New member--interview report/freakout

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mandaisepic, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

New member--hiring journal

Hey guys, I am new here, joined because 1. this site was helpful to me when passing my certification exams and 2. I am about to LOSE IT over the job hunt.

I had a committee interview on Wednesday for an inclusion position at a middle school. I felt it went well, I really liked the vibe of the people present, and the principal. At first, I was anxious, because I was not expecting a panel interview. One or two of my answers were less than eloquent, but I think I pulled it off by kind of laughing at myself.

I hit my stride a few minutes in, made sure to make eye contact with everyone, remembered to breathe, and (I think) gave some great answers. By the end of the interview, all the interviewers seemed genuinely happy I was there. The canned questions were over, but we sat and discussed my answers, and I asked them some about their school, and I just generally felt really comfortable there, as if we were all out for coffee and a chat. They really wanted to know about my personal characteristics, and I told them, among other things, that I was driven and had very high expectations of the people around me (which is true).

The principal walked me back to the front doors, and told me that if I was invited back for a second interview with her, I would hear tonight (Monday night). She then shook my hand and told me, "I also am driven, and I also have very high expectations; and it is very important to me to find someone who really fits in here."

I can't think of a scenario where she would say something like that if she wasn't pleased with my performance.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's late July, and I am about to lose my mind. I want this job. It would be perfect for me. I know they had more interviews this afternoon, and I should hear by phone call this evening, IF they want me back. I am going to be sitting by my phone anxiously wondering when "afternoon" ends and "evening" begins! :unsure:

My family is sick of hearing about it, though they are supportive, so I thought I would unload my story and my worries on internet strangers. Hooray! :woot:

:|

I will be sure to update this if I hear anything. And I hope everyone else's job searches are going better than mine.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2011

Keeping fingers crossed for you!

4. wvteach

wvteach Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

Best of luck!!! :thumb:

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2011

I hope it works out... Good luck.

6. BlueskyFL

BlueskyFL Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

Good luck!! :thumb:

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 25, 2011

Hope it works out! Anyone that loves middle school is an angel! Hope you hear something soon!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2011

Let us know!

9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 25, 2011

Sure sounds positive. I'm waiting on two jobs myself. I know...it's awful. Fingers crossed for you!

10. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

So did they call????????!!!!!!

11. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

If they haven't called yet, it doesn't mean they won't call. You hear it here all of the time. The P promises to let you know by a certain time/day and something happens.

It sounds promising. Fingers crossed!

12. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

They never called last night. I have to admit I was a wreck, waiting by the phone...several OTHER people called, and I would jump up and grab my phone, and then realize it was a friend :mad:

I keep telling myself it doesn't really mean anything. After all they had more interviews yesterday afternoon, if those ran a little late, I can't imagine they would stay in the office until the late evening making decisions and calling people. Plus, it's just rude to call after 8, IMO.

So I am hoping I will hear today. If I don't hear by this afternoon, I'm going to call. Because the principal DID give me a timeline, and said things will happen rather quickly once they made this decision. She said if someone wasn't invited back, they would get a letter, but I'm NOT waiting that long to find out.

We'll see, keep wishing me luck. I do love middle school, I remember how hard middle school was and I just really like making middle schoolers' lives a little better. It is an awkward time.

13. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

I keep reliving the interview in my head and doubting some of my answers :(

I just need to acknowledge that nothing can change what happened, and that I had a good vibe when I walked out, so something must have gone right.

This is all so subjective, it's tough, because a good candidate is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. Has anyone else noticed that the more days pass after an interview, the more muddled your memory of it becomes? It all sort of blends together and you're trying to remember the looks on their faces, their reactions to answers, etc. but it's like it's a dream, it's underwater.

I just keep hanging on to the fact that when I asked them about their school, at the end of the interview, the panel kept using the second person. "You will have access to PLCs, which are so helpful." "You will notice that we are very collaborative, we all sit around and mull things over, and brainstorm." "The administration here is so great to our SPED department; they will always make sure you have anything you need."

GAH, I am thinking too much!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

Get out of the house.

Go shopping, go to the beach or the pool, go to the library (hit the computers there and find other schools to which to apply.) Go for a run or to the gym or out for ice cream.

But you know the saying-- "A watched pot never boils." Watching the phone isn't good for your blood pressure, and won't change whatever their decision is.

15. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

I WAS going to take your advice, Alice, but then I got an email from a different district for a resource reading position. :D Glad I stayed in. Helps me realize that the world won't end if I don't get this specific job.

16. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

Oh jeez, she wants me to interview today at 3. I know nothing about her school. Time for research!!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

Good luck!

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 26, 2011

good luck! You must be doing something right if you are getting interviews!

19. BlueskyFL

BlueskyFL Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

Wow! Opportunity is certainly knocking! Send a little of your luck to all of us still searching and waiting, k? ;)

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

YAY!!!! That's GREAT!!!!

21. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jul 26, 2011

Good luck!!

22. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

sending you good vibes and crossing my fingers you hear great news soon

23. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

Absolutely. Although all the interviews in the world won't make me feel confident...when I sign that contract, I'll feel better :haha:

I have sent out >400 resumes in the last month or so. :eek:hmy: So I should be getting interviews! Most of my emails have gotten no response, a bunch have gotten "thanks but we aren't hiring," and it can be depressing, but both of these interviews are a result of my direct emails. No openings were posted. So hang in there and just keep emailing.

Thanks for the wishes of luck, everybody. I'll keep this thread updated.

24. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

Today's interview went horrible. At the beginning, she spent ten minutes asking me if I'd ever used specific curricula and software. Then she asked me 3 scenario questions. Then she complained about parking for another ten minutes.

I knew I didn't want to work there about halfway through, after this exchange:

P: "We have a lot of bilingual classes, mostly Spanish, but last year I hired a bilingual teacher who speaks Asian." *excited smile*
    Me: "Oh...that's great!"
    My brain: "Asian" isn't a language.

She also kept interrupting my answers to ask the next question, even though I wasn't rambling. I could barely get a word in edgewise. She asked me NO questions about myself, my personality, my philosophy, or any of those great questions that have led to good discussions in my other interviews.

Guys, it was so bad, it was laughable. I walked out of there not disappointed, but highly amused. Lots of people will say you should take a teaching job anywhere in this economy, but I would rather work retail again than work with that principal. :lol:

Thought this story might make some of you feel better about your recent interviews :lol:

25. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jul 26, 2011

Yikes. I haven't heard of the "Asian" language, either. It hasn't been that long since the interview at the school you like, so I have my fingers crossed for you.

26. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

well i made some mistakes but i desert another chance

27. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

:confused:

28. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

I called up my CT from student teaching and she is now a dept. head at a magnet school. She has 3 SPED openings. If I don't get a firm offer from the middle school I liked, I'll be in there next week.

I can breathe. I have options. The world will not end if I don't get one particular job. *channels inner shaman*

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

You may deserve a second chance, but some mistakes tend to follow us and make a shot at those chances really difficult...how is your search going? I wish you luck.

30. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

I hope it works out in your favor.