New Orleans Tour/Restaurant Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ~mrs.m~, Jul 11, 2015.

1. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jul 11, 2015

I have received some good info from others, but am wondering if any of you have specific tours and/or restaurants to recommend in New Orleans. We are interested in a city tour, a plantation tour, and possibly a river boat cruise that offers optional dinner. Any of your experiences would help guide us. Thanks!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 12, 2015

I've never done any of those things because I visit so frequently I know my way around, and I'm usually visiting family, or making a quick trip for a football game. But I have to recommend the WWII Museum, and the aquarium. I'd usually recommend the zoo, but it's going to be so hot the animals don't come out much this time of year. The aquarium is great for a hot afternoon! The WWII Museum is top notch! My other advice is to not be afraid to wander out of the tourist areas. Some of the up and coming neighborhoods have some really great places to eat. Dooky Chase's is the President's favorite in New Orleans. Another favorite is Parkway Bakery and Tavern. In New Orleans, you can't go wrong eating out as long as you avoid the chain and tourist trap places. You will get delicious meals from hole-in-the-wall places.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 12, 2015

I don't know if they have them there, but we love free tours by foot. They work for tips only, so you pay what you think the tours are worth. We just did three in Boston and they were all amazing!! We've done discover walks (same theory) in Paris.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2015

We went to the zoo last week and so much of it is under construction that there are many of the animals that you cannot visit. The sea lions and the elephants were not open at all. If you have kids the "wet zoo" is great. It is a huge splashpad! Jackson Square, the museums and St. Louis Cathedral are great to visit. Mother's Restaurant is great. Get Italian Muffuletta's at Central Grocery and head to City Park for a picnic. We have done the Ghost tour at night and it was pretty good. Emeril Legasse's restaurant is also good. Galitoire's is another great restaurant.