New Pre-K teacher, first week of school?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MissT2017, Jun 27, 2017.

1. MissT2017

MissT2017 Guest

Jun 27, 2017

Hi everyone,
    I will be teaching Pre-K this fall, this is my first year having my own classroom. (I subbed while I was going through my alternative certification program). I am very overwhelmed! I keep hearing that in the first week or two I should only focus on routine and getting the children use to the classroom. Does anyone have any ideas or advice on some things I could do and go over in the first week or two of school?

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 27, 2017

I really just focus on routines, procedures, and social skills for the first month (longer if needed). For the first 2 weeks, I only open a few centers (usually blocks, dramatic play, library, and art). Each centers has a small selection of toys. I introduce a center each day at large group. We talk about rules for that center and demonstrate how to play with and clean up the materials.

Once they can play with those centers well, I open a new one up each day, again introducing it during large group. Usually by the end of the first 2 weeks, most centers are open.

Some of the routine procedures we practice daily are:
    -rules for large group (how to sit, what good listening looks like, how to raise hands, etc.)
    -classrooom rules
    -how to wash hands
    -how to stand in line
    -bathroom rules
    -social skills (we do a social skill lesson each Monday and then practice that skill all week)
    -playground rules
    -how to clean up
    -how to transition between activities
    -quiet signal (we practice "freezing" when I ring a bell for times that I need everyone's attention)
    -how to use scissors, glue, paint, and play dough (I introduce all of these during small group and every student has to tell me the scissor rules and demonstrate safety before I put them permanently on the art shelf)

That's all I can think of for now :) I always tell new teachers to not focus on "themes", art projects, or academic skills the first few weeks. Your students will learn so much more if you take the time to introduce things slowly.

Congrats on your new position!

ChildWhisperer and melnm like this.
  4. hmcd19

hmcd19 Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

We spend the first month teaching and reinforcing routine and rules. We have all centers open every single day. Our schedule runs like this:
    Arrival
    Story
    Breakfast
    Bathroom/toothbrushing
    Morning meeting (we show them how to play with a toy at each center, or how to paint etc)
    Centers
    Recess
    Songs, word, play letters circle (rhyming songs, poems letter id etc)
    Lunch
    Small group activity (usually a science or literacy activity)
    Home
    We are in session 3.5 hours a day. We stay true to the routine every single day and keep everything moving right along. So set a schedule and stick to it. We built our schedule around recess and lunch time. My first year we changed the routine several times to find the right fit and it was difficult. This past year was much better. Stick by your rules and always follow through on anything you tell them.

We have 6 units we complete (family, friends, wind and water etc) we do not start until a month into school when they are used to the routine etc.

I agree with the poster above. Set out simple things like
    -pretend center- food- how to use a knife and fork etc
    -art- playdough, how to roll and cut
    -writing- paper pencils how to write name or find letters on alphabet chart
    -water table-bubbles
    -library- books about school
    -blocks- teach them how to play quietly, no knocking towers etc
    -puzzle/science table-simple puzzles, simple letter puzzles
    -easel- how to out on smock, hang it up, how to hang paper on easel, use a little paint etc