New Montessori Teacher

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by ggcoffeex3, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ggcoffeex3

ggcoffeex3 New Member

Jul 12, 2012

I got my first full-time teaching job this fall! I am certified in Elementary and have a Literacy K-8 endorsement. I got hired to teach at a private Montessori preschool and am currently going through my Montessori training right now! I had no Montessori background and a few experiences with preschool but I student taught in 1st and 4th grades and never thought I'd end up in Pre-K or Montessori!

However, I am REALLY excited for my new job! I wondered if anyone out there also teaches ages 3-6 in a Montessori environment and if you had any advice on setting up my classroom, starting the school year off right, etc.

Is there anyone who went from a traditional classroom to Montessori? How did you adjust?

Is there anything else you bring into your classroom with regards to reading or writing that is more like something in public school settings today or something that isn't necessarily in a Montessori handbook? Do you do anything like focusing on a particular letter's sound each week during circle time while students may be tracing sandpaper letters during a work period? Do you only work with letters and sounds one-on-one with students or in circle times as well?

Do you have classroom plants or pets? Anything else in particular you would advise me to consider about the environment?

Thank you so much for any helpful advice!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

I'm not in a Montessori, but I just wanted to say congrats!

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

Congrats!

I can answer some of your questions because I'm now on my last leg of Montessori Training.

1. I did have a classroom pet.. A beta fish. I'm a newbie with caring for pets so I started off nice and easy. Some other pets I have known for classroom teachers to have are the frogs that live in water, snails, hamsters or gerbils. A private Montessori school I worked at also had a pet rabbit, but he was a LOT of work! The kids loved him though.

2. Setting up your classroom. This is major and its going to vary a bit. One thing is for sure that your Practical Life area of the classroom will remain on the tiled area of the floor because there are many water works that require it to be close to a water source as well as easy clean up for spills. You may also choose to have science on the tiled area of the floor if you have experiments and water work in that area as well.

I like to have the carpeted area of the classroom really open and spacious. This is needed so for the students who are working on rugs on the carpeted area have space to completed the many works in the classroom. This is also the area where you have morning meeting and group time. Shelves I normally group where they allow a large open space on the carpeted area.

Many of the tables I situate around the room to allow the students to either work quietly in partners or have a quiet working space alone. You will find that your room will change around many times until you find something that really works the best for you... my first year I moved my room at least 8 or more times... my second year I moved at least 8 and my third year I'm sure will be about the same, lol.

The key to starting the year off right is establishing Grace and Courtesy. This is the order and the routines that you are going to establish. How the children carry rugs, interrupt politely, carry trays of work, how to walk a line, how to sit in group, how to move a chair... during training you will learn all about this in practical life- Grace and Courtesy. This is crucial for any new students you have and you will find that the returning students or the 5 and 6 year olds will be able to help you with this greatly.

I have lots of classroom plants! I'm still working on finding an indoor tree that I would love to have. When I came to the school 3 years ago a teacher gave me several plants as a welcome to school kind of thing. The plants have since multiplied and I have beena ble to split them into new plants. It's great to ask parents for plants ... I even put on my wish list if any parent could find me an small indoor tree. You may wish to ask parents to bring in fresh flowers weekly to help beautify the classroom. This is a great idea and can also be a work for the students to complete... the ideas are endless... students can plant their own flowers and watch them grow and then take them home.

For handwriting ... I still incorporate some worksheets into the classroom. They are used as a suplement to the lessons they complete in the classroom. You will find that the sandpaper letters and metal insets really help the child with pincer group and gaining strength in their hands. The students will also work on pinpunching that aids in developing the muscles in the hands to complete writing work.

As you dive deeper into training many of your questions and concerns will be addressed. You will find that many of the things happen and unfold naturally within the child. It takes patience, understanding and knowing that the true potential of the child lies within... they can do it!

5. sanderson

sanderson Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

Congratulations! Keep your classroom always live with your creativity I hope you will understand what I mean.

6. rmalfavon1982

rmalfavon1982 New Member

Aug 29, 2012

Hi, first of all Congrats. I´m in the same situation as you, i was a teacher in traditional sistem and now in two weeks i´m starting class in a montessori school and teaching spanish as well. I have been training on line, it will take a year, i´ve been trying to read as much as i can, and observing, everything in montessori is pretty much observing. How did you do with your classroom? well this training that i´m taking is excelent and the teacher is really nice. She is going to start a new one in sept, if you are interest ( just in case you need it) it´s been helping me a lot. because I was kind of lost, setting up the classroom, getting to know the sistem, going through a divorce, etc I´m still nervious and excited and the same time... Good luck. we can keep in touch if you want .