New Mexico Sick Time used against teachers in Evaluation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachis4m3, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Apr 25, 2017

This is not just happening in NM but in other states as well.
    It'd be nice to trace this idea and its spreading back to its source.
    You can find it on a search engine by searching
    New Mexico + teacher +sick time and refining your search to within the last month.
    I have read elsewhere that a teacher that incurs over 90 days sick time can be penalized if they use 3 of it according to the new policy.
    It is also happening in neighboring states as well.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2017

I'm confused about "incurs" here. Do you mean that if a teacher has 90+ days of sick time banked up and they take 3 sick days, they will be penalized? What's the punishment?

Please provide a source/link.

MrTempest likes this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 25, 2017

Smells like a troll.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 25, 2017

What the ....???

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2017

I don't understand this either.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2017

Under the Marshall teacher evaluation rubric, attendance is one of the line items (60 line items in all). There's no "punishment", per se, but does weigh in a bit, depending on how often someone is absent but if all other line items are good it doesn't make much of a difference and a teacher can still be rated highly effective.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Apr 26, 2017

*note* The the original time was 3 now it is 6.
    "Earlier this month, Skandera and Gov. Susana Martinez announced that teachers will be able to take six sick days before it impacts the attendance portion of their evaluations.

That is fewer than the maximum number of sick days allowed for teachers under the Logan district's policies. Teachers for the district can earn one day of sick leave per month for up to a total of 90 days, according to the lawsuit."

9. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Apr 26, 2017

lɯʇɥ˙dɐ‾ʎɔᴉlod-ǝʌɐǝl-ʞɔᴉs-ɹǝʌo-pǝlᴉɟ-ʇᴉnsʍɐl/ㄥƖ/ㄣ0/ㄥƖ0ᄅ/sǝlɔᴉʇɹɐ/ɯʇ/ƃɹo˙ʞǝǝʍpǝ˙ʍʍʍ//:dʇʇɥ
    Best I can do because the site blocks links when I try it.

10. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Apr 26, 2017

It was 3 now it is 6 I believe
    It can be included in their evaluation.
    Example: Person (a) feels they don't want to take FMLA and can recover from 1-4 weeks from a surgery. They take 1 week and 2 days off and come back (7 days). They do not claim FMLA and get negative marks on their evaluation for time off (1 day of it).

It can hurt you financially to take FMLA (it all depends on the district policy on how it is paid out)
    Example:
    A possible district policy: FMLA time off can be paid from sick and personal leave time only after 7 days of leave has passed.

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 26, 2017

On one hand, I don't think you should give your employees sick leave if you aren't ultimately okay with them using each and every last day.

On the other hand, I replaced a teacher who had moved to Utah for the skiing and would leave for up to a week at a time without so much as a sub plan so he could go skiing.

While I still frown upon people getting all fussy with a person's PTO, in some ways I get it, it's annoying to have a teacher who seems to never be there.

12. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

Apr 26, 2017

That's something admin should deal with on an individual basis though, not punish everyone for a handful of people that try to abuse the system. Have meetings, do write ups, whatever, just don't make it part of the overall teacher evaluation. I used to work at a place where you got written up for being sick if you didn't have any sick days, and I thought that was extremely unfair. I think this is unfair too.

MrTempest and Backroads like this.
  13. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 26, 2017

Yes. Why give it if you're going to penalize the employee for taking it?

MrTempest likes this.
  14. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Apr 27, 2017

No one should use sick time for anything other than being sick.
    If an older teacher gets surgery and uses 3 months off and uses it with FMLA; that is ok.
    I am sorry, if someone gets caught using sick time for going and doing something that can get them injured... that is pretty odd.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 28, 2017

True, though technically at my school we have no sick leave, just a pool of PTO. Which I prefer.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 28, 2017

I really do see Paid Time Off/Sick Leave as part of the compensation package.

otterpop likes this.
  17. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 28, 2017

I think that's how it should be everywhere. If you're going to give the days, what does it matter what they're for? A day off is a day off, sick or not.

swansong1, Backroads and Caesar753 like this.
  18. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 28, 2017

You mean you don't differentiate your sub plans between illnesses, surgeries, jury duty, weddings, Comic-Con, etc.?

You're wasting the whole idea of a color-coded system!

otterpop and carolinafan like this.
  19. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 28, 2017

How the heck...?

MsAbeja and otterpop like this.
  20. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 28, 2017

:):rolleyes:

Honestly, though, I am not gone often at all, but I don't feel bad about taking a mental health day. There are days when I just need a day off for my sanity. I consider that as much of a worthy reason for a sick day as physical illness.

Our days are use them or lose them - we do get paid out a bit at the end of the year, but it's not much, and they don't roll over. I never use them all, or even half of them, and we don't get very many.

Backroads and Peregrin5 like this.
  21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2017

We used to be able to bank our days, but we have lost that ability (and lost all banked days, but that's a different story). I never take all that I am entitled to, but don't feel guilty when I do take time. Our sick days are the result of hard-fought contract negotiations, if no one takes them, it's hard to argue that they are needed.

22. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 30, 2017

We can bank up to a small amount, which is nice, or be paid for unused days. Our contract explicitly encourages us to use our days. I find it a nice view of things.

otterpop likes this.
  23. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 1, 2017

We have no ask days but we have to sign a form that says they are being used for a certain list of activities that could not be done outside of work hours.

That said, I think there is a point here being ignored. I would not ever want to argue that my students do just fine without me in the classroom - especially for a significant amount of time. That seems far more dangerous for us as a profession than arguing I can be gone 10 days since it is in my contract. I add great value to my classroom and I'd expect to evaluated poorly if I wasn't - whether I'm there or not.

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 1, 2017

I certainly agree that our students do better when we are the ones teaching them. At the same time, schools are germ factories, and teachers likely get sick more often than the general public. (At least it feels that way to me, but I admit I haven't seen any stats on this one way or the other.) For me, this factor combined with my small children being in daycare means that I take a fair number of sick days. I also take sick days for things like dental appointments and well checks (for my kids) because my school has extended hours and there are no providers who take appointments that I can get to after school. It stinks, but it's the reality for people who need to make doctor appointments and who occasionally get sick themselves. I'm grateful that I have the days built into my contract because I need at least some of them from time to time. I'd be very unhappy about getting docked on my eval for taking my kid to get 4-month shots. To me this seems like one of those places where being a teacher sort of collides with being a real person. Sometimes being a real person needs to take precedence, even when it means that a class ends up with a sub for the day.

carolinafan likes this.
  25. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

May 1, 2017

¿ʇɐɥʍ
    Charmap