New Prek 3s teacher! Nervous! Scared! - warning: Long!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by mom2girl0309, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mom2girl0309

mom2girl0309 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

In a week I'll be starting my first, EVER, teaching job! I'll be teaching 3s at a Lutheran school. it's a half day program, the kids are there 8-11. There's no set curriculum, the other 3s teacher who's been there 15 years gave me a guide of what she does in the classroom and her schedule, I'll follow some of it but I'd like to make my room "mine" in some ways also. She also gave me a copy of her classroom "handbook" that she gives to the parents. I have no idea if there is anything in my classroom from last years teacher in that room and I'm wondering if I should scan her handbook and make a copy of my own to print and give to the parents? I really haven't gotten much information at this point and know I am going to have to much to do next week, not to mention the parents coming in the evening of our very first day there!

As I said this is my first ever job, I went to college out of high school for two years but then went on the 19 year plan to graduate When I graduated with my ECE degree in 2009 at the ripe old age of 37 I had a 5 year old daughter and a one month old (yes, i was pregnant my entire last year of college!)

So needless to say I'm nervous, scared and excited all rolled up. I have no idea what to expect. I've seen my classroom twice but have not been able to look through and see what's there and what I need. My classroom is used as part of the school's summer camp so I haven't been able to go in there. When I start next Monday that will be my first opportunity to see what's there. For some crazy reason the school has the parents coming in that night, the very first day the teachers have been there, to meet and greet. There's also a meet the teacher night for the kids and parent a week later, but I'll be ready by then!!

I'll have two assistants, who are also new to the school which I am pretty happy about because I won't be following in someone's footsteps for them and we can establish our own relationship from the beginning. The school also pays for all (within reason) of our supplies but again I won't know what I need til next Monday and then am worried that stuff won't be there by the first day on the 23rd.

Right now I am trying to figure out how I'll handle transitions, circle time, morning time (arrival). I plan to have tabletop acitivites out as the kids come in the morning to do while everyone is arriving and getting settled. So far I have a few felt boards (1,2,3s - pirates - dinosaurs), puzzles and that's it. I'd like to do some sort of aquadoodle or color wonders thing as well. Any suggestions for easy, not too messy table top activities would be great!

Also, I am trying to decide on an attendance idea. Do I do a "Who's here today?" type of pocket chart? Or I also thought of changing shapes each month that goes with our theme (apples for Sept, pumpkins for October, turkeys for November and so on) with their names and have a designated spot for them. Lastly, do I do a "treasure box" sort of reward thing (whole class)?

As you can see I'm a bit overwhelmed!! My oldest went to private preschool for 3 years and I'm trying to draw from some of that. Any advice/suggestions you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to be a worksheet teacher. I don't think that is a good idea for any age level but especially not this young! I want the kids, and the adults, to have fun. From watching my own kids I've learned that they learn more when they are enjoying themselves and don't even realize they are learning! My youngest is just 2 and can count to 11 and recognize most of her colors and some letters.

If you lived through reading all of this thank you!!! :wub:

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 10, 2011

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of preschool! :)

Yes, it's OK to use a similar packet to the other teacher. Particularly because you're in the same school, probably there are procedural-type things that are the same throughout the school. Not sure what's in the handbook, but it's definitely OK to use much of the same stuff.

You asked about table work. For my kids, I do "table work" when they come in in the morning (While I'm doing attendance, checking notes from home, etc). I rotate what I have out, but typically have things like playdough (I prefer the home-made stuff), Legos or other building toys, paper to tear or cut (especially if we need it for a project later on), or blank paper to draw on. I know several people on here use playdough on the first day because the kids can do it pretty independently and it's not always something parents have out for them to play with at home.

When I've done an attendance chart, I've combined your ideas...shapes with names, they varied each month. They needed to take their card off the counter and place it in the pocket chart. Picture also at first, for some kids. As my kids got better at recognizing their first names, I've added last names... and by the end of the year, many of my kids needed ONLY their last name. I also varied the difficulty by either having all the children whose names start with the same letter on the same color shape... or varying the colors to making it easier.

I've had some groups very motivated by treasure boxes... my group last year just wanted stickers. They would do almost anything for a sticker.

How many kids will you have? What kind of curriculum will you use? Does the school have expectations for home much time you spend doing particular things? Those will help you plan out your schedule ;)

4. mom2girl0309

mom2girl0309 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

I have no idea how many kids I'll have. I'll have at most 25 at a time I believe. There are some that will come M-F, some just T/R and some just M/W/F. So I'm still going back and forth about will I assign seats, how will I do centers (free choice, limit numbers but allow free choice, etc). I also haven't given any thought to how I'll "deal" with two assistants. I'm hoping to sit down with them on the first day and discuss what they see their roles as and what they would like to be doing in the classroom. I'll also discuss with them my plans for transitions, classroom management, etc so they are on the same page (or at least know what to expect)

There is no set curriculum though the other 3s teacher does order a bible time program so I guess I'll probably go with that since the handbook is set up with them getting a bible time handout each week and I have nothing planned for that :dizzy:

I really feel as if I'm going in blindly but I'm sure I'll figure stuff out next week. I have seven days to get ready before the kids come, though two of those days will be meet the teacher/parent nights. I have so many ideas and questions running around in my head I was up at 4 this morning! Ugh!!

I also want to put an apple tree on my door that says "Welcome" and the kids names on each apple - any ideas for a cute saying?

5. pjones858

pjones858 Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

Being nervous is a good sign -- it shows you care. After 29 years of doing this, I still feel overwhelmed and nervous at the beginning of each year, if that helps.

Welcome to the profession! I just know you are going to have a great year.

Pat