New PowerTeaching Video!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Terrence, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2008

Wow, Thanks! I'm definitely a Biffle-ite!

4. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Thanks for posting this! I'm definitely using Power Teaching strategies this upcoming school year. I'm so glad that I've found out about it!

5. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jul 7, 2008

Thanks! I'm glad there is another video. I LOVE seeing Power Teaching in action! :up: I can't get enough. I'm just soaking it in until I can get a class of my own. As a side note: Those seats in the front of the class are cool. Does anyone else have something like that? What a great idea.

6. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 7, 2008

Thanks so much!! :)

I agree about the seats...they caught my eye right away! What a great "reward" spot, too! The ones on the left looked like car seats...do you think that is what they are? Would they have to be anchored in some way? I thought they were cool, too! :)

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

The only thing I am still not sold on is how much movement he uses. I think that some students would get distracted with that much hand movements. I think that some helps kids pay attention but the teacher seemed like he was doing a lot!

8. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I think the visual and the kinesthetic reinforces the learning, but as a teacher I don't think I could come up with the hand movements and remember them. I haven't tried so I don't know.

Yeah, those seats are something I am definitely going to look into!

9. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Thanks!:D

I wonder how confusing it would be for Kindergarten. I think I am going to try to adapt some of the strategies for my class.

10. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

There are a few videos with kindies/1st graders.
    Here's one:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=yygIwC3PSvk

11. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I think those seats are from a school bus maybe.

12. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Wow! What an engaging classroom! The connections the kids made were phenomenal. I saw freshmen this past year struggle with concepts of area v. perimeter!

I love the hand movements. My first hesitation would be working with a student I had this past year who was blind. It would be a challenge for a teacher first using these techniques with a student who could not fully participate. How much would you adapt and change? How would that affect the partner? (These questions are, of course, rhetorical at this point, but just a note.)

I look forward to implementing some of these strategies in my 9th and 10th grade English classes--there are just so many options!

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 8, 2008

I'm sure he started small with the hand gestures at the beginning of the year and kept slowly adding them until the kids got comfortable. I'm also betting he didn't start out with a huge arsenal of gestures himself; he probably had to keep thinking of new ones and adding them slowly over time. I would be a real mess if I had to come up with bunch of gestures to use and teach them right away. He probably used the same gestures when he taught he concepts in math class, literature class, etc.

The only part that would hold me back is the noise level. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but my fellow teachers around me would be pretty miffed.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2008

ChangeAgent - long time no see! I have seen Chris Biffle's Power Teaching methods used in COLLEGE classes, so high school should work, too. If you can get the kids past their initial embarrassment (gotta love those hormones!), it should work great!

15. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

The hand movements are easier to come up with than you would think. Remember that they do not need to be complicated. You can really use simple gestures for most thing you do.

As you do more and get used to using them you will find them easier to do. You will also find that, just as the gestures help the kids learn, as you do them you will remember the gestures better as well.

I remember concepts I taught with the gestures months after I did them in detail.

To address a concern from another poster- I was also concerned at first that the gestures might distract some kids, but I found that those very kids are the ones that the gestures can provide an anchor for, and provides kinesthetic learning and memory anchors, which is what those kids really needed to learn the concepts best in the first place.

My advice is to just try the gestures out. Don't prejudge the effectiveness until you see them in action.

16. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Oh, yeah, remember that the noise level is controllable.

Read this post on my blog to get an idea on how to do that.

17. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

With older learners one of the first things I do is explain why we are doing the Power Teaching methods. That usually makes them feel like they are "in the know", and they buy into it really well.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 9, 2008

I actually dreamt power teaching last night! I was trying to introduce it to my kids and they were being real pains about the whole thing. I don't know if it was me or them, but I woke up frustrated and kind of spooked by the whole incident. BTW What is dextracredit?