New mom back to work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bobby, Aug 5, 2012.

1. bobby

bobby Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

I teach middle school special education. I had a baby in June and will be going back to work when school starts in a couple weeks (no maternity leave). This is my first child.
    Do any of you parents have any advice on juggling parenthood and teaching?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2012

Definitely get as much done at night after your child goes to bed. This way you are ready to go in the morning.

Bring pictures to work of your child. And pack a picture or two of you for your child.

Get as much done at work, so that you can enjoy your time with your child once school starts.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2012

My twins were born in June (2 years ago) and I returned to work in late August, so I have been there. My advice:
    - make some meals ahead so it isn't such a pain when school starts, make extra freezer meals or prep crock pot meals so they can be thawed and put in the crockpot with no extra thinking! My procedure is to just make double as I make dinners, but some people spend a whole day or weekend prepping meals and freezing lots of stuff at once.
    - Do not spend your prep/conference periods chatting, get work done any spare moment you can so that you are not there any longer than you have to be
    - When you are home in the afternoons, don't do work while your baby is awake, just spend the time with the baby, if you have to do work at home, try to do it when the baby sleeps
    - accept help if your family/friends offer it (this was so hard for me and I didn't do it very well and I should have)

5. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

This will be my first year teaching and I will have a 16 mt old at home. The position is only for a year though and is a year long child care leave position. I would love some tips as well. I had planned on staying after school each day though to get stuff done or on the weekends bc I always read on here it looks bad if you don't stay after school and go home right away? My principal did say she does not require anyone to stay later then the school day though. So should I just leave right when class is done?

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2012

I would kind of wait and see what the school norm is. A lot of us in kindergarten tend to get to school extra early, but leave pretty soon after our contract time is over and some other teachers come at the last minute and stay late. If she brought it up already and you are able to get your work done, I wouldn't worry about it all that much.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

I agree with waiting to see what the other teachers in the school do. If everyone leaves after contract time, I wouldn't worry about staying late too often. You may want to stay late once in awhile just to get work completed though.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2012

Make sure you get all teh things you need for the morning around the night before so your morning runs smoothly as well!! Get your lunch packed, diaper bag, all the at fun stuff.. that way it's already and you can have a few mins with baby!!!

9. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

I returned to school last year when my son was about 5 months old. And it was HARD! Don't kick yourself if you are sad, let yourself "grieve" a little if you need to. I was a complete mess the first day back, I even cried in front of colleagues....which is not like me at all. I don't tend to be a super emotional person.

It really helps if you have all the baby stuff done and packed away at night, so your mornings are a little shorter and smoother. And I really did not stay at school any more than I had to. I used my planning time very wisely, as well as the time before students came into school. I very rarely went in early and stayed late. But I still got things done!

Also... I had my husband do the daycare drop offs so it was less sad for me!