New Movie: Ramona & Beezus

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 6, 2010

I read quite a few of this series of Beverly Cleary books when I was younger, which I loved. They're finally making a movie out of it. It starts July 23rd. Do kids still read these like they used to? I never hear anyone talking about them.

Speaking of this, I'm surprised they haven't made a movie out of those Sweet Valley High books. I know they made a TV show from it because I was an extra in their pilot episode! :D

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 6, 2010

I always really liked those books.

I have a few of them in my classroom collection, and some of my kids read them. They're a little young for most of my kids, but they're a fun read. I read some of them again a few years ago. (I always read when my kids read.)

4. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 7, 2010

They are great books, and our 2nd-5th graders are still reading them. :) I am hoping that the movie will be good, but my favorite will always be the series that ran on PBS. The girl who played Ramona was outstanding...wish they would run those again for a new generation. :)

Ms.I, you were an extra for the Sweet Valley High series! Wow! I remember watching those with my kids, also. How did you get chosen for that...how exciting!! :)

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 7, 2010

I usually like the book better than the movie. I know it is easier to be lazy and just watch the story, but the movie usually doesn't compare.

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

This was the first year my third graders got into Ramona. I begged and begged my first two years. This year, a few of my girls read Ramona Quimby Age 8 for a reading partnership and then my girls couldn't get enough Ramona!

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 7, 2010

I loved the Romona series and I don't think I can look at a different Romona the same way. I do think this movie will be good for the new generation

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2010

My own kids LOVE the Ramona books, but then again, I'm a teacher, so I steer them toward better literature. THey cannot wait to see the movie...and I'm right there with them on that!

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

When I taught 4th grade, I used those PBS episodes once in a while as a reward. I loved the mystery meat and squeaky shoes episodes. I hope this gets kids into the books again.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2010

I think I read Ramona Forever at least 30 times.

I gave some to my little sister though and she hasn't gotten into them. I think she kind of skipped them, really, because she has already read all the Harry Potters and is now on to Percy Jackson. But I am taking her to see Selena Gomez in concert this summer so maybe she will want to see the movie with me, too.

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

I read some to my kids, which got all my girls hooked. We couldn't keep them on the shelves in the classroom or school library! I had to buy more copies...

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 7, 2010

I love Ramona books and plan to read some to my class this next year! I am so excited they made a movie out of it. Hopefully it's good.

I had heard about the SVH TV show but I never caught it = (

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2010

I was an undergrad in college if I recall & had signed up w/ this local co. to be an extra in shows & films. I had to go to Valencia, CA (city where Magac Mtn is) to a school campus where they filmed the show. The actors were so close, you could touch them. It was fun, but a LOT of waiting around, filming, & waiting around again.

I was also an extra in the film Slackers w/ Devon Sawa, Jaime King & that girl from That 70s Show.

I got called quite a bit to be in Power Rangers too, but never did that.

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

MsI-I just came across an article that they are making a Sweet Valley High movie. Seems funny since the series was popular in the 80's but it seems like it's a go! It is being written by the author of Juno and Jennifer's Body. I loved, loved, loved this series and even read it a few years ago when my sister found an old set on eBay.

15. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 8, 2010

I am glad to hear they are making Sweet Valley High movie again...maybe my 5th grader girls will rediscover the series and start reading those books again. :)

MsI.....that is so exciting that you had all those movie contacts! How cool! :)

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 8, 2010

Kat53, interesting!

Love to Teach, yes it was a fun experience! :)

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2010

I, too, read the Ramona books. I saw the commercial for the first time last nite. I told hubby I'm sure I read that when I was younger!!! LOL!!!

18. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2010

I usually do a Ramona book each year as a read aloud and it gets some of the kids hooked. I read 3 this year because they loved it so much.

I finally saw the preview for the movie though and a lot of the scenes didn't look familiar... of course they do that!

19. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2010

I teach special ed. Do you think my middle school and high school kids would like this? They like younger-ish books like Because of Winn Dixie, because they are behind in maturity but is this too young?

20. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

I think you could use it with your older kids. Beezus is the older sister and you could emphasize the role of the older sister with such a silly sister.

21. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

I'm looking forward to seeing the Ramona and Beezus movie, however I don't think it will be nearly as good as the original series. I loved Sarah Polley as Ramona (probably because when I was that age I loved Road to Avonlea which Sarah Polley also played in.) Ramona was a GREAT show. I loved the episode where she cracked the egg on her head.

22. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 9, 2010

I loved the books and the "Ramona" tv show that had Sarah Polley as Ramona back in the 80's. I plan on reading Beezus and Ramona aloud this year and hopefully by Christmas the dvd will be out( we always watch a dvd for our holiday party) so we can compare the two.

23. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 9, 2010

I am glad someone else loved the show! I was a Avonlea fan too, I also loved Anne of Green Gables...too bad kids dont have shows like these today.

24. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

Road to Avonlea...is that the same as just Avonlea? Avonlea was my favorite...couldn't wait to watch it and watched each episode over and over. I was so sad when it wasn't on anymore. I, too, love the Anne of Green Gables series, both the books and the movie set. The Ramona series with Sarah Polley was the best, too...what part did she play in the Avonlea series? :)

Oh, I did a search on Amazon for The Ramona Series, but all they had were used copies from other sellers. :( Maybe, the new movie will generate enough interest to bring it back for sale...I hope. :)

25. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

My 5th graders really like the Ramona books, and Winn Dixie is a favorite, as well. I would think that they would, too. Our High School SpEd teacher borrowed my copies of Ramona Forever to use. On a large scale, it is about changes..Ramona's aunt's romance with Howie's uncle and their marriage, Picky-Picky, the family cat's death, a new baby in the family. These might lead to meaningful discussions for your kids. :)

Two other Beverly Cleary books, Dear Mr. Henshaw and its sequel, Stider, are great books also about changes, friendships, and having the right attitude. The main character, a boy deals with coming to terms with his parents' divorce, changing schools, and making new friends. It also lends itself very well to journal writing. :)

26. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

Road to Avonlea was the original title, but it got shortened to just "Avonlea" I think....at least I know that my old episodes were titled Road to Avonlea, and the newer ones just say Avonlea. Sarah Polley played Sara Stanley.

Glad to see there are other Avonlea fans on here! Avonlea was my all-time favorite show as a kid. Felicity and Gus were my favorite characters.