glue and tape. Now go out Ridin'! Stick horse races.... straight line.... weave in and out of poles.... Barrel race like in real rodeos. Do the cover leaf design. I don't remember what it is called race down pick up a bandana and race back... Another is when you race down and a second person gets on and rides with you back to the finish line.

Or go to the Dollar Store and buy stick horses. Maybe your school will buy them. Or join boxtops4education and save the stamps on boxes of General Miles cereal, Campbell's Soup labels, Green Giant and more. They will give you ten cents for every label.

Dance with ribbon streamers. Do dances like the chicken dance, Hokey Pokey, Bunny Hop, but don't line up, just go five hops forward and two backwards and stick the right foot out and etc.

8. lex

lex Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

Music and movement is always one of the favorite parts of the day! We dance with ribbons or scarves, pretend we are different animals, play follow the leader or have parades, marching with instruments. Using balls,bubbles or a parachute is fun too. The Freeze dance and Animal Action mentioned are on a Greg and Steve CD I think it's called Kids in Motion. They also have one called Beanbag Boogie that is very good. The kids love the Bear Hunt song (I think that is Jean and Friends).

9. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

My favorite thing to do with my preschoolers was called Funsical Fitness. They are CDs with "adventures" on them and the kids LOVE them. If you google "Funsical Fitness" it is the first thing that comes up. Each child getting a prop like a foam ball or scarf to dance with or throw and catch is always a hit, and you can do that to jumpy disney music or anything. They love obstacle courses, especially if there is a tube. Really the funsical fitness CDs can give you ideas for specific skills to work on too (walking backwards, balance, knowing where their bodies are).