New Math teacher

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Lareigna, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 10, 2008

I am a new 6th grade math teacher and I have a lot of questions about the curriculum. Last year I taught Language Arts for my first year and loved it. I feel like I am starting all over again learning a whole new curriculum. Any help is greatly appreciated. Can anyone define magnitude of numbers for me and how to go about introducing it?

Thank you :confused:

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

I am definitely NOT a mathematician or 6th grade math teacher but here are some suggestions... Do you have a text book? Grab the teachers copy. Also, talk to your team. Is there another teacher at your school who teaches 6th grade math? Take him/her out to lunch this summer and ask tons of questions!!!! You'll be just fine. Sorry I can't help with the magnitude of numbers... eeek- i honestly don't have any idea what that is....Yikes!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2008

In what context are you using the term? Did you see it in your standards or something? Perhaps they mean place value. Mastery of place value positions, particularly with decimals, is very important in MS math.

Can you be more specific about your concerns? There are quite a few great math teachers on here who have posted about teaching MS math.

What math textbook publisher will you be using?

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

I teach math. I love it. By magnitude of numbers, do you mean exponentials? I try to teach everything by relating it to something that they already know or having them do some kind of problem to get them thinking about the relationship between the new material and old material. I try to give them a problem and have them strategize ways to solve it before I give them an algorithm to solve problems. I want them to be able to understand why something works, not just that it works.

6. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I teach 6th grade math as well . . . I LOVE IT! It's really a great age group and a rather fun subject. I taught three regular math classes last year and two "recovery" classes. (students identified just below grade level who need just a little extra help and a smaller class) I think one of the main focuses in 6th grade math is place value . . . I'm thinking that might be what magnitude of numbers means - maybe! You'll love your teaching job! Have tons of fun!

7. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 11, 2008

Thank you everyone who replied to my call out for help.

Trayums- first congrats on your recent wedding, and thank you for your vote of confience.

Upsadaisy - I got the term from the GLE's under numbers and operations. The text I am using is Glencoe Mathematics Applications and Connetions. The other part is I am not sure what to teach first, I know there are things I have to teach between Sept and Jan but is there a good order?

Cheeryteacher - Thanks your your post. I totally agree with what you said.

Dynamite Boys - Thanks for your comments. I do like 6th grade, I taught LA last year. The kids were great. There is just so much they need to know and I'm confused about the order to teach it all in. Is there a better order?

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 11, 2008

I teach 7th grade math...and was in your shoes when I first started.

My first year of teaching was 4th grade...then they moved me to 3r grade. Then back to 4th grade but only science/social studies. Then 4th but taught reading. Then I moved to 7th grade math (Its now my third year teaching it).

You will learn (reteach yourself) quite a bit as needed. There's so many concepts we once knew (as students) and it comes back to you. Just review and practice skills with the textbook and you will be just fine with the subjet matter.

Teaching language arts first is a huge advantage because math vocabulary is something you will need to address. You can use similar lessons and vocabulary techniques with your students and it will really help out.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2008

I used the Glencoe course I text last year for my low MS math class. It was fine. I added in scientific notation, but otherwise pretty much used the workbook with additional handouts for practice. I moved around some topics (geometry, for one) and made sure the kids were solid on fractions and long division in the beginning of the year.

10. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Thanks Paperheart for the support. The math coach is excited that I'm coming from LA to Math, expecially to help in using the test vocab in the class everyday.

Upsadaisy, we don't have a workbook, all we havae is the text. I have to come up with all my own extra activities. I actually went out to get supplememntal material to help. The math coach suggested geometry first, but I see where you are coming from. I actually don't teach fractions until the second half of the year as per th curriculum map. Some of the order doesn't make sense.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

12. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 14, 2008

Upsadaisy - Thanks for the links I will have to check them out.:thanks:

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2008

You are welcome. And don't forget the Glencoe site. They have quite a bit there.