New Orleans public schools are now all chater schools

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms_C, May 29, 2014.

1. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

May 29, 2014

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 29, 2014

I don't want to go into this too much. I'll just say that I am incredibly saddened for the children of New Orleans.

4. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 29, 2014

This is just one of the problems I have with charters. They say that they are giving the parents choice, but depend on a lottery system to place students. Shouldn't parents be able to choose the school they want until it is filled? Also, what happens if students are placed at schools and their parents done have the transportation to get them there? Another thing, when did we go from providing a choice using charters to eliminating the compitition with only charters and no public schools?

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 29, 2014

I work at a public charter and it's only called a "charter school" because we have a theme and an extra source of funding (yet, we're still broke). My school is still run by the city's public school district and I see NO differences between public charter schools and the regular public schools in my district especially for the students (although there are difference for the teachers). Thus, I do not get this fear of the public charter schools since I don't see them as a threat or that much of an alternative.

Baltimore City is a choice district so kids get to apply for any school they want (by submitting a top five list) and they are placed depending on either their academics or a lottery system (this difference depends on if the school has an academic "requirement.") My school is a lottery school but we still have to take anyone that registers if our number are not filled. Furthermore, it is impossible to get rid of a student unless they attack an adult, like at all schools in my district. Thus, our students are no better than those at the other non-charters.

As far as transportation, all of the kids in my district are eligible for a free monthly MTA buss pass so they can get to any school in the city. Overall, most parents choose to send their ELEM kids to schools within walking distance but our MS/HS come from all over the city.

6. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 29, 2014

It doesnt work that way everywhere. The problem that I have is that the charters are run by coorperations. Thay say that the ones here fall under the umbrella of the district but that's not entirely true. They don't have to use the adopted series with fedelity. They can and do encourage kids out after the first 20 days of school (when school populations are finalized). We've lost teachers due to low enrollment only to have overcrowded classes a few weeks later.

Are ther good charters yes. Should all traditional school close to make room for more no. So glad you like the system in Baltimore. Just understand, that not how it is in all places.

Also the article stated that they were relying on a lottery system to place kids, didn't mention a choice for parents.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 29, 2014

When Charters first opened up, I thought it might end up good. It has been mostly a nightmare. While some charter schools are good, the lack of accountability and funds have left the average charter school doing much worse than public schools.

I think New Orleans might realize this in 5-10 years. It is a shame so many students will be hurt by the process.

I am not completely opposed to charter schools, but I do think if you are going to replace one type of school, you should make sure what you replace it is better. Charter schools are more than 1/2 the time not better.

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 30, 2014

This isn't a charter, but a magnet. By definition a "charter" has a charter with a private entity that runs the school separate from the district.

9. bros

bros Phenom

May 30, 2014

That's what I was going to say.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 30, 2014

No, it is a charter. The district calls it a charter, we have a charter and a private foundation that funds us and makes certain decisions about our school. But, our school is still managed by Baltimore City PS.

The problem here is that people do not realize the difference between public and private charter schools. Private charters are independent of the local school district, but that idoes not appear to be the case in New Orleans. This looks to be a district of public charter schools.

11. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 30, 2014

That's interesting Go Blue - Things are certainly changing!

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 6, 2014

13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 6, 2014

I think it's because so much of the public associates the word "charter school" with "better school" that public schools are now simply rebranding themselves as charters. It's obvious from this thread that it's causing a lot of confusion about what a charter school even is.

14. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2014

Kindercowgirl the financial methods (embezzlement is what I would call it) is interesting too. It reminds me of one of the charters in the area I live, but on a much larger scale.