New PreK teacher!!!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by SportsFanTr, Aug 6, 2006.

1. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Aug 6, 2006

Hello everyone!

I'm a new preschool teacher, I just accepted the offer today. I interviewed for the 3rd grade position, but they hired someone with more experience and offered me the PreK one.

I'm so excited! I've never worked with preschoolers before, I did most of my student teaching in first grade, and am actually certified K-6, not PreK. This is a private school though, so I'm still able to teach the youngins.

I start tomorrow, kids come back Friday, I'm very nervous. I've never taught kids this young before. Any words of wisdom or advice? Oh boy, but what a great new challenge. I cant wait, I'm going right now to find an outfit to wear tomorrow.

3. teecher

teecher New Member

Aug 6, 2006

Congratulations on your Pre-K position. I taught Pre-k for three years, and loved it. My suggestion would be to overplan your day. Remember that 4 year olds have a limited attention span, so circle time at the beginning of the year should be kept fairly short. You can lengthen it as the children mature. Make sure you have a classroom management plan in place the first day. Also, transitions from one activity to another are important. I found that using songs really helped with transitions. There are a lot of wonderful websites for pre-k teachers. Good luck, and have fun. This is such a wonderful age, they are excited about learning, and full of vim and vigor!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

Welcome to AtoZ, MrsHodge. Congratulations on your new job!! You will have so much fun.

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

Preschoolers rock and remember.. it is okay to get on the floor with these little guys!

6. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 7, 2006

mrshodge, congratulations on your new job! I think preschoolers are the best! They are, in general, very excited about everything, very loving, and best of all, not jaded like the older kids! And it is so exciting to see how eager they are to learn. Good luck!

7. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Aug 7, 2006

Thank you all for your kind words of wisdom. Today was my first day (inservice) and it went very well. There are about 30-40 students, divided up into 3 teachers. Much of our day will be spent together in common areas, but we will break up for reading/language arts & math instruction. Friday is the first day with students, so that will be my first "real" day :D yippee!!!