new pay scale?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by msj, Jan 9, 2008.

1. msj

msj Companion

Jan 9, 2008

Hi, I have a bit of a problem. I teach a short (2.5 hr) preschool class. The place where I work also has an all day day care/ preschool class for children of the same age and has before and after school care for older children. They have two basic positions, lead teachers and assistants. They have fairly high standards for their lead teachers and have had a VERY hard time finding people to work that qualify for what they pay. I am a lead teacher with all the qualifications. I just saw an ad in the paper two days ago for lead teachers at my center (which is getting to be the norm), but the starting rate of pay was stated as $3-$5 an hour more than I make doing the same job. When I started about a year ago, the rate of pay was one set amount for the lead teaching position which is what I'm paid (plus a raise I received on 1/1/08, still $3-$5 less than the ad). I don't know if I should go to my director and ask to be paid according to the new scale or not? What's the norm for this?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2008

I don't know about standard practices at preschools, but I would talk with the director about a pay increase. You have all the qualifications and are experienced in that particular center. There's no reason why you shouldn't be making at least as much as a new hire.

4. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Jan 9, 2008

It sounds like you are due for a yearly raise anyway.

5. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jan 9, 2008

You should be on the same pay scale, definitely. Ask for the raise. Calmly.

Good luck!

6. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 9, 2008

Take the ad to your director and ask her when you will be paid the new rate. That is why you shouldn't post payscale in the paper!

7. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Jan 10, 2008

I agree, take the ad in to your director. IMO, you should be making MORE than new hires.

8. msj

msj Companion

Feb 20, 2008

Just an update...I went to the my direct superior about the ad. She told me she would take care of it. A week later she said she talked to the "head guy" and he said he would have to think about it. A week after that, my boss said the "head guy" said he was still thinking about it. A few weeks later, my boss said that she thinks he will be "thinking about it" for the rest of the school year because she doesn't think its in my programs budget to give me the raise. It has now been 6 weeks! I sent my boss an email today stating that I needed a definite answer by the end of the month and that all I expected is to be paid fairly as compared to what they are paying new hires. I just can't believe this! I work for a large, national organization that says they put their employees first. After 6 weeks, this is just unbelievable to me. And I'm kinda' stuck, at least until the end of May. I just couldn't bring myself to quit and leave my students in teacher limbo.

9. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Feb 20, 2008

Leaving your students in limbo is not good for the children or for you as a person... A new employer may think you would leave them mid stream - so I think that is a good decision. But, if it helps any, our school pays about $11.50 an hour to a person with a BA in Elementary Education, $11 an hour to someone with just a BA in anything, about $10.50 to someone with a CDA and about $10 to everyone else. Assistants make about $9.50.

10. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Feb 20, 2008

MSJ, that's B.S. I understand that you don't want to leave them in mid-year (good for you), but go ahead and start looking for next year!

PreKPreppie, our pay scale at the lower end is similar to yours, but the higher end is much, much higher.

Part-time asst. teachers make about $9.50-11 / hour, depending on if they have a degree, experience, etc.

On the upper end, we have Lead Teachers with Master's degrees making almost $40,000 / year.

Everyone is on the same pay scale. There is a minimum starting point, and then the raises each year take you above that. Nobody coming in would be making more than someone already here, unless they were coming into a higher-level position with more experience and education. Although we don't have "steps," it's a lot like a public pay scale, I think.

11. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Feb 25, 2008

They are not going to give you a raise and are just taking advantage of you. Start looking for another job. You can always give another explanation in a job interview as to why you are leaving. Don't talk negative about the current place in your interview.

12. always_learning

always_learning Rookie

Feb 25, 2008

I would say offer your resignation and a new application for the job they are hiring. :D I would definitely begin looking for a new position if they aren't going to adjust your pay. That is just not right. :hugs:

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 25, 2008

They are not going to raise your salary. Why should they? You are working for less already?

They can't GET anyone else to work for what you are working for..so they are offering more...

WAKE UP!

You talk about not wanting to leave the kids in limbo. They are the ones who are making that problem, by not paying you what you are worth.

Unless there is some history of paying part-time teachers less than full-time (on an hourly rate) you are being taken advantage of, and worse yet, you are allowing them to take advantage of you.

Start looking TODAY.