New Math Games

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by H2H, Jan 10, 2011.

1. H2H

H2H Rookie

Jan 10, 2011

Okay, not all the games are new, but still. . .

I was told about a website that has a new download for teachers with a HUGE amount of math games you can do with a deck of playing cards. I used it today for the first time and it was great. I found exactly what I needed (adding positive and negative integers) in a game format to support the lesson. I also found an added benefit.

Each game is on a page by itself so I put the game instructions on the overhead projector (fifth grade class) and had the students read it with a partner (comprehension) and figure out how to play the game themselves. Most of the class was able to figure it out. It was a great way to bring in reading comprehension during math time.

You can Google the site by looking up "positive engagement project." I was told about them before but never looked them up. Now I'm glad I did. They have other stuff too that looks pretty cool.

H2H

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 10, 2011

why not just post a link?

4. dudeteacher

dudeteacher Rookie

Jan 10, 2011

I'm not allowed to post links yet, I guess we have to have enough posts before it's allowed (not sure). Anyways, there are tons of games out there, some for computer labs and others for classroom. I like using fun brain for a lot of games and study island.

5. H2H

H2H Rookie

Jan 11, 2011

When I read the disclaimer when registering (I'm new to this site) I thought it said I couldn't put links. Is this not the case? If I'm allowed I will. I don't want to get kicked off when I just got in.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 11, 2011

I don't know for sure H2H. Check with a moderator.

7. tnv

tnv Rookie

Jan 11, 2011

I found their site thanks to your post H2H, those math games rock! I used them with my kids today and they loved them. The great news is, there are another 50 + games for us to look at. Thanks for the post....I'll check out their other stuff too.

TNV

8. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jan 11, 2011

9. bondo

bondo Cohort

Jan 11, 2011

Thanks for the post. There is some great stuff on this site.

10. dudeteacher

dudeteacher Rookie

Jan 12, 2011

PEP math games

I've used been using the Acing Math, which has been a lot of fun. Also, since my school is tech heavy, we use a lot of study island, but my kids are responding to these manipulative games much more. I read the mini intro to the card games and they seem to have hit it on the head. Kids like to play games and using the cards have some key benefits. I highly reccomend the site for the math games (and other stuff as well)

11. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Jan 12, 2011

Yea I love using a deck of cards for games, I always have my deck up the front of my room. This is a card game I made up myself, it's pretty basic but my class enjoys it. It's called Number Target.

12. H2H

H2H Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

I just read your game idea. It sounds great. I'm going to try it today. Thanks for the idea.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2011

H2H, you won't get thrown off the site for attempting to post a link (though the post containing the link will be impounded, so to speak, till you've got a certain number of successful posts under your belt).