New placement in the fall

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Special K, May 4, 2010.

1. Special K

Special K New Member

May 4, 2010

HELP!!! I just found out today that I will be the new severe/profound teacher for grades k-6. I have taught resource for 3 years. This year I did a dual position with resource and being a behavior interventionist. I went into special education wanting to work with severe/profound children, but now I am second guessing myself. I don't even know where to begin in the fall? I know I have my work cut out for me this summer because I want to do things differently than how they have been the last five years. Any ideas to help with this overwhelming feeling would be much appreciated!

3. JustJim

JustJim Companion

May 4, 2010

Special K-
    a lot will depend on where you are located in the state, resources vary but they are available. My original plan was to do K-6 severe/profound, ideally in central or western Nebraska, so I've got some information collected. I'm still in the eastern part of the state and at least somewhat familiar with what's available here. PM me if I can help.

As for where to begin . . . look at the kids (and their IEPs/IFSPs) you know you'll be working with. You will definitely want to factor this in to your planning. Plan for the kids you'll have, be aware of potential needs from kids new to the schools. Look at the resources you have, what you can get or improvise, and go from there.

Good luck, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

4. Special K

Special K New Member

May 6, 2010

I am located in western Nebraska so please share that information with me. I have spent some time in the severe/profound room because it is located in my current building. I know all the kids and as of right now will only have one new student in the fall which I observed today. I have a good feel for the kids I am just nervous about those first year glitches.

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 7, 2010

Hey - this is horrible but my absolute first thought was, "How do you decorate age-appropriately when you have 5 different ages in one room!" Teaching the vast age-ranges in whole group would be difficult too. So the whole day would have to be center-based. Since you know all the kids and where they're at, I would divide them up into cognitive levels, and begin the year teaching them how to do centers independently (and teach your aide how to monitor those activities). So I would do calendar, then centers, then lunch, then maybe small groups in the afternoon that pertain to life skills.

I'm trying to think of how much whole-group you could do with that kind of population. I'm thinking they would require a lot of one-on-one.

I'm interested to know what you think about it after you start though. I always wanted sev/prof and ended up in the moderate range of life skills at a gen ed school. Good luck! :)

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

May 7, 2010

I have students who range in age from grade 3 through 12 this year. Some years it has been k through 12. You're right Zoom - there is very little you can do with the whole group. I find that when we do group things we split them in to an older and younger group to ensure age appropriate materials. I have tried splitting them by cognitive level but the age appropriate stuff is harder to address then.

7. JustJim

JustJim Companion

May 7, 2010

PM sent.
    Jim

8. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 8, 2010

:eek: DANG!! Now I'm not a stickler for rules or anything but as a parent, that would make me kind of mad if my son was in a classroom with tiny guys and huge guys! What's going on with that??? How many students in a classroom? That's just crazy. My district isn't the best when it comes to special ed, but at my son's school, they still keep it to three age-levels per classroom. Right now he's in an intermediate life skills classroom where the ages range from about 10-12. (And this is a mod/sev environment.) I cannot imagine having a classroom with 5 year olds and 17 year olds. Crazy... :dizzy:

9. bros

bros Phenom

May 8, 2010

That poster is in Canada, which has rather different special education laws. I believe in the US, most states have the restriction of no more than 58 months between the oldest and the youngest student (Or something like that).

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 8, 2010

When I taught in TX, I was in a K-5 classroom (self-contained life skills moderate/severe).

Now, in NJ, they have a law of 36 month age range from PK-5, and 48 month age range from 6-12 grades.

Special K - I taught mod/severe in TX, but my classroom was next door to the severe/profound room. The severe/profound teacher was out on FMLA for several months during my last year and I was running both classrooms (don't ask how).

I loooooved the severe/profound classroom. They actually were getting rid of mod/severe (moving the more severe to severe/profound and moving the more moderate to resource) - and they asked if I would teach the severe/prof. classroom. I would have done it in a heartbeat! It is such a fun classroom environment. The most important thing is classroom management (including the management of your aides, which will be your lifelines.)

I currently teach in an autism classroom and the kids range from moderate to profound. This is also a very fun setting for me.

Good luck to you - enjoy!

11. bros

bros Phenom

May 8, 2010

Ahhh, that is what I was thinking of. 48 months. I knew that sounded more right :p

12. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 9, 2010

I should brush up on my special ed law.

13. bros

bros Phenom

May 9, 2010

Trudging through IDEA is fun.

Wrightslaw is a good site to use to get what you need without most of the legalese - http://wrightslaw.com/

14. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 10, 2010

Thanks bros.